Devils’ coaching move could be close

Rock

Just because a few rookie coaches didn't work out could mean another rookie coach wont either.

I hardly consider Brent Sutter's time here a failure, so that's 1 for 2 since the lockout. Sutter was handed the worst team the Devils have iced in some time and made the playoffs.

I'd be just fine with Eaves as coach - he has a long track record and he could be here for a while.

Edited by Triumph

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

Johnny didn't have a good system the Devils were used to. Tallinder called him out on that after he left. A rookie could do good for the job pending his system.

FWIW, just read over on HF that as of today, Eaves has denied having any contact with the Devils.

Which would make perfect sense since if you want to work with Lou Lamoriello you don't talk to the press about it. So how long before he signs. :koolaid::evil::koolaid:

That doesn't make any sense. John MacLean's struggles have no effect on this year's coach, rookie or not. You're saying that no rookie coaches can ever have success, which simply isn't true.

I did not say that. I deliberately phrased my words as another rookie coach could not succeed. JMAC failed, Sutter left for rookie coach reasons.

I did not say that. I deliberately phrased my words as another rookie coach could not succeed. JMAC failed, Sutter left for rookie coach reasons.

lol since when does personal coach reasons = rookie coach reasons? Sutter wasn't a failure and he wasn't around long enough to be a success but plenty of rookie coaches have been successes elsewhere, with big markets and little markets. I see no intrinsic reason why it can't happen here. And when the veteran choices out there are meh, there's no reason to limit the pool to them.

I confess I thought he sounded cool.

This will make the "Devs ink Hitch" headlines all the more nauseating. or Ramsey.

Yeah seriously...it kinda does sound like Eaves is the first choice and Ramsey's the fallback and it also sounds like Eaves doesn't want to leave. Which is too bad since he's got a nice resume but I don't want a Sutter II either.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Via Star Ledger:

New Jersey GM had a brief update on the team's search for a new head coach at the draft this past weekend.

"Nothing yet," he said. "Until we get one, we're not close. But it won't be long." Former Atlanta Thrashers coach Craig Ramsay and University of Wisconsin bench boss Mike Eaves are thought be among the top candidates for the

However Mike Eaves denied any chance of him being the Devils coach.

A seasoned coach is less likely to quit and go running for his family

That might be (arguably) true, but a seasoned coach is most likely older and therefore more likely to retire as well. But none of this should be what we're concerned about. We need a good coach, not a coach who is likely to stay a long time. I doubt JMac was going to go running to his family, but it doesn't matter because he was a bad coach who couldn't last half a season anyway. We need to hire the best coach we can find regardless of age or NHL experience. We can take our chances with retirement/random decisions to move closer to family later.

I think asst. coaches that have been "in the system" are doomed to failure. When Jim Playfair succeeded Darryl Sutter, he said he never got total autonomy. JMac imo never got it either. The first test of this (and most of you will think this was a small incident)when P3l picked a fight in the last minutes of a game, JMac was fined 10K because it happened in the last 5 minutes of the game. Lou packed his bags (P3L)and sent him into exile, never to be thought of again. He was good buddies with Kovy. That was when Jmac totally lost the team. That lou was really calling the shots.

I think our next coach will come from nhl asst coaching ranks.

If Larry Robinson would take the job, no way will he succeed. Whoever it is, they must come from outside this organization. and be at the helm without looking over their shoulder.

I think asst. coaches that have been "in the system" are doomed to failure. When Jim Playfair succeeded Darryl Sutter, he said he never got total autonomy. JMac imo never got it either. The first test of this (and most of you will think this was a small incident)when P3l picked a fight in the last minutes of a game, JMac was fined 10K because it happened in the last 5 minutes of the game. Lou packed his bags (P3L)and sent him into exile, never to be thought of again. He was good buddies with Kovy. That was when Jmac totally lost the team. That lou was really calling the shots.

I think our next coach will come from nhl asst coaching ranks.

If Larry Robinson would take the job, no way will he succeed. Whoever it is, they must come from outside this organization. and be at the helm without looking over their shoulder.

Agree 100%. I think the assistant coaches with the Devils are known as the 'good cops', being around the team so much. The team gets too comfortable seeing them as friends when you get the dictator Lemaire and Sutter head coaches, especially.

The first test of this (and most of you will think this was a small incident)when P3l picked a fight in the last minutes of a game, JMac was fined 10K because it happened in the last 5 minutes of the game. Lou packed his bags (P3L)and sent him into exile, never to be thought of again. He was good buddies with Kovy. That was when Jmac totally lost the team. That lou was really calling the shots.

The problem with that is at that time it was extremely selfish to pick a fight in a blowout with the roster problems we had at that time (having to dress 15 players the next game or so), so PL3 really did deserve a kick in the ****. Fighters who can't play are a dime a dozen anyway, I really doubt arguably heavy-handed treatment of the 21st guy on a 20 man roster had anything to do with the fact Mac just couldn't coach in the NHL.