What is the Devils Plan of Action Now Thread

grcenter47

Everyone trashes Alex Semin for no reason in my opinion. He has potential. Did anyone see him this postseason? One of the only Capitals other than Holtby who DID play with "heart" (What does that even mean? Seriously.) He played as Hunter asked him to, blocking shots and backchecking hard. Has a laser of a shot. True scoring talent. Who is to say that he can't be coached into being a better player? And for those who say he's never been invested in WSH... Sometimes players need a change of scenery. I think he would be a great pickup as long as we don't overpay for him. He would definitely help replace the scoring in ZP's place, and if we could also get a full year of Zajac (expected) then we would be doing just fine.

Of course, who knows if he even wants to come here. I'd be a huge fan of that though. Just go to RMNB (Russian Machine Never Breaks), a Cap's blog. They love the guy. And remember, no players are perfect. But I think he could help.

He's a cross between Alex Kovelev and Max Affinaganhov. I've watched nearly every game of Semin's the last 6 years and his offensive upside is incredible. His snapshot is wicked and his offense isn't a one-trick-pony toe-drag that Ovechkin has developed into. Semin's problem is his heart is maddening and his hockey sense is brutal. You think David Clarkson does dumb things on the ice? Just wait until you get Semin whose a dumb offensive zone penalty taking machine. He had teammates and Russian teammates to guide him already in Washington (Ovechkin, Federov) and a run of player-friendly coaches and that still didn't work. The Capitals beating the Bruins and going 7 with the Rangers spoke more about Boston and New York's anemic offenses going against 1-line teams than it spoke for Hunter turning Semin and the Caps into a defensive dynamo.

I wouldn't touch Semin with a 29 1/2 foot pole.

He's a cross between Alex Kovelev and Max Affinaganhov. I've watched nearly every game of Semin's the last 6 years and his offensive upside is incredible. His snapshot is wicked and his offense isn't a one-trick-pony toe-drag that Ovechkin has developed into. Semin's problem is his heart is maddening and his hockey sense is brutal. You think David Clarkson does dumb things on the ice? Just wait until you get Semin whose a dumb offensive zone penalty taking machine. He had teammates and Russian teammates to guide him already in Washington (Ovechkin, Federov) and a run of player-friendly coaches and that still didn't work. The Capitals beating the Bruins and going 7 with the Rangers spoke more about Boston and New York's anemic offenses going against 1-line teams than it spoke for Hunter turning Semin and the Caps into a defensive dynamo.

I wouldn't touch Semin with a 29 1/2 foot pole.

How can he be that bad?!?

õt sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but how plausible do you think a trade for Bobby Ryan would be? I know he grew up a Flyers fan but he is a Jersey guy and may not be as intense, but can match the 30 plus goals a year like Parise. Plus it'd be great to see him take #9 lol

õt sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but how plausible do you think a trade for Bobby Ryan would be? I know he grew up a Flyers fan but he is a Jersey guy and may not be as intense, but can match the 30 plus goals a year like Parise. Plus it'd be great to see him take #9 lol

Would likely cost too much to get him in terms of assets. I like him alot as a player, but I do not see this as a reality. The easiest plug in of offense would be to sign Semin...but I do not see that happening either.

Well they seemed to have room to give Zach a mega deal, didn't they? Semin shouldn't be a problem...

No, they didn't. Ilych, Babcock and Draper cancelled their meeting with Zach to focus on Suter.

How can he be that bad?!?

He's not that bad. Yes, Semin has a reputation right now, but he has the talent to turn it around. I think he just needs the right people around him. He's not going to get that in Washington with wild man Ovechkin as his best bro.

Id much rather take a risk on Semin than just about anyone else out there that's UFA. He's that gifted. I just think our financial status will prevent us from taking that risk. Zach is a different story since he's our product and we knew what we were getting.

i'd like to get a guy like TJ Oshie or something through trades... i dont think its possible though

I love Oshie and he's a stud, but I imagine he's untouchable.

If Semin could be the best player in the league - which he could not - then we should definitely sign him. Anyways, all this "he said, she said" stuff is stupid. The experienced posters on here won't say a damn thing about anything that goes on off the ice that's not a 100% confirmed offense. Your post reads like a 9th grader's gossip text message.

Actually the problem is it is something you don't want to hear. Which is understandable. But these are credible people in the industry, who are with the players on and off the ice. It's even his own teammate. This doesn't happen a lot, so there has to be something there.

I would rather do my homework on a player than just blindly pay him anything he wants before making such a commitment.

That is all I am saying. The fact that there really is no market for him, is good for us.

i'd like to get a guy like TJ Oshie or something through trades... i dont think its possible though

I like Oshie a lot

He's not that bad. Yes, Semin has a reputation right now, but he has the talent to turn it around. I think he just needs the right people around him. He's not going to get that in Washington with wild man Ovechkin as his best bro.

Id much rather take a risk on Semin than just about anyone else out there that's UFA. He's that gifted. I just think our financial status will prevent us from taking that risk. Zach is a different story since he's our product and we knew what we were getting.

I love Oshie and he's a stud, but I imagine he's untouchable.

If we had the money for Zach, why not use SOME of that cash on Semin?!?

Are you joking?

He has been stocked with talent these past few years and a coach let gave him the green light to produce. Ovechkin gave him carte blanche to succeed, in fact the majority of Semin's points came when he played alongside of AO.

He has talent, but he is all about the money, not winning. I would give him a 1-year deal for $3.5 with incentives for WINNING and give him a chance to prove everyone wrong about him in the hockey world.

No, they didn't. Ilych, Babcock and Draper cancelled their meeting with Zach to focus on Suter.

I was referring to the Pens

Are you joking?

He has been stocked with talent these past few years and a coach let gave him the green light to produce. Ovechkin gave him carte blanche to succeed, in fact the majority of Semin's points came when he played alongside of AO.

He has talent, but he is all about the money, not winning. I would give him a 1-year deal for $3.5 with incentives for WINNING and give him a chance to prove everyone wrong about him in the hockey world.

No way he signs a 1 yr deal for $3.5 right now, especially because of how weak the free agent group is.....

If we had the money for Zach, why not use SOME of that cash on Semin?!?

If I was GM, I'd be after Semin. I just don't think Lou will go after Semin hard. I think we're going to get priced out by teams not in financial straits and that Lou will have a limit on what he would be prepared to offer him.

Zach is a completely different beast. We knew EXACTLY what we were going to get if we re-signed him since he was here 7 years and was Captain. I also think that Zach brings other intangibles, like marketing to the table. We're not going to get the same value for Semin as we would for Zach most likely. There are ?'s about Semin's character as its been pointed out ad nauseum by RedArmy. No one can deny this. Its much more of a risk with Semin than it is with Zach.

Are you joking?

My comment on Ovechkin has nothing to do with Ovechkin on the ice. Ovechkin is a party animal, yet can still get up and play the next day. Semin is not the same guy. And Semin's agents wouldnt even listen to you if you offered that. He's going to get more money and more years.

Edited by ghdi

If I was GM, I'd be after Semin. I just don't think Lou will go after Semin hard. I think we're going to get priced out by teams not in financial straits and that Lou will have a limit on what he would be prepared to offer him.

Zach is a completely different beast. We knew EXACTLY what we were going to get if we re-signed him since he was here 7 years and was Captain. I also think that Zach brings other intangibles, like marketing to the table. We're not going to get the same value for Semin as we would for Zach most likely. There are ?'s about Semin's character as its been pointed out ad nauseum by RedArmy. No one can deny this. Its much more of a risk with Semin than it is with Zach.

My comment on Ovechkin has nothing to do with Ovechkin on the ice. Ovechkin is a party animal, yet can still get up and play the next day. Semin is not the same guy.

Yes we did know what we were getting with Zach, but Semin would be the beginning of replacing Parise's point production that we will be without this season. Marketing?!?!? Do the Devils even have a marketing department??!?!? We are notorious for not marketing players, but instead the team itself. I know Semin has been dogged on by just about everyone in the hockey world, but if any destination could whip him into shape it could be NJ. We have vets on the team that will give him a correct bitchslap if needbe, and our likely captain is a fellow Russian. I think he just may be a good fit here! Initially I had a "NO WAY!" outlook on him, but the more I think about it...the more it makes sense. With that being said, I would not want to throw him a boatload of cash to get him. We will see, but I do not expect he joins NJ whatsoever...would be a nice bonus though after losin the Cap'n!

Wait a minute? Goals from the top of the circle?

Do you mean Zach couldn't score from there?!?

I would rather do my homework on a player than just blindly pay him anything he wants before making such a commitment.

That is all I am saying. The fact that there really is no market for him, is good for us.

There's plenty market for Semin I'm sure. I agree on doing the HW on the character of a player but this is nothing. Many players don't like many of their teammates. The reason you don't hear more criticism is because they are above it, they are taught to be disciplined this way. The fact that Semin's former teammate opened his mouth, says something negative about that guys character, not Semin.

and ok, so he rubbed Pierre Mcguire the wrong way. Pierre has rubbed quite a few guys...the wrong way. (bad phrasing?)

point is, the stuff you're bringing up is 9th grade gossip stuff. meaningless. tell me when he elbows a player in the jaw on the ice. tell me when he goes out partying the night before a playoff game. tell me when he gets a DUI. tell me when he skips practice. tell me when he hires a hitman to kill his former coach. DON'T tell me when a couple people say they don't like him.

There's plenty market for Semin I'm sure. I agree on doing the HW on the character of a player but this is nothing. Many players don't like many of their teammates. The reason you don't hear more criticism is because they are above it, they are taught to be disciplined this way. The fact that Semin's former teammate opened his mouth, says something negative about that guys character, not Semin.

and ok, so he rubbed Pierre Mcguire the wrong way. Pierre has rubbed quite a few guys...the wrong way. (bad phrasing?)

point is, the stuff you're bringing up is 9th grade gossip stuff. meaningless. tell me when he elbows a player in the jaw on the ice. tell me when he goes out partying the night before a playoff game. tell me when he gets a DUI. tell me when he skips practice. tell me when he hires a hitman to kill his former coach. DON'T tell me when a couple people say they don't like him.

Craig MacTavish killed someone while driving drunk, but he was and is still respected around the league.

Dude, Pierre McGuire will be the first one to say the Penguins made a smart decision and they are unstoppable if the Pens sign Semin.

Pierre "Go have fun out there!" McGuire tries his best to rub every player he gets an interview with...it was nauseating looking at his goofy ass drooling over the players while he sat in his little perch in between the benches. I wish he got the Montreal gig so we did not have to see him on TV anymore.