What is the Devils Plan of Action Now Thread

grcenter47

Craig MacTavish killed someone while driving drunk, but he was and is still respected around the league.

Dude, Pierre McGuire will be the first one to say the Penguins made a smart decision and they are unstoppable if the Pens sign Semin.

um...agreed.

Yes we did know what we were getting with Zach, but Semin would be the beginning of replacing Parise's point production that we will be without this season. Marketing?!?!? Do the Devils even have a marketing department??!?!? We are notorious for not marketing players, but instead the team itself. I know Semin has been dogged on by just about everyone in the hockey world, but if any destination could whip him into shape it could be NJ. We have vets on the team that will give him a correct bitchslap if needbe, and our likely captain is a fellow Russian. I think he just may be a good fit here! Initially I had a "NO WAY!" outlook on him, but the more I think about it...the more it makes sense. With that being said, I would not want to throw him a boatload of cash to get him. We will see, but I do not expect he joins NJ whatsoever...would be a nice bonus though after losin the Cap'n!

Again, I DONT DISAGREE WITH YOU. I am for Semin being signed by the Devils, I just don't think the Devils will do it and/or they will be outbid by another team. If this franchise wasn't in a financial bind, I could see us being more competitive for Semin.

And yes marketing. Zach's jersey/merch sales were high + he's likely going to be captain of the national team in 2 years. He brings more to the table than Semin does in that respect. Now if Semin came here and lit it up (and I think he's capable) we'd likely get that boost, but if he came here with his head up his ass, he'd not. There is a risk signing Semin and I agree that this is the type of place he could thrive, I just don't think the Devils are going to take the risk, that's all.

Zach is one of the most well liked players in the entire league. Fans of other teams liked him when he was here and wanted him on their teams. On the flipside, Semin is one of the most maligned players in the league and few want him on their teams.

Pierre "Go have fun out there!" McGuire tries his best to rub every player he gets an interview with...it was nauseating looking at his goofy ass drooling over the players while he sat in his little perch in between the benches. I wish he got the Montreal gig so we did not have to see him on TV anymore.

Montreal fans deserve him. They're the worst road fans EVER.

Are you joking?

He has been stocked with talent these past few years and a coach let gave him the green light to produce. Ovechkin gave him carte blanche to succeed, in fact the majority of Semin's points came when he played alongside of AO.

He has talent, but he is all about the money, not winning. I would give him a 1-year deal for $3.5 with incentives for WINNING and give him a chance to prove everyone wrong about him in the hockey world.

It is amazing how this rhetoric pervades NHL thought. Amazing.

Okay, Semin came back into the league in 2006-07. There are 14 players who've scored more goals than him over that time. He ranks 7th in goals per game.

Oh, but his defense must be weak, right? He's been a + Corsi player all 5 years of the Corsi era. He has been given a lot of offensive zone starts, but hey, he's a great scorer. Not a fan of +/- because it minimizes zone starts and things, but he is a +67 over the last 6 years, which ranks 17th among forwards.

Most frequent forward linemates last year: Marcus Johansson (who is horrible), Jason Chimera (who is a 3rd line grinder). 2010-11? Alex Ovechkin is ranked as his 6th most frequent linemate. Brooks Laich is #1. 2009-10? Ovechkin ranked 4th. 08-09, Ovechkin is ranked #1. In 07-08, Ovechkin is not ranked. They didn't play together that much at ES.

I'm not totally sold on Semin, his offensive zone penalties are horrible, but they're also partly a result of going after the puck - Zach Parise got penalties that way too. But he could be better than the market thinks he is.

Okay, Semin came back into the league in 2006-07. There are 14 players who've scored more goals than him over that time. He ranks 7th in goals per game.

Oh, but his defense must be weak, right? He's been a + Corsi player all 5 years of the Corsi era. He has been given a lot of offensive zone starts, but hey, he's a great scorer. Not a fan of +/- because it minimizes zone starts and things, but he is a +67 over the last 6 years, which ranks 17th among forwards.

Most frequent forward linemates last year: Marcus Johansson (who is horrible), Jason Chimera (who is a 3rd line grinder). 2010-11? Alex Ovechkin is ranked as his 6th most frequent linemate. Brooks Laich is #1. 2009-10? Ovechkin ranked 4th. 08-09, Ovechkin is ranked #1. In 07-08, Ovechkin is not ranked. They didn't play together that much at ES.

I'm not totally sold on Semin, his offensive zone penalties are horrible, but they're also partly a result of going after the puck - Zach Parise got penalties that way too. But he could be better than the market thinks he is.

So inquiring minds NEED to know...Tri, the stat guru...if you are Lou, what deal do you offer Semin? (years and total value)

Don't forget a career +83 and career 408 points 2 points less than ZP in 32 less games.

Okay, so what I am gathering here is that because Marc Crawford (now a head coach in Switzerland) Pierre (seriously, did someone reference Pierre) and Matt Bradley said he doesn't care, it must be true.

Give the man a chance in a new system, a successful system with outstanding leadership and veteran presence. He can be an extremely valuable asset.

Per Єklund (2.3% accurate):

http://www.hockeybuz...-Semin/1/45454

On Alex Semin...

This is shaping up to be an interesting race, but one team very eager to get Semin under contract appears to be the NJ Devils...The Devils do need to add scoring in the wake of losing their captain.

fvck! This means we're not even interested.

Edited by ben00rs

You never know. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

He just throws sh!t at the wall and sees what sticks. If I was a rumor guy, I'd have us in on Semin because it makes sense considering we just lost one of our leading scorers.

Its just funny because the only ones that have us in on him are the rumor mongers right now.

eh, it's a complete mystery right now. His agent is being very cagey:

Dmitry Chesnokov@dchesnokovGandler, Semin's agent, gives no hints whatsoever. The best I could get out of him was "Semin's priority is to sign with an NHL team."

well thats bad news... i could imagine Lou warning an agent to say exactly those words if someone ask lol

It would be cool to land Semin after all this speculation. When was the last time this board was right about landing a big fish? I think Kovy.

I see very few on here predicting we'll get Semin. I see people that want him or would be open to it.

Kovy most definitely. The rumors were substantial.