Photo

NFL Championship Sunday (and post-season awards too)

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

Yeah, 1986 seems like a mighty long time ago. The Jets and Mets are almost the same franchise...embarrassment and buffoonery seem to have a way of following both teams around.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#22 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

..now that my juvenal gloating is out of the way, let me be serious for a moment. I think Brady is the best quarterback in football.
I have all the respect you can have for what Bill & Tom have accomplished throughout their careers joined at the hip. The fact that they've lost only 38 regular season games of their last 170, dating all the way back to 2002, is nothing short of remarkable. However, the 8-7 record they've now tailored during the playoffs since 2005, and the 20 interceptions by Brady through the span to go along, is STUNNING. Absolutely stunning! Even the biggest Pats-holics are calling them chokers, and it's tough to say otherwise. Especially considering the fact that 2 of those 8 victories were literally handed to them last season from Baltimore & Denver.

No matter what happens, B&B got the 3 title's, and are sure fire HOFer's when their career(s) end. But you gotta believe it would eat at the both of them if they weren't able to exonerate a .500 playoff record (or worse) the 10-15 years after their last SB. Take it from me, when you go to 2 back-to-back AFC Championship games, it is extremely difficult to make noise the following year. Brady turns 36 in August, so they still have a 2-3 year window to remain a dominate force. But the mold will begin to protrude if they fail to go deep next season.

No one will ever know the full extent in how Spygate aided them during their *dynasty ;-)
-but coincidence or not, it's almost like it cursed them every season they don't win it from here on out. The difference between when the Jets blew the whistle then and now though.. is that NOW they're cultivating the playoff record to fuel the fire. It's almost become a yearly tradition everytime they lose. A zillion articles get recycled on the web.. ESPN shows before\after 2007 graphics for the next 3 days.. Spygate trends worldwide.. different high profile players begin to tweet jabs their way.. and we rinse repeat next season.

It warms my heart even more that that little a$$hole Welker STILL is ringless since going to New England. I can't stand that little sh!t stain.

..and the best part is, after tonight they'll probably make the mistake of letting him walk next season.

Really happy to see Brady and the Pats sent home.

..gotta admit, as a Jet fan, it's been consolatory seeing that "sh!t my pants" look on the faces of New England for the last 8 years when the post-season rolls around.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#23 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

I see a lot of fans angry at Welker for a drop, but you throw the ball to him so many times, he is bound to drop one or two. It was a bad one, but he has pretty much been the key for NE for how many years? He has driven teams crazy because his chemistry with Brady is ridiculous and barely anyone in the league can stop him. Letting him go wouldn't be the smartest play.

It just seems NE desperately needs a deep threat. Not sure if they thought Lloyd was that guy, but he certainly wasn't this year. I don't think he was that big of an upgrade for them this season. You need a deep threat in this league. It just makes things easier for a defense without one. Obviously, it wasn't an issue for NE this year, but it was glaring today.

The game did change a bit when Talib went out. That was a tough loss for the secondary.

The Colts-Pats comparison isn't a bad one. I haven't seen any truly terrible games from Brady, but he was a bit off today. Not awful, but not elite level. Missed a few bad throws. But like I posted a few days ago, NE is never as good as their record states because of how bad their division has been over the years, and how bad a lot of the AFC is.

Welker isn't getting any younger either. Look, I like the guy a lot, but sometimes something drastic has to be done. If he wasn't a FA, I probably wouldn't advocate trading him, but since he's a FA and will be looking for a huge payday, this might be a good time to start changing the dynamic of the team. Like I've pointed out, this offense has gone bye-bye too many times in recent playoff years, going back to playoff loss #1 against the Ravens.

Lloyd was a bust...his main problem that I saw this season is that he doesn't get much separation from his corner, which is why Brady didn't go to him as much as expected.

Losing Talib hurt, no question...when asked to cover receivers, McCourty and Arrington are near-useless.
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#24 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,684 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

First off, congrats to Manta, your team deserved it.

And yeah dr33, I wish I could say this came as a surprise, but it didn't, because I've seen this before, and you pretty much nailed everything I would've said...the Genius' D is picked apart easily (though not until the second half), the offense is held in check...like I've said, this team has become Peyton Manning's Colts. Big regular seasons followed by postseason sputters.

More like Peyton Manning's teams period :P

Edited by NJDevs4978, 20 January 2013 - 11:53 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#25 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,435 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

Thanks everyone.

CR1976 I was stressed out the whole game up until the Pollard hit and Boldins second TD. Only then did I relax. We had a wide enough margin and the Patroits receivers looked a little to beat up and hearing footsteps. Their body language in the 4th said it all.

I am just thankful that Cameron wasn't doing the play calling, otherwise we'd have lost to the Colts.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#26 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

It's funny, Joe Flacco is either going to be Eli Manning the rest of his career (a guy who can play well in big games, but be bafflingly inconsistent) or become one of the truly elite, a guy who is terrific almost every single week. The latter seemed like a pipe dream for Flacco not so long ago, but clearly it's no longer far-fatched.

As for BB and Brady, both parties deserve to take hits for this loss, though it's not Brady's fault that Welker had a huge drop, and that Ridley was Lindrossed into losing a costly fumble. But for both guys, it's more of the same: The Genius' D gets carved up in key spots, and the Pats' "unstoppable" offense gets, well, stopped. Last night was the 4th time in their last 8 playoff games that the NE offense was held to 17 points or less...in a fifth game, against the Jets, only a very late 4th-quarter touchdown where NE was losing 28-14 prevented that from happening a fifth time. And in their last 10, for a team that averages well over 30 PPG in the regular season, they have managed to score 30+ just three times in those 10 games. They are 3-0 in those games, and 2-5 in the other 7, which shows how The Genius' D rarely props up the offense when it's not putting up big numbers.

Letting Welker go might sound crazy, but all things being equal: the guy is 32 years old at the start of next season, he's going to be looking for a big mega-year deal, and he's taken some big hits through the years. He hasn't shown any real signs of decline yet, but a signing an older receiver to huge dollars seems risky. The Pats may always be in the mix for Super Bowl contention, but status quo (starting with 2007) has been "Have a great regular season, bully-up during some of the regular season victories, then come up small during the playoffs." The Pats are now 3-5 in their last 8 playoff games, and three of those losses came at home. Brady's TD-to-INT ratio is a very pedestrian 17-to-10 in those 8 games...take out the win against the Broncos, and it's a very mediocre 11-to-9 in the other seven. Clearly status quo is running its course...it's time to shake things up.

The defense showed some signs of improvement, but it's still not nearly good enough. That should be the offseason focus again.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 21 January 2013 - 07:39 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#27 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,435 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

In fairness CR: Prior to the Talib injury, I didn't think our offense would be able to move. Your cover guys did a fantastic job of not letting our guys off the line of scrimmage and just shadowed them. Once Chung went down that is when we just turned it on. The one thing that did surprise me is that even though your coverage was stellar, I didn't really see Flacco getting pressured much.

Now that Caldwell is in charge of the Offense, Flacco has more command at the line of scrimmage to read the defense and adjust. He was not allowed to change the play under Cameron. Ray has already annointed Flacco to be "the new leader" on the Ravens and he has come through. I will continue to wear my
"5" jersey with pride.

P.S. Loved Suggs accosting the media in the post game.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#28 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

Really happy to see Brady and the Pats sent home but I'm getting sick of seeing Ray Lewis and his whining and crying about jesus and god every single week.

Let's go niners.

This!

#29 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,435 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

Really happy to see Brady and the Pats sent home but I'm getting sick of seeing Ray Lewis and his whining and crying about jesus and god every single week.

I admit it. I cringe A LOT when Ray goes into preacher mode. I am very happy when CBS cuts from the bullS@#t, to get back to some relevant insights about the game.

And yes, GO NINERS!!!! I want yet another 10 point spread against us to prove the doubters yet again on the big stage.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#30 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,716 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

In fairness CR: Prior to the Talib injury, I didn't think our offense would be able to move. Your cover guys did a fantastic job of not letting our guys off the line of scrimmage and just shadowed them. Once Chung went down that is when we just turned it on. The one thing that did surprise me is that even though your coverage was stellar, I didn't really see Flacco getting pressured much.

Now that Caldwell is in charge of the Offense, Flacco has more command at the line of scrimmage to read the defense and adjust. He was not allowed to change the play under Cameron. Ray has already annointed Flacco to be "the new leader" on the Ravens and he has come through. I will continue to wear my
"5" jersey with pride.

P.S. Loved Suggs accosting the media in the post game.

"Tell them to have fun at the Pro Bowl,” Suggs said after the game, via Dan Wetzel of Yahoo! Sports.  “Arrogant f–kers.” Lmfao, love it.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#31 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,992 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

I'm surprised I didn't hear anyone (Simms, Nantz, Berman, Jackson, etc.) bring up the possibility the Pollard hit on Ridley might've been worthy of a penalty for helmet-to-helmet. I'm not saying it should've been called because it might've been caused partially by Ridley himself. But still, that was a big moment in the game. And it was obviously why he got crumpled.

#32 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,435 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

"None of y'all picked us last week," Suggs grumbled to reporters. "And nobody picked up this week."

"There is no room left on the bandwagon," Terrell Suggs, the boisterous linebacker, declared in the middle of the festive visitor's locker room after the 28-13 statement.

I'm surprised I didn't hear anyone (Simms, Nantz, Berman, Jackson, etc.) bring up the possibility the Pollard hit on Ridley might've been worthy of a penalty for helmet-to-helmet. I'm not saying it should've been called because it might've been caused partially by Ridley himself. But still, that was a big moment in the game. And it was obviously why he got crumpled.

Could have said that on the Pitta hit as well. That call is far too subjective. Most of the ones I have seen have been more shoulder than helmet to helmet.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#33 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,977 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

"None of y'all picked us last week," Suggs grumbled to reporters. "And nobody picked up this week."

"There is no room left on the bandwagon," Terrell Suggs, the boisterous linebacker, declared in the middle of the festive visitor's locker room after the 28-13 statement.

Could have said that on the Pitta hit as well. That call is far too subjective. Most of the ones I have seen have been more shoulder than helmet to helmet.

Manta,

All I can say is.....THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#34 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,435 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

Manta,

All I can say is.....THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!

LOTCB, I will leave you with this:

The first thing Terrell Suggs did after leaving the Gillette Stadium field and entering the hallways after the Ravens’ 28-13 beating of the Patriots was shout, all the way to the locker room, “Tell them to have fun in the Pro Bowl! Arrogant f***ers.” Suggs was overheard taking verbal shots at the Patriots, and was captured by Yahoo! Sports’ Dan Wetzel on his Twitter feed, calling them “the most arrogant pricks in the world, starting with [Bill] Belichick on down.”

Wetzel also tweeted that Suggs said, “That’s funny, ever since Spygate they haven’t been able to win.”
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#35 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

It's not helmet to helmet penalty when a player is a runner, which Ridley was. Just a defenseless receiver.

I am so tired of any coverage of Ray Lewis. He shouldn't even be part of the narrative. You could stick any starting MLB in the league n this Ravens team, and in most cases they would be better off, but probably not in many cases are they really worse off. He just isn't very good anymore. Simple as that. And his shtick is getting pretty old now.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#36 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,435 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

I am so tired of any coverage of Ray Lewis. He shouldn't even be part of the narrative. You could stick any starting MLB in the league n this Ravens team, and in most cases they would be better off, but probably not in many cases are they really worse off. He just isn't very good anymore. Simple as that. And his shtick is getting pretty old now.

SO WRONG.

Lewis will always lead the game in tackles, and he sets up our defenses. He makes teams notice when he is on the field.
It is night and day, when he isn't in the line-up.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#37 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,992 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

It's not helmet to helmet penalty when a player is a runner, which Ridley was. Just a defenseless receiver.

Interesting, I did not know that!

This article I just found backs you up:

http://profootballta...ey-pats-fumble/

"Not mentioned by Leavy was the helmet-to-helmet nature of the hit that knocked the ball loose. That’s because helmet-to-helmet hits against runners aren’t prohibited. Though some believe the rules in this regard are inconsistent or vague, the NFL’s goal is to ensure that players not able to try to avoid a helmet-to-helmet hit shouldn’t be subjected to a helmet-to-helmet hit. That’s why the rule applies only to players in a defenseless posture, like quarterbacks throwing a pass and receivers just after catching one.

"Some may disagree with the reasoning, but that’s the rule — and that’s why Ridley was fair game for a helmet-to-helmet hit. And for the fumble that resulted when the hit knocked him sufficiently loopy to lose control of the ball."

#38 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,977 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

LOTCB, I will leave you with this:

The first thing Terrell Suggs did after leaving the Gillette Stadium field and entering the hallways after the Ravens’ 28-13 beating of the Patriots was shout, all the way to the locker room, “Tell them to have fun in the Pro Bowl! Arrogant f***ers.” Suggs was overheard taking verbal shots at the Patriots, and was captured by Yahoo! Sports’ Dan Wetzel on his Twitter feed, calling them “the most arrogant pricks in the world, starting with [Bill] Belichick on down.”

Wetzel also tweeted that Suggs said, “That’s funny, ever since Spygate they haven’t been able to win.”

LOL I love it...let's hope this is commences the downslide of the Pats*...they have been great but I've had enough of them!

Also loved when Suggs voted for Ryan Fitzpatrick over Brady for the Pro Bowl a few years back...hilarious

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#39 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,435 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

I would never count out Tom Brady or Belichek.

They have been the most dominant team in the NFL for the past decade and have made some good moves to build towards the future.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#40 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

I would never count out Tom Brady or Belichek.

They have been the most dominant team in the NFL for the past decade and have made some good moves to build towards the future.

Brady isn't showing signs of physical decline yet, but he needs to improve his playoff performances as of late. He is still living off the three rings, which buys him A LOT of currency (understandably so), but like I've pointed out, the last several games have been uneven and not great overall.

BB needs to bring in a defensive coordinator and let him run the show. Patricia is a puppethead. BBs Ds haven't gotten it done in a long time. I don't have confidence in him putting together a top-tier defense anymore, and the Pats need one, because after this postseason, I can't count on the offense to carry the Patriots to wins like I can in the regular season. They need a new perspective to make this happen.

But they do have the personnel to keep status quo for a while (make the playoffs, possibly win a game or two before bowing out). A lot of other teams' fans would take what the Patriots have done over the past several seasons (a 16-0 season, two Super Bowl appearances, three AFC title games, and constant relevance), but like the Yankees of the 2000s, or the Braves of the 90s and beyond, when the prosperity doesn't result in titles, or not nearly enough of them, there's no shortage of fans from other teams waiting to let you hear about it.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 21 January 2013 - 03:34 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users