The Pete Deboer Thread

Derlique

Why do people think that the vote of confidence ultimately means someone is going to be fired?  It means that Lou was asked about the coach.  Sometimes a coach gets fired if the team continues, sometimes he doesn't.  Tom Coughlin's probably had 4 votes of confidence.

Tom Coughlin must have incredible powers of persuasion, though, because it looks like unless this gets insanely bad, he's going to get to make his own decision on employment *this year*.

I don't know. At some point if Lou really wanted Mark Fayne in the line up like we all do, he could make that happen. This is a huge frustration for me. If he wanted JJ in the lineup, he could waive Gionta. My biggest problem is why these things aren't happening. We need to give Merril or Gelinas a chance too. They played well enough to earn a shot, a SHOT, who knows what will happen. However, these guys are offensive and we badly need those kinds of D. Are we coaching to win or coaching not too lose.

• Like 1

Lou doesn't butt into lineup decisions - he's aware of what's going on but he doesn't dictate much other than perhaps Marty's playing time back in the day...for a minor example, Zharkov was down in Albany the whole MacLean year and then the minute Jacques came back Zharkov was up again.

Edited by NJDevs4978

People seem to be forgetting that we have like a hundred new players on the team. We really need to give these guys a few weeks to settle in to their lines and teammates. Despite this, we've been competetive in every game (more or less).. We have goaltending now. We know our defense is capable of playing well.

While our start is certainly not impressive in any way, it's definently to soon to start firing people.

Being 'competitive' in every game (last night they weren't, the score was only close because of Schnieder) isn't exactly saying much when you're playing Calgary and Edmonton with scrub goalies.  They won't have too many more winnable games in the next few weeks with the way they're playing and who they're playing - look at the schedule from now to Thanksgiving, it isn't pretty.

Edited by NJDevs4978

People seem to be forgetting that we have like a hundred new players on the team. We really need to give these guys a few weeks to settle in to their lines and teammates. Despite this, we've been competetive in every game (more or less).. We have goaltending now. We know our defense is capable of playing well.

While our start is certainly not impressive in any way, it's definently to soon to start firing people.

I don't think we're forgetting. The issues haven't really been the new guys. Jagr, Clowe, Ryder, Brunner, etc, they've all been doing pretty much what they were brought here to do. It's the same old guys like Gio, Sal, and Volch that are perplexing.

Regardless, we just had a mini-rebuild like 10 minutes ago. DeBoer *just* took us to the SCF with a team very few people expected would be there. All this talk of firing him after a handful of bad-ish games seems ridiculous to me.. The Devils are not stacked with superstar players (if you missed that), we need to play as a team in a solid system everyone knows and buys into. This will necessarily take some time to accomplish with so many new faces..

I don't think we're forgetting. The issues haven't really been the new guys. Jagr, Clowe, Ryder, Brunner, etc, they've all been doing pretty much what they were brought here to do. It's the same old guys like Gio, Sal, and Volch that are perplexing.

That's true. The defensive side is definently the strangest aspect of this, but unless you think they all got *that* much worse in 18 months, odds are this will "normalize" into a decent defensive squad soon, and those 3-4 goals our new and improved offense will provide should be enough for a few wins.

I assume Gio will be gone soon. :P

the issue is just as much how the team finished as how it's begun this year - that's why people are so upset

oh and as far as coughlin is concerned, his history has earned him not to get canned in the middle of the season but know this - this is his last year. unless the giants go 10-0 to finish the season, AND make the playoffs, AND win in them, coughlin will be "retired" by the giants.

I don't know. At some point if Lou really wanted Mark Fayne in the line up like we all do, he could make that happen. This is a huge frustration for me. If he wanted JJ in the lineup, he could waive Gionta. My biggest problem is why these things aren't happening. We need to give Merril or Gelinas a chance too. They played well enough to earn a shot, a SHOT, who knows what will happen. However, these guys are offensive and we badly need those kinds of D. Are we coaching to win or coaching not too lose.

You look at the way someone like Sergei Brylin was developed - he took forever to be an NHL regular.  It's a different league and certainly a different Devils team now, but they still have 3 more years of Josefson's rights.

Merrill did not earn a chance in preseason - he has all sorts of issues with his game that I hope are fixable.  The macro elements are very promising, but the micro elements need tons of work.

Being 'competitive' in every game (last night they weren't, the score was only close because of Schnieder) isn't exactly saying much when you're playing Calgary and Edmonton with scrub goalies.  They won't have too many more winnable games in the next few weeks with the way they're playing and who they're playing - look at the schedule from now to Thanksgiving, it isn't pretty.

The Devils played with a scrub goalie too in those games.  They might've won those games with Schneider in net.  They scored 4 goals against Edmonton and played an excellent first two periods and couldn't get their goalie to bail them out in the 3rd.  

Lmao this could be one of the classic Lou quotes of all time. From his interview with Chere: "I do not feel we’re a slow team. We’re certainly not an overly fast team."

Yeah really that's as close as you'll get to hearing Lou admit they're old and slow.  We've lost to the Jets a thousand times in the last couple seasons, because their speed destroys us - and they aren't even that good a team overall.

And btw Urbom's apparently playing pretty well for the Caps, getting 18-19 minutes a game.  Score another one for our wonderful talent evaluators, losing him for nothing and playing an AHL third pairing.

Urbom is playing so much for the Caps because they lost Erskine and Hillen to injury.  He is playing well but we'll see where he's at in 30 games.  

LOu dont decide of the lineup... Lou acquire player with needs etc, but only deboer decide who he plays who he keeps etc...

The decision to play harrold and gionta belongs to deboer himself...

So bottom line is Lou gives the tool... you do what you want with it (same with the goalie)

Another coach could plays gélinas josefson merril waive gionta harrold etc and lou wouldnt mind....

Just look at tallinder... He was trade because we had to much D yes... but he was on pete black list

If you dont believe me, read pat burns biography it explain how lou works... he hire people and trust them till it doesnt work anymore. Burns make some decision that wasnt popular (Daneyko scratch) but lou tell him :if you think it the best for our team, do it...

It just stinks that our Defence is such that we can't bring kids up.  Our vets are so tenuous that we can't risk rookie mistakes.  Gone are the days of bringing up Hale and Martin.  White for sure would be lost on waivers in this climate.  You can say kids didn't earn a spot but I feel like that's not addressing the real problem. 

All of the arguments I read here are true in the current conditions -- but what I'm angry about is that our current conditions are unacceptable.  Defend players all you want.  Things are out of hand bad and I think, when it gets to that point, you have to up your risk factor rather than clamp down and become even more detrimentally conservative.

My personal feeling.  When things are this bad have fun with icing a developing team. You're ruining no one and you're risking nothing in terms of winning.  This is a sh!tty product. It's no longer Devils hockey.  It's no longer hockey.  There is potential hockey in the organization and they wont play it. Something is askew and I don't enjoy it.  Lou can retire now and I'm fine.  Hockey is gone as far as I can see so

I enjoyed seeing some of MacLean's decisions.  you coudl see he was trying.  Right now I see sticking to a losing path and it's not fun productive entertaining educational -- it's just blah.  It's not hockey at this point and it's not maximizing the teams potential. 

I'm hearing nothing.  I'm seeing nothing. Based on history I think I'm safe in assuming nothing is happening -- and nothing is going to happen.

Edited by Pepperkorn

LOu dont decide of the lineup... Lou acquire player with needs etc, but only deboer decide who he plays who he keeps etc...

The decision to play harrold and gionta belongs to deboer himself...

So bottom line is Lou gives the tool... you do what you want with it (same with the goalie)

Another coach could plays gélinas josefson merril waive gionta harrold etc and lou wouldnt mind....

Just look at tallinder... He was trade because we had to much D yes... but he was on pete black list

If you dont believe me, read pat burns biography it explain how lou works... he hire people and trust them till it doesnt work anymore. Burns make some decision that wasnt popular (Daneyko scratch) but lou tell him :if you think it the best for our team, do it...

I'm surprised he gives coaches that level of trust. I pictured him to be more of a control freak, even pulling some strings from the GM's desk.