"Goon" - Has anyone seen it?

95Crash

I watched "Goon" starring Seann William Scott on Showtime the other night. I thought it was pretty entertaining, not great but not awful. Did anyone else see it? Thoughts?

http://www.magnetrel...oon/index.shtml

It was OK...like you said, entertaining enough for what it was, but not very realistic from a hockey standpoint. The uniforms worn by Scott's character were clearly supposed to be tributes to the Flyers' and Phantoms' uniforms.

I'd like to see something a little more realistic one day, about the life of a goon.

I'm a huge Seann William Scott fan so I watched it awhile back. I agree that the movie was just "ok". I wouldn't highly recommend it but at the same time it is a decent time killer late at night.

It feels like, in some ways, the film is trying to be the next Slapshot...this movie feels like it wants to be classic in the same kind of way, but it doesn't come anywhere near Slaphot.

I had heard a few hockey fans knock it badly beforehand, so I went into it expecting the worst. I think with the bar set low, I was able to enjoy it more than others.

In line with what you guys said, I thought it was sort of a low-rent, 21st-century indie version of Slapshot, which to me is better than if it had been a slickly produced, high-budget, Disney-type hockey flick.

There were some funny scenes, I thought.

I really enjoyed it, I saw it on day of release in the UK (which for some reason was about 3 months before the US).

I have watched it a few times since and I still really enjoyed it. So have quite a few friends and family, who have little to no interest in hockey.

It’s not classic cinema, it’s never going to win any awards, but it’s a fun piece of cinema.

Jay Baruchel's character was annoying as hell. If he was even slightly funny it would have made a much better movie.

At least he left early in the film cause I know they were trying to make the character annoying but they were too good at it.

I liked it. Not my favorite film but it was a good hockey film and that's something we don't have enough of. Because on netflix instant there's a movie called Puck Hogs. Tried to be a documentary style comedy about an amateur team and I couldn't make it through 10 min of it. That's an awful movie

At least he left early in the film cause I know they were trying to make the character annoying but they were too good at it.

I liked it. Not my favorite film but it was a good hockey film and that's something we don't have enough of. Because on netflix instant there's a movie called Puck Hogs. Tried to be a documentary style comedy about an amateur team and I couldn't make it through 10 min of it. That's an awful movie

Yeah his character was realistic I'll give him that. But if the comic relief isn't funny it hurts a film dramatically.

I liked Goon, I didn't mean to give the impression I hadn't. It's definitely worth seeing if you're a big enough hockey fan to post on a message board. It's well made with good hockey action. A few good laughs. The Slap Shot comparison is appropriate since it's trying to be similarly raw and irreverent, but it doesn't completely deliver.

I did see the Puck Hogs actually. That was a truly terrible movie, with some awful hockey action. There's at least some nudity in it though and one or two good jokes so it wasn't a complete waste.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

I wasnt really a fan of goon. This is most likely because i hate when people say stuff like "oh yeah i started liking hockey when i found out it was boxing on skates, or the people that go to the games and just yell for a fight the entire time. I think movies like this put hockey in a bad light to people who dont watch it a lot or are starting to watch the game. The league has moved in a direction where goons really are not needed, and goon makes it seem like hockey is just boxing on skates. Yeah its a comedy but i know some people will see it and not necessarily take it literal, but believe that it has some fact to it. There were some funny parts to it, but i probably wouldnt watch it again.

EDIT: also when this movie released sean william scott was on some late night show promoting the movie and when asked what a goon was he said something like "im not really sure, i think its someone who cant play hockey well." I remember thinking "you play the goon and you dont even know what it is!?" I wish someone who was a little more passionate about the game took the role of the goon.

Edited by njd3b1ink

I thought it was fine for what it was. It certainly won't win any awards, but it definitely wasn't the worst hockey movie I've ever seen.

I'm more excited for Kevin Smith's movie based on the song Hit Somebody by Warren Zevon. It's a similar idea, and I'm hoping Smith does it right. He's claimed he wanted to have a serious take on the song in past interviews. We'll see what happens when a movie studio gets its hands on it.

I wasnt really a fan of goon. This is most likely because i hate when people say stuff like "oh yeah i started liking hockey when i found out it was boxing on skates, or the people that go to the games and just yell for a fight the entire time. I think movies like this put hockey in a bad light to people who dont watch it a lot or are starting to watch the game. The league has moved in a direction where goons really are not needed, and goon makes it seem like hockey is just boxing on skates. Yeah its a comedy but i know some people will see it and not necessarily take it literal, but believe that it has some fact to it. There were some funny parts to it, but i probably wouldnt watch it again.

EDIT: also when this movie released sean william scott was on some late night show promoting the movie and when asked what a goon was he said something like "im not really sure, i think its someone who cant play hockey well." I remember thinking "you play the goon and you dont even know what it is!?" I wish someone who was a little more passionate about the game took the role of the goon.

I laughed quite a bit when I watched this, especially over the first half hour, but as we are finding out, the life of a real "goon" is pretty brutal, and several of them leave the game scarred both physically and mentally. More than a few of them hate what they do and dread every fight, but it's the only way some of them can stay in professional hockey, as they simply weren't blessed with much hockey talent otherwise, and they know they may never make as much money elsewhere. There's just as much, if not more, tragedy to these stories as comedy, but the tragic side is rarely ever explored in film.

Goon made me laugh my ass off.

I'm more excited for Kevin Smith's movie based on the song Hit Somebody by Warren Zevon. It's a similar idea, and I'm hoping Smith does it right. He's claimed he wanted to have a serious take on the song in past interviews. We'll see what happens when a movie studio gets its hands on it.

I heard an interview where Smith said something along the lines of (and this is a REAL rough paraphrase here), "I was scared that, since Goon came out first, it would steal our thunder. But Goon tried to be Slap Shot. And that's great, I don't mean to knock Goon or Slap Shot. But Hit Somebody won't be anything like that." That -- and the fact that Red State showed that Smith knows how to go outside his traditional comfort zone and produce a quality movie without a major studio ruining it -- makes me think Hit Somebody will be that serious hockey fighter flick people are looking for.