‏Zach Parise has agreed to terms with the Minnesota Wild

Daniel

i would put odds at him re-signing at 70%.

over/under on contract 10.1 years/ $70.1MM. I am taking the under on both.

should he leave, the devils will need to bring in a top 6 forward that is not currently on this team. i am not comfortable with henrique-zajac-kovalchuk and zubrus-elias-clarkson as our two top lines, espeically when you consider that the devils have three forwards under team control after next year.

should he leave, the devils will need to bring in a top 6 forward that is not currently on this team. i am not comfortable with henrique-zajac-kovalchuk and zubrus-elias-clarkson as our two top lines, espeically when you consider that the devils have three forwards under team control after next year.

Sign me up for 8 years $56 mill

oh by the way, since this is what this thread is for, a rumor that i heard which i will lend credence to (i wouldn't post stuff i don't believe) is that parise was offered 7/49 at the trade deadline this year. he was prepared to accept it but his agents essentially would not let him. their argument was that the devils would absolutely up that offer and he'd get at least 6 offers greater on 7/1. they basically said that if he wants to sign with the devils, he will have every opportunity to at a better offer so why not wait.

oh by the way, since this is what this thread is for, a rumor that i heard which i will lend credence to (i wouldn't post stuff i don't believe) is that parise was offered 7/49 at the trade deadline this year. he was prepared to accept it but his agents essentially would not let him. their argument was that the devils would absolutely up that offer and he'd get at least 6 offers greater on 7/1. they basically said that if he wants to sign with the devils, he will have every opportunity to at a better offer so why not wait.

I can definitely believe that. The agents and NHLPA have and/or will push him hard to go to FA on 7/1/12 and take the greatest offer in order to push the bar even higher for future FA's. Brodeur oftens talks about he got a lot of pressure to do the same from the NHLPA when making his deals, but he didn't have an agent and didn't care what the heads of the NHLPA thought. He wanted to play for a winner and knew he'd have to take less than market value for his services to make that happen.

I see Zach getting around $7.5 million per over 7-8 season on the open market. I think Lou would go there for Zach, but the real question is can ownership? In the end, nobody really knows whats going to happen and we're not likely to find out until July 1.

I can definitely believe that. The agents and NHLPA have and/or will push him hard to go to FA on 7/1/12 and take the greatest offer in order to push the bar even higher for future FA's. Brodeur oftens talks about he got a lot of pressure to do the same from the NHLPA when making his deals, but he didn't have an agent and didn't care what the heads of the NHLPA thought. He wanted to play for a winner and knew he'd have to take less than market value for his services to make that happen.

I see Zach getting around $7.5 million per over 7-8 season on the open market. I think Lou would go there for Zach, but the real question is can ownership? In the end, nobody really knows whats going to happen and we're not likely to find out until July 1.

Well, I think if he was offered 7/49 at the deadline (with the ownership issues still prevelant in the backround), I think the money is there, and would be there to go maybe 8/56 if that's what it takes. The cash infusion from this run should definitely help a little.

"Zach, do you consider Minnesota or New Jersey your home?"

"Probably Minnesota, I grew up there and played a lot of hockey there. I'm only at the beginning of my career in New Jersey, I think I'll have a much different answer 10 years from now".

He said "I'm only at the beginning of my career in New Jersey". That doesn't sound like someone who's leaving.

I think that's us putting more thought into his statement than he did. I don't believe he is trying to send cryptic messages to fans. I think he honestly meant something along the lines "I'm still young and haven't been here forever... ask me in 10 years and my story might change".

Ask me what my home town is... I'll publicly question if its Bensalem, PA (where I own a house), or Toms River, NJ (where I grew up).

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.500m) / Travis Zajac ($3.888m) / Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.667m)

Patrik Elias ($6.000m) / Adam Henrique ($0.854m) / Dainius Zubrus ($3.400m)

Alexei Ponikarovsky ($2.000m) / Jacob Josefson ($0.900m) / David Clarkson ($2.667m)

Ryan Carter ($1.000m) / Stephen Gionta ($1.000m) / Steve Bernier ($1.000m)

Eric Boulton ($0.663m)

DEFENSEMEN

Anton Volchenkov ($4.250m) / Marek Zidlicky ($4.000m)

Henrik Tallinder ($3.375m) / Andy Greene ($3.000m)

Adam Larsson ($0.925m) / Mark Fayne ($3.000m)

Peter Harrold ($0.750m) /

GOALTENDERS

Martin Brodeur ($4.000m)

Johan Hedberg ($1.250m)

BUYOUTS

Colin White ($1.000m) / Trent Hunter ($0.667m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,754,166; BONUSES: $262,500

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $6,545,834

I think this is a good starting point.

If true, good job by his agents looking out for him. This gives me hope. If he really wants to stay in NJ, I think 10 year / 70 mill is too little for Zach personally, but it depends on if Lou budges when Zach's agents tell him the Islanders are offering 10 year, 85 million or whatever.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

I feel like (and have felt since the third round) that making it to the Final but losing may be the situation with the best odds of keeping Parise in Jersey - we've shown him we can win, with a coach he likes and respects (and hopefully finally some coaching stability), but there's now unfinished business for Parise here.

Does it ultimately mean anything? Probably not - but I could see the reasons for leaving if we flamed out in the first round, or if we won the Cup. I can still see the reasons for leaving now, but I really want to believe he'd be more inclined to finish what he started here than jump on board somewhere else.

Zachs cap hit should not be higher then 7M.. Just not worth it long term. A lot of people here have rightly pointed out that Zach is a high energy type of player and will likely not age as well as someone who relies more on talent then work ethics. In fact, I even think 7M is a bit on the high side of his value. Is he really worth more money then Kopitar/Datsyuk/Sedins/Spezza/Iginla/Thornton??

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.