Jacob Josefson signed to a one-year deal

RizzMB30

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news he got two year... Mean he should see some ice....

One thing i ask myself... Why we get ruutu at the deadline? we are stuck on offense. I actually like Ruutu but his acquisition is questionnable. (Except we intend to trade others 3 liner)

What makes you think it's likely that Carter will sign with us? Unless he's just waiting for LL to move some forwards, there's really no need to sign him despite Carter being the one member of cbgb that I really wanted to see get signed.

i find it kind of strange that he hasnt signed anywhere else yet.. i mean unless he isnt getting interest from anyone which im pretty sure he is

NJ does not have a lot of plausible centers in the organization since they jettisoned Loktionov.  There's nothing behind Josefson in the minors that I particularly want to see - Scott Timmins started out last year in the AHL doing quite well then turned back into Scott Timmins.  Of Josefson's 27 games, 7 came after the trade deadline, and I believe he got hurt at the end of the season.  So yeah, I think this is his chance - he probably won't be in on opening night, but he will probably get into 50 games.

I like to think JJ has potential but the bottom line is that these are his stats:
118 games, 7 goals, 18 assists, 25 points

At this point, it's hard to argue he still needs experience or an opportunity to succeed (DeBoer has rotated him on the 1st/2nd lines and was atrocious).

That said, his defensive game is great.

One thing i ask myself... Why we get ruutu at the deadline? we are stuck on offense. I actually like Ruutu but his acquisition is questionnable. (Except we intend to trade others 3 liner)

The Ruutu trade made no sense. If his contract expired at the end of the 13-14 season, I'd have no problem with it. Well, there's 2 more years on his contract and we have yet another 3rd/4th line caliber player in our lineup that is filled with too many 3rd/4th line caliber players. Oh, and his contract is a $3.8mill cap hit (which is HORRIBLE even with the Canes picking up 20% of his $4.75mill/season contract) with a No Movement Clause. :argh:

What makes you think it's likely that Carter will sign with us? Unless he's just waiting for LL to move some forwards, there's really no need to sign him despite Carter being the one member of cbgb that I really wanted to see get signed.

I think Lou has to make a trade regardless of whether Carter is re-signed or not. But even with a trade, I don't see where Carter fits in, unless JJ is traded or used as an extra forward (which I doubt because he just signed a 2 year, not 1 year, contract). Sucks considering I think he was the best player on CBGB.

To follow up on center Jacob Josefson re-signing on Tuesday, it is a two-year, one-way contract that pays $800,000 per season. That’s a slight raise for Josefson, who made $725,000 in 2013-14 on a one-year deal. - See more at: http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/quenneville-soaking-in-experience-at-devils-camp-gedig-hoping-to-sign-josefson-gets-2-year-deal-1.1053073#sthash.jq4dLIYP.dpuf

Per TG

Shouldn't we be changing the thread title at this point?

I like to think JJ has potential but the bottom line is that these are his stats:

118 games, 7 goals, 18 assists, 25 points

Please keep in mind how many of those games were played on the same line as Cam, Boulton or Gionta

Please keep in mind how many of those games were played on the same line as Cam, Boulton or Gionta

You missed my next sentence:

At this point, it's hard to argue he still needs experience or an opportunity to succeed (DeBoer has rotated him on the 1st/2nd lines and was atrocious).

You missed my next sentence:

except that isn't true. he played half of two games on Jagr's line last year, and that was it. far from atrocious, too.

He was fine. Certainly not bad or anything, he came in for the Stadium Series game and played the game afterwards IIRC.

If I remember right, the next game they got shutout but St Louis, but I thought that his line specifically had some good shifts and chances. I thought they should have kept going from what I remember.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

except that isn't true. he played half of two games on Jagr's line last year, and that was it. far from atrocious, too.

Maybe "atrocious" was a bit strong. I hope I'm wrong, but I haven't seen anything from JJ to indicate that he's anything more than a checking center. He's great on the PK but I just don't see him as being anything more.

Edited by hoekster316

As I recall, Josefson did one of his classic 'don't shoot from a scoring chance area' and DeBoer yanked him off the line.  That's something he is going to have to fix.

Yeah, this doesn't fly in DeBoer's system.  I didn't think that he looked bad with Jagr and Zajac, and Jagr even praised Josefson's play when they played together in practice.  I know Jagr is no coach, but he's not completely devoid of hockey IQ and judging other players play.  He praised Zajac too and wouldn't be too happy if he was yanked from Zajac's wing.

Maybe "atrocious" was a bit strong. I hope I'm wrong, but I haven't seen anything from JJ to indicate that he's anything more than a checking center. He's great on the PP but I just don't see him as being anything more.

Maybe a little strong, you rarely see him making mistakes on the defensive side of the puck.  If you've noticed that he is good on the PP, it's only because he's one of the better passers on the roster.  He's very accurate, and was featured in a In Lou We Trust article for it. 

Yup, and it was around the 1/2 way mark of the season if I recall, and Jagr was singing his praises a day earlier, showed some signs of frustration with DeBoer after he took JJ off his line so quickly.

Maybe a little strong, you rarely see him making mistakes on the defensive side of the puck.  If you've noticed that he is good on the PP, it's only because he's one of the better passers on the roster.  He's very accurate, and was featured in a In Lou We Trust article for it. 

I see no issues with his defensive game. If it wasn't for his defensive game, he'd probably be out of an NHL job by now. My argument is that he has shown nothing more than being a checking center.

Also, I meant "PK" not "PP" (and edited the error in my post).

I see no issues with his defensive game. If it wasn't for his defensive game, he'd probably be out of an NHL job by now. My argument is that he has shown nothing more than being a checking center.

Also, I meant "PK" not "PP" (and edited the error in my post).

Ah, yes.  No worries.  I don't remember seeing him playing on the PP at all.  Why I said, "If you've noticed that"

JJ was benched after having one of his best games last year. While you guys keep blaming the rookies, I continue to blame this coach. He sucks and shouldve been let go.

I can't agree with you 100% but i can't disagree that Josefson is mishandle by Deboer. (if im JJ i would be pissed) But the gentleman drinks lou.s Kool aid because he's staying with us. I respect Josefson and wish him good fortune this year.

JJ was benched after having one of his best games last year. While you guys keep blaming the rookies, I continue to blame this coach. He sucks and shouldve been let go.

Bullsh!t.  The coach is the easiest target to blame for fans because the coach doesn't have stats that a regular fan can look at and say, "Oh this coach doesn't produce points or this coach doesn't help the team."  On top of that, the coach is the easiest to get rid of.  If you want to boil in down to stats, DeBoer has a 102-75-34 record in New Jersey, could be better, but losing 3 top scorers and still coming out above average is another testament to Pete.  You can play the blame game all you want, this team is never as bad as people make it out to be.  No one here is blaming the rooks.  Did you read the rest of the thread?

Most fans don't understand that stability is healthier for a team than a revolving door.  Things start to go sour, "Oh this team sucks, it must be the coach.  Once he's gone, that will make us a better team."

Bullsh!t.  The coach is the easiest target to blame for fans because the coach doesn't have stats that a regular fan can look at and say, "Oh this coach doesn't produce points or this coach doesn't help the team."  On top of that, the coach is the easiest to get rid of.  If you want to boil in down to stats, DeBoer has a 102-75-34 record in New Jersey, could be better, but losing 3 top scorers and still coming out above average is another testament to Pete.  You can play the blame game all you want, this team is never as bad as people make it out to be.  No one here is blaming the rooks.  Did you read the rest of the thread?

Most fans don't understand that stability is healthier for a team than a revolving door.  Things start to go sour, "Oh this team sucks, it must be the coach.  Once he's gone, that will make us a better team."

Are you saying the coach doesn't sit down and look at stats too?

But I think overall DeBoer is a good coach.

Are you saying the coach doesn't sit down and look at stats too?

But I think overall DeBoer is a good coach.

I'm saying that coaches don't have stats the same way that players do for fans to evaluate them by.  You can't look at a coach and be like, "This person has scored me so many points, therefore they are valuable to the team."  The main point is that coaches are the easier to get rid of and are the first to blame when things go down the toilet.