The Official 2014 Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

Seems their doing what the Sixer's are doing right now, stacking up on picks like there's no tomorrow. Forget this season, look ahead in three or four years. They could be really good.

It works more easily in the NBA. How's that strategy worked out in Edmonton? Unless you end up with 2 of the 5 best players in the league like Pittsburgh, it's dicey 

It works more easily in the NBA. How's that strategy worked out in Edmonton? Unless you end up with 2 of the 5 best players in the league like Pittsburgh, it's dicey

It's maybe a 50/50 proposition. Worked for the Kings and the Hawks. And Edmonton could very well turn the corner at anytime.

Buffalo seems to be doing a good job of it. They have the foundation of a solid defense in place. A good goalie in Enroth. Some good forward prospects and a heavy volume of picks coming up. And they're set up pretty well for the McDavid sweepstakes. If that comes through, the Sabers will be a Cup team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's maybe a 50/50 proposition. Worked for the Kings and the Hawks. And Edmonton could very well turn the corner at anytime.

Buffalo seems to be doing a good job of it. They have the foundation of a solid defense in place. A good goalie in Enroth. Some good forward prospects and a heavy volume of picks coming up. And they're set up pretty well for the McDavid sweepstakes. If that comes through, the Sabers will be a Cup team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Islanders, Panthers, Panthers again, Thrashers - it's not really a 50/50 proposition.  The Sabres should flip some of these 2015 picks for actual players at the 2015 draft, if they can.  If they hold on to all these picks I will have to doubt their success.

Yeah, I think they should be holding on to some of their established guys, too. Down the road, I bet they'll have a decent core of young players: Enroth, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Grigs, Girgs, possibly Armia, and whoever else they draft this year. But even if most of those guys turn out, it's going to be a long while before they can make anything happen.

But, I could be wrong. If they can flip Halak and Stewart, and see if Moulson will bring them another first, maybe a two year rebuild can change things. As Daniel said, if Buffalo gets lucky enough to get the first overall pick in 2015, McDavid looks like a guy you can build a franchise around.

From what I read last night, that 3rd round pick in 2016 is actually a conditional 2014 1st round pick going Buffalo's way if they reach the Conference Finals or re-signs Miller....

Halak, Stewart, a potential 1st in 2014, 1st in 2015 if St. Louis reaches the Conference Finals or re-signs Miller

for

Ryan Miller and Steve Ott

Ok yeah, gross overpayment when you step back and look at all the pieces involved; but will be worth it if St. Louis gets a Cup, which they look like favorites, in my opinion, to do so.

Edited by DJ Eco

From what I read last night, that 3rd round pick in 2016 is actually a conditional 2014 1st round pick going Buffalo's way if they reach the Conference Finals or re-signs Miller....

Halak, Stewart, a potential 1st in 2014, 1st in 2015 if St. Louis reaches the Conference Finals or re-signs Miller

for

Ok yeah, gross overpayment when you step back and look at all the pieces involved; but will be worth it if St. Louis gets a Cup, which they look like favorites, in my opinion, to do so.

Yep. Tim Murray's gooooood.

for

i disagree that it's overpayment. Buffalo got a good return but I don't think St. Louis gave up anything that will hurt them. Halak has no value to the blues now, Stewart has played like an average 3rd line and fell out of favor with them, and everything else is pieces that would only contribute at the nhl level 3 years down the line at least.like I said its a good trade for both, even if it turns into 2 firsts.

My NHL Gamecenter app says Salvador and Brunner scratched for today's game. Hmm?

Well they did both leave the Columbus game with injuries and neither returned. I don't think I'd look into this too much.

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Minnesota Wild kicking tires on a few goalie options.... Halak among them....

@LavoieRenaud: Lots of discussions on #sabres Tyler Myers. He has a no-move clause in his contract. He'll have the final word if a deal is on the table.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel

Per Renaud Lavoie

Jaromir Jagr said he might go home if he's traded. He already got all his bonuses for game played. Total of 2.0M$. #devils

Lou shouldn't trade him now anyways.  Jagr has earned the right to be a diva imo.  He likes playing here, and he's very adamant about staying.

I think Lou will make a couple moves. Provided the Devils play well the next two games even more so.

Only sell move might be Brodeur. No chance Jagr goes.

Jagr isn't going anywhere

The fact that Brodeur is willing to go somewhere else just to be a backup as well (only a slightly more active backup) is very telling. I mean why? What's the point. To go somewhere else where you'll start 6 of the last 20 as opposed to the 3-4 that you'll play here?

The fact that Brodeur is willing to go somewhere else just to be a backup as well (only a slightly more active backup) is very telling. I mean why? What's the point. To go somewhere else where you'll start 6 of the last 20 as opposed to the 3-4 that you'll play here?

He wants 700 wins, wants or needs money, and wants to play next season based on previous two.

The fact that Brodeur is willing to go somewhere else just to be a backup as well (only a slightly more active backup) is very telling. I mean why? What's the point. To go somewhere else where you'll start 6 of the last 20 as opposed to the 3-4 that you'll play here?

The idea of Marty playing for another team will be a big deal. That's enough for Marty and his ego.

The idea of Marty playing for another team will be a big deal. That's enough for Marty and his ego.

that'll leave us without a backup though. Are we getting a goalie back in return? I don't mean somebody's AHL garbage who's worse than Brodeur

Things would be so much easier if Brodeur would just realize who he is at this point and accept his role

Edited by '7'

that'll leave us without a backup though. Are we getting a goalie back in return? I don't mean somebody's AHL garbage who's worse than Brodeur

Things would be so much easier if Brodeur would just realize who he is at this point and accept his role

Marty's ego is driving the trade train. Wins, records, playing....nonsense. He wants to be big news.