Rooting Interests Thread

PaDevsFan

We all know the playoff picture is way too far in the distance to see clearly, but we can at least root for the proper teams to give the HOME TEAM at least a chance (if they continue to play well and improve)...

In the playoff thread regarding the Devils still hoping to make the playoffs I stated before last night that we obviously needed Pitt, Montreal and Detroit to win their games, and well the hockey gods smiled on the Devils last night and all three teams won causing teams ahead of us to not move any further ahead...

Now tonight we are rooting for Calgary, and Toronto to beat Atlanta and Carolina respectively... Toronto is of course ahead of the Devils as well, but Carolina is the team we would really be chasing, as well as Atlanta...

This of course is all also dependent on the Devils holding up their end and beating the RAGS!!!

We wont win them all, but they can certainly make it interesting.

This may sound silly but I will change this thread each day with the "daily" teams we want to see win...

We all know the playoff picture is way too far in the distance to see clearly, but we can at least root for the proper teams to give the HOME TEAM at least a chance (if they continue to play well and improve)...

In the playoff thread regarding the Devils still hoping to make the playoffs I stated before last night that we obviously needed Pitt, Montreal and Detroit to win their games, and well the hockey gods smiled on the Devils last night and all three teams won causing teams ahead of us to not move any further ahead...

Now tonight we are rooting for Calgary, and Toronto to beat Atlanta and Carolina respectively... Toronto is of course ahead of the Devils as well, but Carolina is the team we would really be chasing, as well as Atlanta...

This of course is all also dependent on the Devils holding up their end and beating the RAGS!!!

We wont win them all, but they can certainly make it interesting.

This may sound silly but I will change this thread each day with the "daily" teams we want to see win...

This 13 or so game stretch will determine if there is a shot or not. we will need to win 11 or 12 of them. this game is big!

Every game is big!

Of course, but we are expected (now) to beat the leafs, canes and panthers of the league. but to claw our way back into this thing, we need to beat the Habs, rangers and pengiuns at an 80% clip. And I really, really want to beat the rangers tonight to legitimize this streak

OK guys 2 for 2. Toronto with the big win over Carolina, and Calgary beats Atlanta, the gods are still smiling on us...

Now tonight is "simple" lol

We need Pitt to beat Buffalo at home!

And we need to continue the momentum and take care of business against another team we will have to catch. Devils must beat Florida!!

Over the last 7 seasons or so it takes an average of 92 points to make the playoffs. The Devils sit 53 points away from that mark with 31 games to play.

The Devils need to go 26-4-1.

That DOES look impossible, but it looked even worse 10 games ago. 10 games ago the Devils were 10-29-2 and were 70 points away from 92 points (a playoff spot) and needing to go 35-6 to reach it.

Being 18 points behind 8th-place Atlanta with three games in hand sounds nice, but I think a better measuring stick may be 9th-place Carolina. We're 17 points back with only one game in hand. Buffalo is no push-over either, and they have two games in hand on us.

8 - Atlanta - 54 GP - 57 Points

9 - Carolina - 52 GP - 56 Points

10 - Buffalo - 49 GP - 51 Points

11 - Florida - 51 GP - 50 Points

12 - Toronto - 51 GP - 47 Points

13 - Ottawa - 52 GP - 42 Points

14 - New Jersey - 51 GP - 39 Points

The stuff Tri's been preaching all season about Atlanta seems to be coming to fruition. They just aren't as good as their first-half record indicated and their recent results show it. Unless they turn things around, they'll bury themselves. If we're talking Devils playoff hopes and they continue to surge like this, Carolina and Buffalo are the teams that have me worried.

Hopefully the boys keep giving us reason to update this thread.

:koolaid::gd::koolaid:

Being 18 points behind 8th-place Atlanta with three games in hand sounds nice, but I think a better measuring stick may be 9th-place Carolina. We're 17 points back with only one game in hand. Buffalo is no push-over either, and they have two games in hand on us.

The stuff Tri's been preaching all season about Atlanta seems to be coming to fruition. They just aren't as good as their first-half record indicated and their recent results show it. Unless they turn things around, they'll bury themselves. If we're talking Devils playoff hopes and they continue to surge like this, Carolina and Buffalo are the teams that have me worried.

Totally agree thats why we are rooting for Pitt (as much as I dont like them) to beat Buffalo at home tonight! We have I think 3 maybe 4 games left with the Canes, obviously we need to win those games! But hey like you said lets just hope the Boys keep playing and we will keep the faith!

Edited by PaDevsFan

we will keep the faith!

I have no talent at this, but as they're a Jersey band and we're Jersey's team, somebody should totally make a video to the Bon Jovi song.

I get the feeling Buffalo's making it. They play in a mediocre division, are heating up, and have Lindy Ruff and Ryan Miller. I think we need to be focusing on the Rags (have to deal with us, the Pens and the Flyers) and the Canes. If we can leapfrog them, we can sneak in with an 8 seed.

:koolaid::koolaid::koolaid::koolaid::koolaid:

God we are just setting ourselves up for getting disappointed...we're gonna pull a Canes last year.

And that is OK, how could we possibly be disapointed after a 10 - 29 start if we miss out buy a few points? If this team continues to improve and play well I will not be disapointed. I for one am happy at the turnaround because I can actually enjoy watching a game now where as before I couldnt even watch this team for an entire 60 minutes...

This thread was only intended as a means to look at the daily teams we need to watch and root against as we continue to root on the Devils!.

I will update it daily with the teams we are trying to catch...

Again tonight is a simple one we win, and root for Pitt (horrible that we have to) to beat the Sabres!!

OK after a disappointing finish to last night, we need to keep the faith. They still earned a point, and are still 8 - 1 - 2 in their last 11 games. It is not something new to figure out that the Devils will still need a lot of help to have any shot at something special happening... That being said this thread was created for that purpose. To look at who we need to root for on a daily basis. Today is tough there are a few tough ones to pick but here are my thoughts anyway...

Rags at Montreal my thoughts are we want Montreal. They are ahead of the Rags, and have played 2 fewer games. Go Habs!

Leafs at Buffalo this is alot to ask but obviously we want the Leafs to win. If the Leafs pull this one out after the Sabres lost last night, thank the Hockey Gods...

Sens at the Isles another tough one but neither of these teams scare me so we want the Isles, because the Sens have 42 and even though with an Isles win they will move a point ahead of the Devils, With a Devils win tomorrow they can jump them back and move into a tie with the Sens. So go Isles!!

Last we have Atlanta at the Canes another TOUGH one but I think most will agree the Canes are more of a problem than the Thrashers, so we need the Thrashers to pull the upset here...

Keep the Faith and we will have an update tomorrow...

P.S. we have a few important days coming up with the Devils having a few big games as well as teams like the Rags and Ottawa facing tough games so Devils need to make the most of these opportunities...

I'm one of the negative nellies who don't want them to make the playoffs. They aren't going to win the cup, so what's the rush?...Economy is still tough too and I don't want to pay for playoff ticets when they'd have no shot to advance.

I mean really for them to make the playoffs it will take a miraculous run which most think is highly improbable. I am going to remain optimistic because I would rather see them playing good hockey learning positive things than the garbage that they were the first part of the season.

that being said if they did happen to have that miracle and make it they could compete with any team in the East including the Flyers...

I'm one of the negative nellies who don't want them to make the playoffs. They aren't going to win the cup, so what's the rush?...Economy is still tough too and I don't want to pay for playoff ticets when they'd have no shot to advance.

IMO if they make the playoffs and get Parise back, they have the horses to make a run. I can see not wanting them to fvck up their draft pick by sprinting to the 10 seed, though.

OK after a disappointing finish to last night, we need to keep the faith. They still earned a point, and are still 8 - 1 - 2 in their last 11 games. It is not something new to figure out that the Devils will still need a lot of help to have any shot at something special happening... That being said this thread was created for that purpose. To look at who we need to root for on a daily basis. Today is tough there are a few tough ones to pick but here are my thoughts anyway...

Rags at Montreal my thoughts are we want Montreal. They are ahead of the Rags, and have played 2 fewer games. Go Habs!

Leafs at Buffalo this is alot to ask but obviously we want the Leafs to win. If the Leafs pull this one out after the Sabres lost last night, thank the Hockey Gods...

Sens at the Isles another tough one but neither of these teams scare me so we want the Isles, because the Sens have 42 and even though with an Isles win they will move a point ahead of the Devils, With a Devils win tomorrow they can jump them back and move into a tie with the Sens. So go Isles!!

Last we have Atlanta at the Canes another TOUGH one but I think most will agree the Canes are more of a problem than the Thrashers, so we need the Thrashers to pull the upset here...

Keep the Faith and we will have an update tomorrow...

P.S. we have a few important days coming up with the Devils having a few big games as well as teams like the Rags and Ottawa facing tough games so Devils need to make the most of these opportunities...

Well overall not too bad, the Isles win, Canadiens win, Atlanta going to OT against the Canes wasnt a bad thing, and Toronto wasnt able to do much against the Sabres.

that being said with a win tomorrow the Devils move past both the ISles and tie the Sens but have more wins. Will update tomorrow....

Well overall not too bad, the Isles win, Canadiens win, Atlanta going to OT against the Canes wasnt a bad thing, and Toronto wasnt able to do much against the Sabres.

How is that not a bad thing, they both get points? You need two point games wherever possible when East teams play each other, especially when you're talking about the 8 and 9 both getting points.

And if we lose to Montreal this thread either gets locked or forgotten about by Tuesday.

How is that not a bad thing, they both get points? You need two point games wherever possible when East teams play each other, especially when you're talking about the 8 and 9 both getting points.

And if we lose to Montreal this thread either gets locked or forgotten about by Tuesday.

yeah and if we beat Montreal and the Canes on Tuesday this thread grows in interest!!

Try to stay positive...