2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

devilsrule33

Was just going to post this. Gionta sure earned that top 6 promotion!

But...but listening to a certain person on this board, I was told gionta doesn't get used incorrectly. Aside from his time on the PK where he is woefully out of place (good positioning actually seems to know what hes doing just to small to be out there, doesnt clog up lanes with that sh!t reach) and being put out in overtime, he's got the lowest ice time on the team.

We now have 2 lines, any top line with gionta on it is going to be sh!t. I hope I have to eat crow and somehow that line is on fire, but it wont last over any long stretch even if it did magically work tonight, im confident in saying that because steven gionta is nothing more than a good 4th line player.

But...but listening to a certain person on this board, I was told gionta doesn't get used incorrectly. Aside from his time on the PK where he is woefully out of place (good positioning actually seems to know what hes doing just to small to be out there, doesnt clog up lanes with that sh!t reach) and being put out in overtime, he's got the lowest ice time on the team.

We now have 2 lines, any top line with gionta on it is going to be sh!t. I hope I have to eat crow and somehow that line is on fire, but it wont last over any long stretch even if it did magically work tonight, im confident in saying that because steven gionta is nothing more than a good 4th line player.

can we wait and see how much toi gionta gets tonight? Josefson was on the top line on Tuesday and ended up with less than 10 mins. If gionta winds up with more than that then it means we're winning.

can we wait and see how much toi gionta gets tonight? Josefson was on the top line on Tuesday and ended up with less than 10 mins. If gionta winds up with more than that then it means we're winning.

How long do we have to wait for you accept being wrong. Pete overuses gionta. I'd rather have yayo out there on that line then gio. The fact that in an every game is like the playoffs for us scenario, he's putting gionta on the second fvcking line, is ridiculous even if its for 1 period. And Gionta will have more than 10 minutes tonight, barring injury. And it has nothing to do with us winning or not. He's going to get 2nd line time for a large chunk of the game and he's going to be out there on the PK. He's probably going to get like 16min tonight.

I mean fvck if you wanna roll the dice on a 4th line guy, Ryan carter is the best player on the 3rd line by far. Elias can play center move carts up, he deserved it earlier in the season before his injury.

Edited by Sneax

How long do we have to wait for you accept being wrong. Pete overuses gionta. I'd rather have yayo out there on that line then gio. The fact that in an every game is like the playoffs for us scenario, he's putting gionta on the second fvcking line, is ridiculous even if its for 1 period. And Gionta will have more than 10 minutes tonight, barring injury. And it has nothing to do with us winning or not. He's going to get 2nd line time for a large chunk of the game and he's going to be out there on the PK. He's probably going to get like 16min tonight.

I mean fvck if you wanna roll the dice on a 4th line guy, Ryan carter is the best player on the 3rd line by far. Elias can play center move carts up, he deserved it earlier in the season before his injury.

I agree with this 100%, I'm fine for rotating guys and adjusting the lineup when you're not winning, but if you want to put a 4th line guy in a top 6 role, it should be Carter or Bernier, not Gio.  

Gionta has had less than 10 mins of ice time at even strength ONCE in 2014. We have not won all those games. 

Gionta has had less than 10 mins of ice time at even strength ONCE in 2014. We have not won all those games.

sorry, I did not mean to insinuate that giontas toi is directly proportional to our winning %. What I meant was:

-Gionta will probably not stay in the top 6 for any significant period if time in this game

-if he does it means something is working.

-gionta has the lowest 5v5 toi of any of our regular forwards, yet gets the most hate.

I do not think gionta deserves to be in the lineup over jj and loktionov. I think moving him between Elias and Brunner is odd to say the least. But I'm not going to freak out over it until 1) I see if it's a legitimate move or last only a period and 2) if it sparks anything.

I don't like how this board is so black and white- every move is either good or bad and can either be hated or loved. There is a middle ground.

During the pre-season, many saw the depth the Devils had was too good for Gionta to get a spot, especially with his two-way contract. Then it was clear the CBGB line was going to stay together at the expense of Josefson. Then Gionta got a look on the third line with injuries (though his play was the same old). Now tonight, the debut of second liner Stephen Gionta!

How about this...I know it is crazy, but how about getting your best players in the lineup and actually giving some of them a chance to do something. Jacob Josefson was impressive enough the last few games. Loktionov did some really solid things in his last stint in the lineup. But that wasn't enough. It's never enough.

I don't care if it is 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 1 shift, 1 game, whatever. There is nothing that Gionta has ever showed in his life that says he should be or is capable of playing on a 2nd line with the likes of an Elias or Brunner. 

Gionta doesn't deserve this but he needs to be booed at home loud enough to get the message across to DeBoer or at least to Lou re: Deboer.  The same goes with Salvador and his inexplicable heavy ice time every night.  It may piss off the other players or it may just go right over the dumbass's head, but it needs to be done.  I like Gionta and I like Salvador but their contributions do not warrant the way Deboer uses them.  It is a shame because Deboer is making people hate players who should be liked for being heart and soul guys.

Gionta doesn't deserve this but he needs to be booed at home loud enough to get the message across to DeBoer or at least to Lou re: Deboer.  The same goes with Salvador and his inexplicable heavy ice time every night.  It may piss off the other players or it may just go right over the dumbass's head, but it needs to be done.  I like Gionta and I like Salvador but their contributions do not warrant the way Deboer uses them.  It is a shame because Deboer is making people hate players who should be liked for being heart and soul guys.

Booing any player on your favourite team is really uncalled for unless there is a clear lack of interest/effort.

Most Devils fans love Gionta, as far as I can tell.  Not hard to love a guy who is 5'3" but plays hard every single shift.  

I know why Loktionov ended up on DeBoer's bad side but he's at least done way more than Josefson and deserves another shot here.  Elias is going to be able to cover for Gionta and indeed Gionta will get his shots - it's one thing he can do okay - he just can't score.  

Most Devils fans love Gionta, as far as I can tell.  Not hard to love a guy who is 5'3" but plays hard every single shift.  

I know why Loktionov ended up on DeBoer's bad side but he's at least done way more than Josefson and deserves another shot here.  Elias is going to be able to cover for Gionta and indeed Gionta will get his shots - it's one thing he can do okay - he just can't score.  

There's never been a poll of Devils fans at large, but if you go by the messageboard zeitgest, everyone hates Gionta. 

And it's funny.  Last year, you started a thread about how awful Gionta was, and it seemed that most people came to his defense.  (My view was similar to what it is now, he's a pretty good fourth liner that the team's fortunes will not rise or fall on).  All of the sudden, things have turned into the fvck Gionta bandwagon.

This might sum it up perfectly:

So one of Josefson/Loktionov is going to get scratched, the other on the 4th line, and Gionta is on the 2nd line. What the fvck!

EDIT: So apparently both Josefson and Loktionov are out for 7 D?! Ugh!!!!!!!

During the pre-season, many saw the depth the Devils had was too good for Gionta to get a spot, especially with his two-way contract. Then it was clear the CBGB line was going to stay together at the expense of Josefson. Then Gionta got a look on the third line with injuries (though his play was the same old). Now tonight, the debut of second liner Stephen Gionta!

How about this...I know it is crazy, but how about getting your best players in the lineup and actually giving some of them a chance to do something. Jacob Josefson was impressive enough the last few games. Loktionov did some really solid things in his last stint in the lineup. But that wasn't enough. It's never enough.

I don't care if it is 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 1 shift, 1 game, whatever. There is nothing that Gionta has ever showed in his life that says he should be or is capable of playing on a 2nd line with the likes of an Elias or Brunner. 

I'm not looking forward to Lou re-signing Gionta to a 2 year deal again this offseason.

Edited by thefiestygoat

So one of Josefson/Loktionov is going to get scratched, the other on the 4th line, and Gionta is on the 2nd line. What the fvck!

I'm not looking forward to Lou re-signing Gionta to a 2 year deal again this offseason.

It did look like one of Bernier or Carter was going to be scratched from how TG had it written.

Not only Gionta, but Carter and Bernier get an absolute free pass for their play. They are not obligated to score at all even when a guy like Bernier got moved up to the second line. Josefson and Loktionov get 5-6 minutes to score or they are out of the lineup.

So, I've found this to be an effective lineup predictor - take a logical, reasonable lineup and essentially think of ways to ruin it.  If you think outside the box justttt enough, you may just come up with the same lineup PDB selects. 

2 years 4 million. Book it.

This would make me cry.  You're totally right though, Gio has definitely been around long enough to earn a loyalty contract from Lou.  God Damnit.