Martin Not Setting the World on Fire

Daniel

Yeah, where's that 50 point season quarterbacking the power play that everyone was talking about?

I don't know who was speculating that, but that's not Martin's game. Rafalski, yes, Martin, no. Martin's a solid position player, not an offensive dynamo. Plus he's behind Letang and Goligoski on the offense-dman chart. If either of them went down with an injury, he'd see more 1st unit time.

Martin & Michalek have bolstered the team's defense, but neither one was brought on board in hopes of being an offensive sparkplug. Martin's +9 and helping get the puck out of the zone and in transition, and Michalek has blocked 73 shots in 34 games.

Devils don't miss Martin's point production as much as they miss his ability to break out of the d-zone.

His personal stats don't matter when his team is doing well and is a lock for the playoffs. I never really thought he was an offensive defensemen anyway, more of a two-way guy.

Yep. The guy's greatest strengths never really showed on the stat sheet. He's a damn solid defenseman. $5M per season solid? That's a tough sell, but it looks like the Pens probably aren't losing any sleep over the investment.

Martin is definitely the type of player who's abilities don't show up in his stats. He really does have a knack for getting the puck up and out of his own end though. He always seemed to be able to maneuver past any forechecking players to make a breakout pass or to take the puck up ice himself.

I always thought he was our best defenseman once Niedermayer and Rafalski left. He sees the ice well and reads the play as it unfolds better than most defenseman in the league. He's one of the top American born defenseman that are playing now imo, but if the question is if he is $5mil good, I'd say no, he's close, but I'd say more like $4mil, maybe $4.5mil, but $5 is a tad high. Maybe if he put up 45-50+pts consistently, then he might be worth it, but not when he only can be counted on for 25-35pts each season. Plus, he's not a very big guy and isn't a physical player, so that's a bit of a mark against him despite the fact that he makes up for that well with his vision and good skating.

I don't know who was speculating that, but that's not Martin's game. Rafalski, yes, Martin, no. Martin's a solid position player, not an offensive dynamo. Plus he's behind Letang and Goligoski on the offense-dman chart. If either of them went down with an injury, he'd see more 1st unit time.

Martin & Michalek have bolstered the team's defense, but neither one was brought on board in hopes of being an offensive sparkplug. Martin's +9 and helping get the puck out of the zone and in transition, and Michalek has blocked 73 shots in 34 games.

Devils don't miss Martin's point production as much as they miss his ability to break out of the d-zone.

+1

If Martin were still here he would be the only defensemen that can get the puck out of our zone.

Edited by MantaRay

meh, remember when Gomez was gonna put up 100 points for the Rags (at least their fans thought so).

We knew how he was, and we too knew who Martin is. Probably was (when not injured) our best at getting the biscuit out of the zone.

He eats up lots of minutes & makes few terrible mistakes, often covering for his partners miscues.