New CBA details

SterioDesign

alright so the details have emerged... so

Ten-year term with an opt-out at eight years.

Year 2 salary cap at $64.3 million, with the floor at $44 million.

Seven-year term limit for NHL player contracts (eight years if player is re-signing with his own team).

Salary variance: No more than 35 percent year-over-year and no year less than 50 percent of the highest year.

Teams will have up to two compliance buyouts to use prior to the 2013-14 season but not before this June.

Start of free agency remains July 1 for Years 2 through 10. (oObviously because of the late start, free agency will begin later this year.)

Draft lottery system changes in order to allow all 14 teams that missed the playoffs a crack at the No. 1 overall pick.

source:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/21176/breaking-down-the-nhls-new-cba

thoughts?

Mirtle reported that the cap escalator, which the NHLPA votes on every June to increase the salary cap (and floor) by 5% is still in this CBA, which is amazing to me.

The NHL did nothing to solve the issues that floor teams have except that they were able to cut salary. In the end, they won far less than I would have thought going in.

Mirtle reported that the cap escalator, which the NHLPA votes on every June to increase the salary cap (and floor) by 5% is still in this CBA, which is amazing to me.

The NHL did nothing to solve the issues that floor teams have except that they were able to cut salary. In the end, they won far less than I would have thought going in.

Was this - Revenue sharing among teams will spread to $200 million. Additionally, an NHLPA-initiated growth fund of $60 million is included."

Explained in more detail anywhere?

There was an article about sticking points on CBA evasion and the penalty the Devils received was codified into the new CBA. First offense was forfeit 1 first rounder. Second offense was four first rounders.

There was contention around it because Bettman wanted to be able to apply his own unspecified penalties.

There was an article about sticking points on CBA evasion and the penalty the Devils received was codified into the new CBA. First offense was forfeit 1 first rounder. Second offense was four first rounders.

There was contention around it because Bettman wanted to be able to apply his own unspecified penalties.

That sucks. I was hoping that stupid penalty would go away. I wonder if Lou plans to fight it- I would doubt it at this point. I'm also still wondering if he plans to pursue tampering charges against Minnesota for the Parise debacle too, although I'm sure we wouldn't hear about it if he did.

The NHL did virtually nothing to solve the issues that floor teams have except that they were able to cut salary. In the end, they won far less than I would have thought going in.

I agree. The large-market teams continue to get high-revenues well over the cap-limit & put that into their pockets, while smaller-market teams don't gain much at all.

Particluarly when you see the floor raise from 44M --> 70M over the 10 year deal

The Cap-limit goes up 22% over the length of the deal, yet the cap-floor goes up 59%.

That sucks. I was hoping that stupid penalty would go away. I wonder if Lou plans to fight it- I would doubt it at this point. I'm also still wondering if he plans to pursue tampering charges against Minnesota for the Parise debacle too, although I'm sure we wouldn't hear about it if he did.

The penalty's not going away - first of all, the Devils already paid $3M and forfeited a 3rd round pick - and he's not pursuing tampering charges against Minnesota.

Notice the ratio between Ceiling & Floor in Year 3 (since the first 2 years are liek the old-CBA) and see that the difference goes from 34% in Year 3 to 22% in Year 10

This just means smaller market teams will reach the floor by taking on the larger-market teams contract mistakes --- and do so more than they are doing today

Yeah, those are the same.

Mirtle also reporting that the cap benefit recapture formula will be applied in this CBA, it works like so:

http://www.theglobea...article6251627/

Under this, if Kovalchuk retired in 2020, when he's 37 and due to make only $10 million over the next 5 years, the Devils would be hit with a dead cap charge of 4.67M for the next 5 seasons. Not onerous given that I expect New Jersey to be a floor-ish team in that time, but not great either. It's unclear how it would work if he were traded in that time.

Edited by Triumph

. I love how you say the last part like you actually know that for sure.

I can't find anything about penalties for negotiating before the assigned date in the previous CBA, but Unless Russo's story about it was a complete fabrication, there's no reason to file tampering charges. Lou says he did so in the Stevens case because he 'felt like the other side wasn't listening'. There's no indication that that's what went on here.

So in other words we're definitely guaranteed to have another lockout in eight years?

I don't get how the cap can increase every year and they claim they have a flat 50-50 system?

So in other words we're definitely guaranteed to have another lockout in eight years?

I don't get how the cap can increase every year and they claim they have a flat 50-50 system?

In the end the way I understand it you have a cap and you have revenue sharing regardless so that goes into escrow...it sounds odd but its basically seperating what you spend from what you make in the system.

The cap is tied to revenues. However, if the players vote for the cap escalator, the cap goes up, but so does the amount of salary each player has to put into escrow each year. Under this system, the cap could be whatever amount, but if revenues fall short of the amount the salary cap anticipates, the players lose X dollars that they put into escrow (and likewise if the NHL does better than the cap anticipates). When the players vote for the inflator, they are essentially hoping/betting that the league will end up beating what the cap number says. And in many years it has - NHL players haven't lost much money via escrow.