Lou Lamoriello Appreciation Thread

MadDog2020

Poised to turn the team around?  If last year (after missing playoffs) was any indication of improvement,  Lou fell a lil short. I love/respect LL as much as anyone.  It was time for  change. If Shero screws up bad enough Lou can fire him. Lou will always be a god

Good reply, except the part the Lou is God.

A large portion of this board wanted change for the sake of change because they couldn't handle being middling for 3 years.

If you look at Shero's record, it isn't too dissimilar from Lou's. We see someone who has overweighed stay at home dmen, has been successful drafting defensemen, has failed at drafting forwards, and has overpaid to keep some of his own players. The only advantage Shero had was that he could rely on two generational superstars.

Edited by William D'Aquila

I cannot and will not acknowledge this team going forward. Not after how they treated Lou. The man should have been given the choice to be GM until he was ready to retire. 3 Stanley Cups and a decade and a half of ongoing success have earned him that!

You have said you were finished with this team in various threads.   Your choice and no one twisted your arm. Why then do you keep reading and posting? Shows you haven't given up anything.  If you are really done then be done.  This maniacal whining is getting old, even older than me. :rolleyes:

I cannot and will not acknowledge this team going forward. Not after how they treated Lou. The man should have been given the choice to be GM until he was ready to retire. 3 Stanley Cups and a decade and a half of ongoing success have earned him that!

Why do you keep telling us that? Stop acknowledging the team then. The past is the past. Time to move forward.

I hear the Rangers currently have a good team and a GM that's been there a while

Looks like one of the guys running the 5th best NHL team is taking over for the one running the 3rd best. It still doesn't change the fact that it was time for something new. 

Seeing the Blues on this list of successful franchises makes me laugh.  22 postseason appearance and how many were 1st round exists?  We know they won 0 cups in that time, but how many finals appearances did they have over that run? 

Seeing the Blues on this list of successful franchises makes me laugh.  22 postseason appearance and how many were 1st round exists?  We know they won 0 cups in that time, but how many finals appearances did they have over that run? 

The last time the Blues made the Finals was 1970, their third year in existence and third straight appearance.

The last time the Blues made the Finals was 1970, their third year in existence and third straight appearance.

And even then that is a bit of a façade as when they joined the league as part of the first major expansion in 1967 from 6 to 12 teams, the 6 new teams were all put into one conference and then the original six were put into the other conference.  Therefore the NHL forced one of the new expansion 6 teams into the finals to face an original 6 team.

And even then that is a bit of a façade as when they joined the league as part of the first major expansion in 1967 from 6 to 12 teams, the 6 new teams were all put into one conference and then the original six were put into the other conference.  Therefore the NHL forced one of the new expansion 6 teams into the finals to face an original 6 team.

So they were the cream of the bottom six teams for their first 3 years in existence. Not terrible really.

So they were the cream of the bottom six teams for their first 3 years in existence. Not terrible really.

But not great either.  It was something the NHL did on purpose to get people in the new cities excited about their teams.

The Blues got swept 4-0 in each of their 3 straight finals appearances.  They shouldn't have been there.  Even Scotty Bowman who was coaching them couldn't do much really.

15. Shero told a great story about his relationship with Lamoriello. “A few years ago, I was having a disagreement with Dean Lombardi over something,” Shero said. “We get along very well, but disagreed over this. To settle this, I said to him, ‘Why don’t I call Lou and see what he says and get back to you?’ We agreed on that. So I called (Lamoriello) and he said, ‘Based on the information you have given me, here’s what I think.’ He agreed with me, so I called Dean and told him Lou was on my side. That was the end of that.” What was it about? “I won’t tell you. You can ask Dean, but he won’t tell you either.” So far, that’s true.

The thing is -- Lou hamstrung himself.  I'm not sure how it happened but never at any time did I see a way to really get out of anything. 

You can even follow Tri's posts on this.  Being logical, rational is how Lou got here.  I don't see how he could have been wheeling and dealing as you all think he should have been. 

I think it was time for him to go of course.  Well, let me re-phrase that: it was time for that statement to be made.  My problem and it's an eternal problem not one caused by new ownership or any whining etc. Lou isn't replaceable -- not with one person who will last for another 27 years. So the team will now be as inconsistent as any other NHL team.  I never saw a way of avoiding that.  I also couldn't see a way for Lou to go out on top.  We're at square one and it will take Shero a good long time to get the team on it's feet.  I dont think there will be people set to work against him which I do think Lou had to swim against.  and I do think Lou is responsible for making that bed, dont get me wrong.

I wish Lou had gone out on top.  Sigh...  he can't compete with Scotty Bowman's legacy at all now.  I know it's SORT OF apples to tomatoes but ...  it's like Stevens not getting the Norris ever.  It's just like --- this amazingly high standard that still goes down as on rung below... and that is my only problem. 

and the fact no one is being normal rational logical and we're infighting and talking about the Blue in the Lou Appreciation thread.  There's haters and worse yet the apathetic, acting all kind and full of insight giving Lou his vapid props, :puke: then the weird folks I think just want to blow off steam arguing about nothing. Lou just deserves much better than the majority is giving him here.

I guess the Yankees, Patriots and perhaps a few others would be there if those leagues had more playoff spots.

Lou is easily one of the top ten, probably top five GMs in all of North America professional sports of any time. He never ran into a generational talent, either the Penguins way or by luck, like say the Patriots did by drafting Tom Brady (as the saying goes, if they knew he would be that good, the Pats would have drafted him sooner) and in any event, drafting involves a lot of luck, and is not really the GMs complete call anyway. He couldn't build a team in the Yankee kind of way through buying premier talent. He also rarely, rarely got burnt in any trade.

While drafting Marty, trading for the Leafs pick or getting Stevens is usually what people talk about, I'll always think Lou reached his peak when the Devils moved up to draf Parise. The Devils had just won the Cup, and got who turned out to be probably the fourth or fifth best player in what is considered to be one of the deepest drafts ever. While it still burns me to watch anything having to do with Parise, I still wish someone could track down Pierre McGuire's reaction at the draft when it was announced that the Devils were moving up. He knew that the Devils were going to draft him, and said this was the reason that the Devils are always competing for a Stanley Cup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lou Is the first one to say that the Devils got lucky with Marty because if they knew how good he'd be, they aren't trading down at the 11 spot. They are taking Brodeur right there. They picked Dunham and Schwab in the same draft.

As for Parise, it goes on his record, but he has said plenty of times that his scouting staff was adamant that they trade down to get him. I vaguely remember it was as excited that he has seen his staff with any pick. He was able to make the trade and have trust in his staff to do so.