Jon Merrill

Daniel

still no word on what he did but looks like he's going to play for team usa in the under 18's

My link

Jim Johannson on the inclusion of Jon Merrill, who was suspended by the University of Michigan for the first half of the 2011-12 season:

We’ve been in communication with Red Berenson and the University of Michigan. Jon’s situation at Michigan is that he’s being supported by Michigan and his participation with us is being supported by Red and Michigan. That was important for us in Jon’s involvement and his continued development as a student-athlete.

With us, Jon’s got a long history in our programs and has performed extremely well for us and carried himself well in everything he’s done with us. For him to be involved with us, we, number one, wanted to make sure Michigan was on board with it and they are. Second, can he help our team? We think he can help our hockey team.

So that led to his involvement with us. He’s been skating and he’s in great shape and should be ready to go, if his playing history carries with him, we expect him to be a big part of this team.

I saw him play for Michigan and was quite happy with what I saw. College hockey is a different animal than the NHL/AHL so translation from one to the other isn't aways equal.

Merril is a puck mover who can play the point on the powerplay. He has good hands and has some speed. I'd put him in the Paul Martin class right now. We'll have to see what happens when he starts to play again.

Numerous college athletes have been suspended from play who make it past the college ranks. If I recall, Brendan Yip was one of four from BU who got suspended (the others I think are all in the A... Ewing, Captain McGuirk, McGoff were the others). Sometimes it is alcohol, tardiness, grades, professionalism, skipping meeting/practices, drugs, or could be a combination. It is usually for something serious in terms of the university. The schools try to keep it under wraps so it does NOT gain attention.

I really would like to see how this kid would do given the stuff I have heard about him. About how far away is he from the nhl?

Looks like he will turn 20 in February. I wouldn't be shocked to see him in the AHL next season, unless all parties involved feel another (full) year of college is best for him. Then it's just a matter of how he adjusts.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Merrill was clearly the best player available at a position of need when he was drafted. He had no physical problems which caused his draft stock to plummet, so Lou had to figure that getting a first round talent in the second round seriously outweighed the potential risk. Plus, we had Jefferson/Danton on the team, how much worse could he have been than that?

Was he suspended by the NCAA or just by Michigan?

I believe it was just Michigan and not the NCAA , but not 100% certain.

If the NCAA did not suspend him , seems odd that his school would suspend him for so long for something that does not break NCAA policy.

One of my football teammates from high school is the beat writer for the Michigan hockey team. From what I remember him telling me, Merrill was suspended for the first 6 CCHA games for "violating team rules." So I don't think he's allowed to play until Michigan plays 6 conference game (or 3 weekend series). I have no clue if they've already played 6 or not, though.

Edited by RSC

Was he suspended by the NCAA or just by Michigan?I believe it was just Michigan and not the NCAA , but not 100% certain.If the NCAA did not suspend him , seems odd that his school would suspend him for so long for something that does not break NCAA policy.

The suspension was just for a violation of team rules. I'm sure Michigan has there reasons for dealing with the situation the way they have.

One of my football teammates from high school is the beat writer for the Michigan hockey team. From what I remember him telling me, Merrill was suspended for the first 6 CCHA games for "violating team rules." So I don't think he's allowed to play until Michigan plays 6 conference game (or 3 weekend series). I have no clue if they've already played 6 or not, though.

That's pretty cool your friend is the beat writer. From the articles I found online he was initially suspended 12 games (which counted exhibitions). After those 12 games were up they changed his suspension to indefinitely but allowed him back at practice. Michigan has played 14 CCHA games so far (5-6-3) if anyone was wondering.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Merrill may not be returning to the Michigan line up any time soon:

https://twitter.com/#!/MichiganHockey/status/154272391382568960

"Michael Spath at The Wolverine said per Red Berenson this morning sophomore Jon Merrill will not play this weekend."

https://twitter.com/#!/MichiganHockey/status/154273508040511488

"Spath: "Didn't sound super optimistic (Jon Merrill) will be back anytime soon either. Might have to push his ETA back to late January.""

Honestly, at this point, I hope that he chooses to leave the team. I'd like to see him finish college (at least 2 years worth), but he'll be better off leaving NCAA behind. There are some good options open to him.

Honestly, at this point, I hope that he chooses to leave the team. I'd like to see him finish college (at least 2 years worth), but he'll be better off leaving NCAA behind. There are some good options open to him.

There were rumors he was going to sign with the Plymouth Whalers (OHL) back in November which would've made a lot of sense but he declined. Either the issue he is taking care of would've prevented him from playing with them or perhaps he felt he owed it to Michigan to serve the suspension. I think the ship has sailed on him moving away from Michigan this season. Though the fact he may not play until at least late January is worrisome. I wonder if he is going to try to return there next year or just sign with the Devils and go to the AHL. Looking like a lost year for his development at this point.

I think that he's sticking with Michigan for this season, as well (aside from playing for Team USA, of course). I'm more concerned about his future.

Him signing with the Devils to play for Albany next season is a pretty good bet.

It's amazing how long this suspension has gone on. Did he sleep with Berenson's daughter? At this point, I don't think he'll be playing for Michigan this year, or ever again.

This year has become a lost year for his development. I hope he signs with the Devils and is assigned to Albany immediately after the Michigan season ends so he gets to play some real game action (other than the World Juniors) this season.

Yea, this subject came up on ILWT a while back, as well.

I refrained from speculating then, and I'm gonna continue that here as well. We'll probably never know, and really it's none of our business anyway, in my opinion.

https://twitter.com/#!/MichiganHockey/status/155056633406435328

"Michael Spath posted on The Wolverine forum re: Jon Merrill - As one source told me, "the only way he leaves is if Michigan kicks him out.'"

https://twitter.com/#!/MichiganHockey/status/155057433180512256

"Spath added, "(Merrill)'s a kid that loves Michigan and has always wanted to be a Wolverine so he's committed to sticking it out.'"

https://twitter.com/#!/MichiganHockey/status/155056633406435328

"Michael Spath posted on The Wolverine forum re: Jon Merrill - As one source told me, "the only way he leaves is if Michigan kicks him out.'"

https://twitter.com/#!/MichiganHockey/status/155057433180512256

"Spath added, "(Merrill)'s a kid that loves Michigan and has always wanted to be a Wolverine so he's committed to sticking it out.'"

That's good to hear. Also, moving him makes zero sense. The kid has #2 or #3 potential, I feel he has a pretty good chance at hitting that potential as well. If you trade him you may get a 2nd round pick at this point, which most likely doesn't amount to anything.

Yea, I wouldn't trade his rights for anything. Either he'll be a top 3 defenseman in a few years, or he'll be a bust...

I'd definitely talk to him about playing for someone else after this season, though (assuming that the issue he's having at Michigan is something that other teams can live with or deal with... which, having no idea what it is, makes it impossible to guess what's actually going to happen).

Edited by ohms law

Yea, I wouldn't trade his rights for anything. Either he'll be a top 3 defenseman in a few years, or he'll be a bust...

I'd definitely talk to him about playing for someone else after this season, though (assuming that the issue he's having at Michigan is something that other teams can live with or deal with... which, having no idea what it is, makes it impossible to guess what's actually going to happen).

It would be nearly 85% chance he is signed and placed assigned to Albany next season. The faster they sign him the faster they can get him help for his problem as well.