Careful what you wish for, Devils fans

Derlique

W.R.T. Fayne, Lou did not chose to let him go. In fact Lou tried to keep him but he got a ridiculous contract from EDM. Larsson/Gelinas are Lou's second choice.

I think Lou was willing to re-sign him but not for any more than 2 years.  Larsson/Gelinas aren't his second choice - those guys have to be on the roster this year regardless of what else happens - it's just that there isn't anything behind them that's at all proven.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Lou had matched that deal, there would be a lot of people out here using adjectives worse than that.

Sure, but only because the Devils don't use Fayne all that much and they shouldn't be giving out a 4 year deal to a guy with Fayne's makeup when they have a lot of D prospects.  Someone's always going to consider any multi-year UFA deal an overpay.  If the Devils had the D they had in say, 2006, letting a guy like Fayne walk over a deal like that would be criminal.

Edited by Triumph

I'll miss the steady play of Fayne this season, but its time to give the youth on defense more responsibilities. Least concerned with Jon Merrill at this point. Hoping Larsson and Gelinas both have a lot more ups then downs.

im glad he did it but honestly i dont remember any mention of anyone saying he'd want to get Greene extended this summer? I really dont

He said it weeks ago before Schneider was signed but wanted to wait until Greene's wedding and honeymoon were done. He called it a priority along with Schneider.

If Lou had matched that deal, there would be a lot of people out here using adjectives worse than that.

There is a difference between the Devils giving Fayne a contract like that with their defensive situation and another team that badly needs defense giving Fayne a deal like that.

Fayne at 4/$14m isn't a bad deal for Edmonton in my opinion.

He said it weeks ago before Schneider was signed but wanted to wait until Greene's wedding and honeymoon were done. He called it a priority along with Schneider.

No no i was referring to the OP saying

What fans wanted- Lou to sign Cory Schneider and Andy Greene to contract extensions this summer

I dont remember anyone saying they wanted Green locked up this summer. Great move and all glad he did it. juste dont remember anyone saying it

Edited by SterioDesign

I think a lot of Devils fans were so concerned about Schneider and what Lou might do in UFA that Greene's contract status probably wasn't first and foremost on most people's minds.  I think the player in particular has something to do with it too...Greene has come a long way and is definitely appreciated more than he's ever been in his Devils career (for making that kind of progress and becoming a reliable vet), but he's not the kind of guy people start worrying about early, the way they might about sexier/bigger names.   

Not to mention Greene did actually get to July 1 once already and re-signed with us. So time wasn't as much an issue, though signing Greene was almost as important as Cory given the fact he's literally the only vet we have under contract after this year.

lets hope it was important because the plan is to not have salvador back after this season

NJ is going to have to sign/trade for someone this coming off-season, though.  I don't think they are letting Salvador and Zidlicky walk and filling those spots with rookies/2nd year players.

As long as there's not a dramatic drop in his play, you can count on Zidlicky being back.  Seems that the understanding is that he'll keep signing one year deals so long as Lou wants him back. 

I think at best Sal is getting one-year deals from now on.  The analytics people, not to mention ownership that seems to be interested in that stuff, are going to say that his only value at this point is that he's an experienced defenseman that will allow the team to ease in younger players.  If he's a bad as people say, he should be even worse this year. 

As long as there's not a dramatic drop in his play, you can count on Zidlicky being back.  Seems that the understanding is that he'll keep signing one year deals so long as Lou wants him back. 

I think at best Sal is getting one-year deals from now on.  The analytics people, not to mention ownership that seems to be interested in that stuff, are going to say that his only value at this point is that he's an experienced defenseman that will allow the team to ease in younger players.  If he's a bad as people say, he should be even worse this year. 

Zidlicky turns 38 in February.  Salvador turns 39 in February.  It's really hard to count on either guy being good enough next year to play.  Salvador could hold on as a 7th D I guess.  Either way I'd be shocked if both guys were back. 

Zidlicky turns 38 in February.  Salvador turns 39 in February.  It's really hard to count on either guy being good enough next year to play.  Salvador could hold on as a 7th D I guess.  Either way I'd be shocked if both guys were back.

if one or the other has to be back next year i would really hope it would be zid over sal..there is no reason we need to have sal any longer

NJ is going to have to sign/trade for someone this coming off-season, though.  I don't think they are letting Salvador and Zidlicky walk and filling those spots with rookies/2nd year players.

this makes sense but its so tough to tell without seeing how larsson, merrill and gelinas progress. while we are all high on them, i think it's safe to say that the season is going to start out with deboer leaning heavily on sal and zid and they will have to play their way down the depth chart while the kids play up.

if at the end of the year, you're seeing sal taking on anton's role this year of PK guy and 13:00 of 3rd pairing and zid is PP2 and 15:00 because the kids have stepped up, its possible that severson and/or santini are given a shot.

but even with that, there's still peter harrold's spot that needs to be dealt with so he could get more responsibility if he's resigned or another guy is brought in.

Santini is in college this year, he's not getting a shot unless it's at a frat party.

I don't think they will start out with a Salvador-Zidlicky pairing.  Could be wrong about that, but I don't think they'll start out that way.  I think both guys will be getting less ice time than they did last year.