Brodeur Downplays Birthday; Says He Has Years Left.

Quinn01

Once again Brodeur addressed his future beyond this season. He thinks he has a few years left.

“I think so. I’m really enjoying this ride regardless of what happens in the next month or two months,” he said. “I’m enjoying coming to the rink and playing hockey. I don’t want to sit back and five years from now say, ‘Oh, I should have played one more.’ The decision on whether I’m going to go or nor will come later on, but as of now I’m enjoying myself. I’m really liking it.”

Coach Pete DeBoer agrees Brodeur isn’t done.

“From a guy that’s in his 40s, he looks a lot better than I do,” DeBoer said with a laugh. “A credit to him. It’s amazing the level he’s at, especially considering the number of games he’s played. This guy hasn’t been a 50-game-a-year guy. He’s 70 or 80, plus playoffs. That’s a lot of games on that body and he looks like he’s not done yet. He’s got some years left in him.”

NJ.com

I've been rather critical of Brodeur for a while now, but I cannot deny how important his puckhandling has been to the Devils' dominance over the Flyers in games 2-4. They really can't get anything going on the dump and chase cause Broduer has no fear leaving the net and moving the puck calmly to a Devils Dman. That is something which will seriously be missed when he retires, regardless of how good the next goalie's puck stopping skills are.

I've been rather critical of Brodeur for a while now, but I cannot deny how important his puckhandling has been to the Devils' dominance over the Flyers in games 2-4. They really can't get anything going on the dump and chase cause Broduer has no fear leaving the net and moving the puck calmly to a Devils Dman. That is something which will seriously be missed when he retires, regardless of how good the next goalie's puck stopping skills are.

It's something that's often overlooked by his critics. You always hear people saying he's overrated because he didn't face a lot of shots, but they overlook the fact that his own skill with the stick is a major part of why he faced so few. Hell, they instituted a silly rule just to make him less dominant at shot prevention.

So true. I was just saying to someone yesterday how the reason Marty is still very valuable in net is his puckhandling.

It's something that's often overlooked by his critics. You always hear people saying he's overrated because he didn't face a lot of shots, but they overlook the fact that his own skill with the stick is a major part of why he faced so few. Hell, they instituted a silly rule just to make him less dominant at shot prevention.

Guilty as charged. In fact that's the best thing about the Trapezoid rule. It will forever be tied to Brodeur and will force his puckhandling to be mentioned whenever debating Brodeur's career and his relative standing among the greatest of all time.

Correlation between the institution of the trapezoid and amount of shots against??? I never thought about it that way but it makes perfect sense. If he doesn't help clear out the opposing team can sustain pressure in the zone which would lead to more shots...good point. I would be interesting in seeing the numbers but I think there would be other factors involved that would make the shots per game increase at about the same time the trapezoid was introduced.

Correlation between the institution of the trapezoid and amount of shots against??? I never thought about it that way but it makes perfect sense. If he doesn't help clear out the opposing team can sustain pressure in the zone which would lead to more shots...good point. I would be interesting in seeing the numbers but I think there would be other factors involved that would make the shots per game increase at about the same time the trapezoid was introduced.

Yeah, there are too many variables to figure out exactly how much the trapezoid has impacted the number of shots he's facing, but it has to have had some effect.

Guilty as charged. In fact that's the best thing about the Trapezoid rule. It will forever be tied to Brodeur and will force his puckhandling to be mentioned whenever debating Brodeur's career and his relative standing among the greatest of all time.

They'll probably get rid of it the day after he retires.

• Like 1

The fact that Marty has 3 assists in the playoffs which is more points than Larsson, Fayne, Greene, Volchenkov and Sestito and is tied with Bernier and Carter makes me smile.

He also won his bet with Cam that he wold finnish the regular season with more points as well.