Check out what the Devils front office just sent me along with my play

Satans Hockey

But why should they make him jump through hoops to keep his account? And why even have this inane policy in the first place? I don't know of any other pro sports team that penalizes its sth's for selling online, I'm sure there are some but this ain't exactly the market/fanbase you do it in.

get used to it because unfortunately for the average fan it's coming- the Yankees are starting this season by not accepting printed tickets at the stadium gate, only the actual hard original ticket will get you into the game. This is 100% to force sellers to buy directly from the team or through the team sponsored ticket exchange.

Because $$$$.  The Devils want more of it.

I don't agree with what they're doing, but it's pretty clear why.

This is where the phrase penny-wise and pound foolish applies.

Sure they might get a few more bucks on the secondary market in the short term but they'll wind up losing/alienating far more sth's in the process - that's a ton of lost revenue in ticket sales, concessions, parking - and this isn't exactly Minnesota or Vancouver where you can **** off thousands of people and have thousands more waiting to buy tickets...

Edited by NJDevs4978

get used to it because unfortunately for the average fan it's coming- the Yankees are starting this season by not accepting printed tickets at the stadium gate, only the actual hard original ticket will get you into the game. This is 100% to force sellers to buy directly from the team or through the team sponsored ticket exchange.

Yeah god forbid these a$$holes have any competition.

And disabling barcodes next season? So they're penalizing people for selling on their own secondary market?! That's rich. Or are they just doing it for StubHub sales (more likely)?

Stubhub is the number one enemy to a lot of venues.  It's actually funny.  The Yankees a few years ago was actually promoting SH during their games.  Just a couple of years later, they ended up suing SH and pretty much blacklisted them.  

It would be akin to going to Home Depot, buying 20 drills for $100 each, and then selling them in your own store for $150.  As a former employee of HD, I know for a fact that we've caught and stopped people from doing this.

Yeah uh, stupid question but how would they know if you're not the one using the tickets?

Do the Devils get a cut of the sales through that NHL Ticket Exchange?  Because if they do, I can see why they're trying to force StubHub out of the equation.

Yes the team does get a cut off all TE sales.  Actually I think the league as a whole does.

I have been traveling a lot this year and have sold a bunch of games.. getting that letter would really pvss me off. They are your tickets to do as you please. This is outrageous.

I don't believe it's that simple.  Otherwise, why would this be such an issue?

It's unfortunate this is what businesses have to stoop to- I'm sure all of these owners are free market proponents when the government tries to limit their opportunities, but when it's a fan just trying to get in the door to support a team that he bleeds red for, all of a sudden we need to regulate the market to maximize profit.

If a lot of tickets are being re-sold on stubhub the only thing the organization should take away is that their tickets are overpriced. Bring your price down to what the market demands and you won't have this problem.

I agree prices are too high.

They won't sell lowers for in the $30's and uppers for $10-$15 for midweek games vs sh!t opponents

That is what the MARKET commands

That guy Eric is a complete tool, and this is his initiative

The sooner the team gets rid of this asshat, the better

Yesterday wouldn't have been soon enough

A lot of STH's love Eric.  He's willing to give you deals if you speak to him enough.

I was labeled as broker last season during the lockout. The new schedule didn't work for me and I had to sell the majority of games but I wanted to keep my seats because I love them and the people around me.

They probably just didn't take me off the list for this year.

I luckily made it to 15 games last year out of my 24.  I hope they understand with the way the schedule was last year that it was very difficult for people to make it to every game.

Doesn't matter because what they are doing is wrong.

That is debatable.  They imo have a very valid reason for doing this.

But why should they make him jump through hoops to keep his account?  And why even have this inane policy in the first place?  I don't know of any other pro sports team that penalizes its sth's for selling online, I'm sure there are some but this ain't exactly the market/fanbase you do it in.

I guarantee you that just about every sports franchise has a similar policy in place.

Because $$$$.  The Devils want more of it.

I don't agree with what they're doing, but it's pretty clear why.

I can't blame them for doing it either.

That is debatable.  They imo have a very valid reason for doing this.

I guarantee you that just about every sports franchise has a similar policy in place.

I can't blame them for doing it either.

The Rangers don't do this, neither do the Knicks, Jets, Giants, Mets, Nets. The Yankees are ignorant about their pricing and that's why less and less people are showing up there as well.

Ok, name them. 

It's getting to the point where it wouldn't shock me if the Devils started checking ID at the door to make sure it's you using your tickets.

Don't joke about that as I really do see that coming.

Already the Devils is the only arena/stadium I have been to in the last few years where the guards grope and wand you before going it.  It's like being at the friggin airport.

Don't joke about that as I really do see that coming.

Already the Devils is the only arena/stadium I have been to in the last few years where the guards grope and wand you before going it.  It's like being at the friggin airport.

Who said I was kidding?  They're basically two steps short of that now with the time and resources they spend tracking the secondary market to see who sells what ticket.

I hate so damn much how non-hockey operations are run with this organization. Its gotten far worse under new ownership, too. This proves the front office doesnt know this market or this fan base whatsoever. Its clear theyre simply all about the $, and nothing else. 

Edited by devlman

I hate so damn much how non-hockey operations are run with this organization. Its gotten far worse under new ownership, too. This proves the front office doesnt know this market or this fan base whatsoever. Its clear theyre simply all about the $, and nothing else. 

YES

We have been one of the worst franchises in ALL OF PROFESSIONAL SPORTS in terms of off-ice/off-field operations

It seems as though we are getting worse than we already were.  I didn't think it was possible....

Ok, name them. 

I would love to see this as well...still waiting

This is where the phrase penny-wise and pound foolish applies.

Sure they might get a few more bucks on the secondary market in the short term but they'll wind up losing/alienating far more sth's in the process - that's a ton of lost revenue in ticket sales, concessions, parking - and this isn't exactly Minnesota or Vancouver where you can **** off thousands of people and have thousands more waiting to buy tickets...

They will learn the hard way

I can see a 20% drop or so in ST Renewals for sure....

If I was a STH, I would call and rip the Devils a new one, whether this applied to me or not. Its the principal, and its a horsesh!t policy.

Left a voicemail with my rep who is in the office today as soon as I got this thing. Still waiting for that phone call back. I'm sure I'll get a phone call tomorrow but it always amazes me that I can rarely every speak to someone from the Devils on the day I actually call.

Pretty soon sports teams are going to follow the model of some bands & their concerts.  My step-daughter went to the Paramore concert, and she needed to have the credit card used for purchase to get into the show. 

I get why sports teams don't want brokers making money off of their product.  But in the cases mentioned earlier in the thread, it's needlessly punishing the STH who want to go to 33-35 games & need to sell 6-8 games due to other commitments. 

Left a voicemail with my rep who is in the office today as soon as I got this thing. Still waiting for that phone call back. I'm sure I'll get a phone call tomorrow but it always amazes me that I can rarely every speak to someone from the Devils on the day I actually call.

If you were calling about adding seats to your account, I'm sure that rep would get right back to you... For something like this, he probably needs to hone his spin first.

:lol: ....never ceases to amaze me.....just wait people.....PSL's will come to other leagues just like it is in football....its sad but pro sports are NOT about the fans....haven't been for a long time....the more I hear this stuff the more glad I am that I've focused on spending my money PLAYING hockey over watching it......

If you were calling about adding seats to your account, I'm sure that rep would get right back to you... For something like this, he probably needs to hone his spin first.

Oh if you were calling about spending more money with them the guy would be dialing so fast he wouldn't be typing in the numbers right and would have to take a 1-min breather to make sure he can type it in.

Ok, name them.

You could argue the Yankees did something similar in restricting the secondary market.

I suppose that ultimately if they want to get rid of the pure ticket brokers, there's a way to do it without being so ham handed about things. Although I still don't understand why it matters to the team. The brokers by the tix at regular season ticket holder prices, and it's not like there's a waiting list for Devils season tix, or that they're gauging the regular fan that wants to see a game.

The whole marketing plan of new ownership doesn't quite make sense to me, but I suppose we'll see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apparently someone else on HF got the letter and they only sold nine games. So not only are they being heavy-handed they're not even doing it right.

When have the devils business side not approached things by doing it ass-backwards?

They should be lowering their own prices instead of treating their fans like micro-competitors. If their pricing model wasn't so broken we wouldn't have this issue.