Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

you really can't go into Philly with POS pitchers like Hefner and Gee and expect to win. At home...maybe. But on the road they'll get killed

Gee should hopefully be a solid 4/5 as his career progresses, provided he can stay healthy.  He had a nice stretch of effectiveness last season before he got hurt.  Just remember that Gee isn't projected to be a top-of-the-rotation guy.

Unfortunately, when you're rebuilding, you have to deal with stopgap chum like Hefner for a season or two.  I don't let him bother me too much, because he's not going to be here when the Mets are ready to contend, and I'd rather have a young, cheap, no-talent guy like Hefner than a bad contract, past-his-prime guy who will turn in roughly the same performance.

When the Braves were rebuilding way back in the day, they had a guy named Marty Clary in their rotation, who clearly didn't figure into the Braves' long-term plans...just like Hefner, he was a young, cheap stopgap, until the real guns were ready to go.  It means we're stuck watching a guy we know isn't any good, but it's only temporary.  Hopefully in a couple of years, as the Mets are contending and Harvey, Wheeler, and Niese are doing their thing, we're barely remember the Hefners.

Gee should hopefully be a solid 4/5 as his career progresses, provided he can stay healthy.  He had a nice stretch of effectiveness last season before he got hurt.  Just remember that Gee isn't projected to be a top-of-the-rotation guy.

Unfortunately, when you're rebuilding, you have to deal with stopgap chum like Hefner for a season or two.  I don't let him bother me too much, because he's not going to be here when the Mets are ready to contend, and I'd rather have a young, cheap, no-talent guy like Hefner than a bad contract, past-his-prime guy who will turn in roughly the same performance.

When the Braves were rebuilding way back in the day, they had a guy named Marty Clary in their rotation, who clearly didn't figure into the Braves' long-term plans...just like Hefner, he was a young, cheap stopgap, until the real guns were ready to go.  It means we're stuck watching a guy we know isn't any good, but it's only temporary.  Hopefully in a couple of years, as the Mets are contending and Harvey, Wheeler, and Niese are doing their thing, we're barely remember the Hefners.

you're right, though I suppose some of my anger had to do with losing 2 in philly right after Harvey confidently mowed those chumps down. And then we're forced to watch Gee and Hefner just be noncompetitive...if these games were in San Fran or Pitt I doubt I'd care as much.

you're right, though I suppose some of my anger had to do with losing 2 in philly right after Harvey confidently mowed those chumps down. And then we're forced to watch Gee and Hefner just be noncompetitive...if these games were in San Fran or Pitt I doubt I'd care as much.

If Gee struggles long term, I'd be concerned, because I think the Mets are hopeful with him.  Hefner...whatever.  It does suck, in that the Mets are basically punting away games Hefner starts, but the Mets punted on this season a while ago.  2013 is preparation for the guys who are going to be here in 2014 and beyond.  The Hefner-types will be filtered out by 2015. 

Looks like another bullpen game with TC pulling Hefner after just 3 innings, oof. Rain delay happening right now though.

Only 68 pitches...might as well have him stay for 40 more and lose this game 15-3. I don't like that Edgin was burned again...the Mets really had no chance after the 1st inning. 

But nice to see Duda hit a few home runs, and Buck stays hot. One thing this team has had no issue with is hitting the longball. And all this without Wright going deep once and with Ike in his early season slump. I think Duda will hit 20 this year.

As for the Murphy blunder. I've actually accepted that these kind of brain farts are ingrained within the franchise and we'll just have to live with them. I don't remember this happening as much under Valentine or Howe for that matter (even though we were also bad under Howe) but it's alarming that this epidemic has lasted past the Minaya/Bernazard era

So what's with all of this Wheeler and D'Arnaud for Giancarlo talk I'm seeing on Facebook? I mean I know it's just rampant speculation, or people trying to spark conversations, but apparently it originated in a Daily News article.

It's just all BS, as far as rumors go. Basically just some Met executive that said he'd move those two for Stanton and it got blown way out of proportion. Edited by nmigliore

Not even an exec with any power lol.  But hey it's not as if it's unprecedented for us to pick the Marlins' bones (Piazza, Leiter, Delgado, etc).

ha, pickens are kind of slim now...but I wouldn't mind Wade Leblanc

John Maine just resurfaced in Miami

Target Field is beautiful (still prefer Citi over it) but come on...why build open air in Minnesota. They lucked out the first couple of seasons, but snow and 30-40 degree nights early season is not unusual out there

Yeah the weather is going to be brutal this weekend. There's even supposed to be some light snow at first pitch!

I'm hoping TC doesn't do silly things with the lineup tonight; there's really no reason the DH should be anybody but Duda, and hopefully Baxter is the beneficiary of that extra lineup spot.

Edited by nmigliore

Another error for Ruben in the 5th...he's really got to straighten this out.

Impressed with the amount of runs the Mets have scored this year. They may lead the NL at the end of the night. Only 10 games but I expected this team to be bottom 4 in the NL in runs scored. Maybe they have more punch than I thought

Nice to see the 6th inning-on go peacefully; got a little worried in the 5th when they made it 10-5. Anyway, huge games from the top 3 in the lineup:

Valdespin: 2-for-5, 1 BB

Murphy: 4-for-5

Wright: 3-for-5, 1 BB

I'd keep the lineup exactly the same for tomorrow - Diamond is a lefty but he actually has a reverse platoon split for his career. Unfortunately it's a stone cold lock Turner will DH (LOL), which means Duda will play the field (bigger LOL?). Yuck.

Edited by nmigliore