New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this shows that Lou should walk away. Clearly the market has decided Kovy isn't worth it. And the KHL was definitely a bluff or he would have signed there.

kovy should sign a 3 yr maybe 18 mil dollar contract.....see what way we are heading maybe lock him and parise up long term when we have cap cuz im sure lagenrbunner brodeur and rolston will all be off the books by then

kovie passed on an unproven team with him being the only star to come to jersey, he won't go to the same system with less money than atlanta to repeat. he just struggles with taking a pay cut to stay in jersey but at the end he will realize we have parise and brodeur and a good new set of defense to take him to the cup. kings are a gamble.

He's looking for a max deal, or something big enough that he doesn't look like an ass for turning down what Atlanta supposedly was.

I'm not sure taking a lot less money as an FA would make him look like an ass for rejecting Atlanta. I think it's perfectly understandable why a hockey player would reject Atlanta for any amount of money. I'm sure Kovalchuk wants a lot of money, but it doesn't look to be in the cards this year, so with any luck he'll stay in NJ for a reasonably high amount of money.

I think this shows that Lou should walk away. Clearly the market has decided Kovy isn't worth it. And the KHL was definitely a bluff or he would have signed there.

I really wanted the Devils to sign Kovalchuk. Yeah he is a left wing and the money can be spent elsewhere, but he has ridiculous talent and he is a draw. I just feel his being here helps the team so much off the ice and that is really important. He also seemed to be, at least from his quotes, very committed to playing for a winner and not all about the money. Until today...

People say not to make much of Lou's comments but as mentioned a few posts back, his tone on pretty much everything he talked about yesterday has changed. Maybe it's nothing but he comes off as pissed off and fed up imo.

We know for sure the Devils want him and it's almost certain they're giving him the max that they can. I'd say that would be between 7 - 7.5 per year after some moves are made. We know the kings can offer more to a certain extent but the Devils have also made moves that not only help the team to be better but also make the team more inviting for him to stay. So why hasn't he signed?

If he wanted to be here a fair deal would have already been in place I think. Obviously it's all speculation but I gotta admit, Kovalchuk isn't doing much for his reputation as far as not being in it for the money. Sure he could go to the KHL but that would be extreme last resort, or more likely a bluff like you mentioned. And it speaks volumes that not only have the Devils made no progress but also the Kings as well. Not one team has offered anything adequate to him yet?

Edited by Sickman

Ehh call me stupid, but I'm not casting judgement on Kovy until he (or his agent) publicly states that he's holding out for more money.

I mean, if it were me, I'd be in absolutely NO rush to make a decision. I'd take EVERYTHING into consideration..the hockey side of things, and, obviously, the rest of his life. It'd take me an eternity to decide.

Hell, it took me months to decide where to go to college...I can only imagine kovi feels pretty damn overwhelmed.

I'm not going to assume he and his agent are sitting there, not budging from the 10/10 contract until it's declared to be that way.

Ehh call me stupid, but I'm not casting judgement on Kovy until he (or his agent) publicly states that he's holding out for more money.

I mean, if it were me, I'd be in absolutely NO rush to make a decision. I'd take EVERYTHING into consideration..the hockey side of things, and, obviously, the rest of his life. It'd take me an eternity to decide.

Hell, it took me months to decide where to go to college...I can only imagine kovi feels pretty damn overwhelmed.

I'm not going to assume he and his agent are sitting there, not budging from the 10/10 contract until it's declared to be that way.

He's had plenty of time this offseason to assess places to live, he had plenty of time yesterday to sort through the money value of the offers. If this isn't about money I have no idea what he's waiting for. Maybe he's not looking for what he got offered from Atlanta but he's certainly expecting something close to that and is stunned that the best offer is nowhere near that number.

Perhaps in the end he will go to the place where he has a chance to win, I mean who's to say if the offers aren't close he won't lean that way but he could wind up being a flake and taking Russian money or some team doesn't do as well in FA as they hoped for and panics.

I do think people are reading too much into Lou's quotes though. If Lou thought Kovy was going to jump to sign a deal half as much as what he got offered then he's just as delusional as Kovy and his agent thinking there'd be a mega-bidding war.

He's had plenty of time this offseason to assess places to live, he had plenty of time yesterday to sort through the money value of the offers. If this isn't about money I have no idea what he's waiting for. Maybe he's not looking for what he got offered from Atlanta but he's certainly expecting something close to that and is stunned that the best offer is nowhere near that number.

Perhaps in the end he will go to the place where he has a chance to win, I mean who's to say if the offers aren't close he won't lean that way but he could wind up being a flake and taking Russian money or some team doesn't do as well in FA as they hoped for and panics.

I do think people are reading too much into Lou's quotes though. If Lou thought Kovy was going to jump to sign a deal half as much as what he got offered then he's just as delusional as Kovy and his agent thinking there'd be a mega-bidding war.

The guy still has a family to think about too. If it were just him who would be affected by a move, then I would say no big deal. He just made a big move from Atlanta...people are finally settled in and now you are faced with a move across the country to LA. That's not they type of decision you make in a few weeks. I don't blame him for taking his time. The team he goes to is more than likely the one he sticks with for the rest of his career.

If we can somehow shed some salary and sign Kovy I'm all up for it. The only thing is we better not screw ourselves with Parise and Greene next year. They'll get raises which could come from Arnott's salary I guess and other places. I'll say Kovy is worth about $7-7.5 million and would like to sign him for 7 million. I would love to somehow trade Rolston but his NTC is an obstacle and his contract is another. I don't see a team willing to take it and don't see Lou getting Rollie to have his NTC. I would still like to keep Zubrus though. He is flexible and no matter what people say he does enough that warrants his contract. He can play RW on the 1st or 2nd line or he can center the 3rd line. Either scenario works. I wouldn't care if Langs or White get moved but their NTCs are a problem and Salvador is also moveable IMO.

I mean, he was right... Kopitar, Brown, and Doughty are all big talent players. The Kings are gonna be a good team next year, with or without Kovy.

They are very big talent players, but the poster was incorrect when saying that they are in the same class as Parise.

Edited by devlman

Good, he can be Yashin 2.0 there :P

k i know everything with their cap floor, blah blah....can they offer him more then the kings, devils KHL?

Well yeah they are still a few million under the floor meaning they have plenty of cap space, but how much money they can actually afford to put into the team (since Wang supposedly loses millions every year in the dump) is debateable. This is the same organization that gave Yashin $90 million to make a splash though.

Edited by Hasan4978

GM Snow confirms they are after Kovie, ahahahhahahahahhahahahahaha. Isles BHAHAHAHAHHAHAH

That makes no sense. It would be like asking Kovy if he'd prefer the islander shade of poo over the thrasher shade.

Snow, you're just another shade of poo you knucklehead.

Dreger posted that a source says it's a $100 million deal for 10 years. man if that is true so long Kovalchuk. I don't care how much you say you want to win, that offer probably blows everything else out of the water.

Edited by Sickman