is torts fired?

ZeroGravityFat

Crazy things sometimes happen...but not THIS crazy.  No way Torts is canned (though he could be by tomorrow morning if the Rangers get swept tonight).  It would be funny if he did get fired and Sather said "The man took a sh!t on my desk.  I had no choice."  Thanks sundstrom for a both funny AND most disturbing image...

Crazy things sometimes happen...but not THIS crazy.  No way Torts is canned (though he could be by tomorrow morning if the Rangers get swept tonight).  It would be funny if he did get fired and Sather said "The man took a sh!t on my desk.  I had no choice."  Thanks sundstrom for a both funny AND most disturbing image...

shit.jpg

He also could have walked out after the meeting to get lunch....

I think it's proven that his system is not working for this team that was ahem... "Built for the playoffs". Barely squeaking by Ottawa and Washington twice doesn't say much, especially with how the Devils and Boston used depth to really take it to them.

He also could have walked out after the meeting to get lunch....

I think it's proven that his system is not working for this team that was ahem... "Built for the playoffs". Barely squeaking by Ottawa and Washington twice doesn't say much, especially with how the Devils and Boston used depth to really take it to them.

Same way the Devils those years where they rode Brodeur to a #2 seed were bounced early. Because when you rely too much on your goalie and play 110 percent in the regular season to win you have no where else to go in the playoffs when everyone else steps up their game

guys an ass anyway.. once he gets canned gota wonder where he'll end up

He's taken one team to a Cup win and another to a Conference Final.  He'll definitely get another job.  Though he seems like a guy whose act wears thin, he's had fairly long tenures as a head coach.

He's taken one team to a Cup win and another to a Conference Final.  He'll definitely get another job.  Though he seems like a guy whose act wears thin, he's had fairly long tenures as a head coach.

I feel the same way. He's like a Mike Keenan. It works for a while, and then the players just learn to tune out the yelling and jumping and screaming. He's the kind of guy who might as well be fired if he wins the cup, because he won't be bringing a second. Obviously though, if you run a team and you think he could put you over to being a cup team, you take the risk.

I said in another thread and I'll say it here, I'm worried the Rangers would get Lindy Ruff. If you look at what he did with Buffalo in the late 90's and again in that 2006-2007 range, he had hard working teams with strong goaltending. I worry what he could do with a few tweaks to the Rags.

I feel the same way. He's like a Mike Keenan. It works for a while, and then the players just learn to tune out the yelling and jumping and screaming. He's the kind of guy who might as well be fired if he wins the cup, because he won't be bringing a second. Obviously though, if you run a team and you think he could put you over to being a cup team, you take the risk.

I said in another thread and I'll say it here, I'm worried the Rangers would get Lindy Ruff. If you look at what he did with Buffalo in the late 90's and again in that 2006-2007 range, he had hard working teams with strong goaltending. I worry what he could do with a few tweaks to the Rags.

I think Lindy Ruff with the Rangers would be a total mismatch of personalities (say, Rudy Tomjonavich to the Lakers).  Lindy's spent most of his life playing and coaching one small-market team, I can't see him going to a big market with all the media in the world and being successful.  I'm more worried about him going to Minnesota than NY really lol.

Torts gets probably at least one more head coaching gig, maybe two.  He's an easy guy to dislike if he's not your team's coach, but the guy does get some results...like you say, enough that a team that thinks it's missing something might think he's the answer.

4978:  Ruff has played for the Rangers, so MSG isn't entirely unfamiliar territory to him.  I wouldn't rule it out.

I think Lindy Ruff with the Rangers would be a total mismatch of personalities (say, Rudy Tomjonavich to the Lakers).  Lindy's spent most of his life playing and coaching one small-market team, I can't see him going to a big market with all the media in the world and being successful.  I'm more worried about him going to Minnesota than NY really lol.

The media may be an issue, and it may not. But that team fits Ruff very well. We can always hope that Dolan has a say, and gives Torts some Isiah Thomas-like chances to bury himself.

I know it's sacrilege, but as a hockey person I actually like Torts as a coach.

I think Torts has done a very good job in his tenure with the Rags.   Sather killed the team early the year, with the Nash deal, trading Rupp, not signing Prust.  Sather redeemed some with the Gaborik deal, but Tort's doesn't have a lot of talent or depth, but they are in second round (for now).

Richards is done in New York, and they will be a better team with Torts at the helm.