108 replies to this topic

#61 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

I may be wrong but if the Devils go bankrupt I believe there is a provision to break the lease and re-write it with Vanderbeek or the NHL or the new Owner.

Such a lease provision would be unenforceable.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#62 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

JVB is a HUCKSTER! I can't wait to see how this drama filled soap opera plays out over the next few months....

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#63 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:13 AM

i can give a dollar

#64 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

Chris Botta ‏@ChrisBottaNHL

NJ Devils lenders could force team to bankruptcy tomorrow, but will likely wait until CBA is resolved. Details at @SBJSBD

believe-zubrus.jpg

#65 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:36 AM

Why would the CBA effect this? It's not like the Devils will get a substantial amount more from revenue sharing
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#66 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,428 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

Why would the CBA effect this? It's not like the Devils will get a substantial amount more from revenue sharing

The Devils have no chance of ever getting anything from a revenue sharing provision in the CBA unless something about the team changes drastically. They are a mid to high revenue team.

My guess is that they want someone who's solvent to take over the team and pay off the debts - as I understand it, once bankruptcy is declared, that jeopardizes the amount of money the lenders can expect to get back. But unfortunately I don't subscribe to Sports Business Daily.

Edited by Triumph, 13 August 2012 - 09:44 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#67 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:52 AM

Chris Botta ‏@ChrisBottaNHL

NJ Devils lenders could force team to bankruptcy tomorrow, but will likely wait until CBA is resolved. Details at @SBJSBD

If they are going to force the team into bankruptcy, I don't see any point in waiting until the CBA is resolved to do it from the banks point of view. They might give JVB another extension, but if he hasn't come up with the money by now, he's likely not going to be able to do so. I like him, and he clearly has a passion for the team, but it's time for him to go and putting the team into bankruptcy might be the best thing possible for the long term financial stability of the organization. The lease with the City of Newark will not broken as a result of the bankruptcy and the team will continue to play in the arena (essentially) rent free for the next 25 years. Eliminating and/or restructuring the debt load with a new owner in place is probably needed at this juncture.
Posted Image

#68 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:50 AM

Per "Debtwire", which I can't link to unfortunately, the rumor is that Vanderbeek is trying to get a two-year extension on the maturity of the $80 million that's past due, in exchange for giving the lenders a "coupon bump", a term that I'm unfamiliar with, but which I assume means higher priority.
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#69 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:06 AM

Per "Debtwire", which I can't link to unfortunately, the rumor is that Vanderbeek is trying to get a two-year extension on the maturity of the $80 million that's past due, in exchange for giving the lenders a "coupon bump", a term that I'm unfamiliar with, but which I assume means higher priority.

Jesus, why is Vanderbeek delaying the inevitable? What does he honestly gain from all this?

#70 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,428 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

Jesus, why is Vanderbeek delaying the inevitable? What does he honestly gain from all this?

The illusion that he is a man capable of affording to own an NHL franchise? I mean, if I were him I'd probably do the same thing - he quit his day job. What's he going to have if he's forced out as owner?

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#71 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

The illusion that he is a man capable of affording to own an NHL franchise? I mean, if I were him I'd probably do the same thing - he quit his day job. What's he going to have if he's forced out as owner?

I know the Devils are in the top half of revenue, but isn't JVB still losing a **** ton trying to scrape together money to pay back the creditors? I feel like this is all counterproductive for him

#72 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

How old is Vanderbeek? Cant find anything on google.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#73 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,593 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:29 PM

How old is Vanderbeek? Cant find anything on google.

He was 46/47 when he bought the team so he's probably around 51/52.
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#74 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

He was 46/47 when he bought the team so he's probably around 51/52.

Cool thanks, I was just curious :cheers:

Edited by Zubie#8, 13 August 2012 - 01:00 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#75 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

In simple terms, it's basically just an interest payment. (It's really a scheduled periodic interest payment made prior to a bond's maturity).
So he's just offering to pay more of an interest rate to buy more time to make the payment. Aka: pushing these events on for another two years.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#76 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

I know the Devils are in the top half of revenue, but isn't JVB still losing a **** ton trying to scrape together money to pay back the creditors? I feel like this is all counterproductive for him

He must feel that he can make the business model work. With a sweet deal with Newark and an increasing Season Ticket base, he may see a profitable franchise in the near-future.

I mean, i can feel for him because the debt he is struggling with is mostly from the arena. We needed a brand new one and he was a key figure in making it happen. After all the work in constructing it, rebuilding the marketing dept, etc.. I'm sure he wants to be around to see the fruits of his labor start paying dividends.

Edited by devlman, 13 August 2012 - 03:01 PM.

#77 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,940 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:12 PM

He must feel that he can make the business model work. With a sweet deal with Newark and an increasing Season Ticket base, he may see a profitable franchise in the near-future.

I mean, i can feel for him because the debt he is struggling with is mostly from the arena. We needed a brand new one and he was a key figure in making it happen. After all the work in constructing it, rebuilding the marketing dept, etc.. I'm sure he wants to be around to see the fruits of his labor start paying dividends.

It's more than business for him, the guy's a legit Devils fan. If one of us owned the team, you can bet we'd be doing everything including begging (which is basically what JVB is doing now) to try to help us hang on to it. Most of these owners buy teams for reasons other than it's a good business anyway.

I'm at the point where I just want this to end, whether this means JVB gets flushed or not, preferably flushed if the best he can get is a stay of execution anyway. I do feel for him though.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#78 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

It's more than business for him, the guy's a legit Devils fan. If one of us owned the team, you can bet we'd be doing everything including begging (which is basically what JVB is doing now) to try to help us hang on to it. Most of these owners buy teams for reasons other than it's a good business anyway.

I'm at the point where I just want this to end, whether this means JVB gets flushed or not, preferably flushed if the best he can get is a stay of execution anyway. I do feel for him though.

If it were me, I would realize that holding onto the team would not be in the best interests of the team or the fans. To the extent I could control it, I would sell to someone who is committed to keeping the team in New Jersey and keeping the team competitive from a spending standpoint.
Posted Image

#79 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

If the Devils have to declare bankruptcy, we all know the only acceptable method is for JVB to do this:

#80 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

In simple terms, it's basically just an interest payment. (It's really a scheduled periodic interest payment made prior to a bond's maturity).
So he's just offering to pay more of an interest rate to buy more time to make the payment. Aka: pushing these events on for another two years.

i would gladly pay you two hamburgers on friday, for one hamburger today!

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users