Food around the Rock

Reverend_Hellh0und

I've had the Korean hot dog with BBQ beef. The hot dog itself is just a plain Nathan's-type hot dog, but the BBQ beef piled on was delicious -- very tasty. It's a little expensive, but since it was so good I was happy with it.

They also make a spicy chicken hot dog, but I haven't tried it yet.

Edited by 95Crash

I've had the Korean hot dog with BBQ beef. The hot dog itself is just a plain Nathan's-type hot dog, but the BBQ beef piled on was delicious -- very tasty. It's a little expensive, but since it was so good I was happy with it.

They also make a spicy chicken hot dog, but I haven't tried it yet.

Yup I agree with this review!

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any chance with new money coming in the quality of concessions come back? Ive actually felt compelled to gorge and drink BEFORE getting to the arena because of the blandless more than the price.

I remember hearing from the meet and greet at the beginning of the season that the new owners do want to increase the quality of the food as they admitted it wasn't really up to par. They seemed to blame Jeff's ownership situation on it and said they couldn't really do much this season except a few last minute minor improvements. Those have taken the form of boneyard BBQ, the Korean stands and all you can eat popcorn. They did vow to improve it next year as they will have more time to get the good stuff going

I remember hearing from the meet and greet at the beginning of the season that the new owners do want to increase the quality of the food as they admitted it wasn't really up to par. They seemed to blame Jeff's ownership situation on it and said they couldn't really do much this season except a few last minute minor improvements. Those have taken the form of boneyard BBQ, the Korean stands and all you can eat popcorn. They did vow to improve it next year as they will have more time to get the good stuff going

Not sure if the location moved or if they got rid of it, but boneyard BBQ was nowhere to be found at the game on monday, any ideas?

Not sure if the location moved or if they got rid of it, but boneyard BBQ was nowhere to be found at the game on monday, any ideas?

Good question and I didn't see it either.  It looks like they finished turning at least one of the Boardwalk stands into a Philly Cheese Steak stand.  Maybe the concept didn't work out for them?

I remember when they had a Moe's stand back in the 11-12 season, but that only lasted a few games.  I guess pre-made chicken and steak burritos were not everyone's thing.

I also wish they would turn the old Devil's alley into something more substantial.  When it was the "Devils Alley Pub," it was just a facy stand that served more alcohol options like wine and wasn't really much.  I wish they would turn it into more of a bar with bar tables and the like as that space is now just nothing more than a shortcut around the busy part of the upper concourse.

Good question and I didn't see it either.  It looks like they finished turning at least one of the Boardwalk stands into a Philly Cheese Steak stand.  Maybe the concept didn't work out for them?

I remember when they had a Moe's stand back in the 11-12 season, but that only lasted a few games.  I guess pre-made chicken and steak burritos were not everyone's thing.

I also wish they would turn the old Devil's alley into something more substantial.  When it was the "Devils Alley Pub," it was just a facy stand that served more alcohol options like wine and wasn't really much.  I wish they would turn it into more of a bar with bar tables and the like as that space is now just nothing more than a shortcut around the busy part of the upper concourse.

Also, they got rid of the pretzel stand that was next to boneyard BBQ. It used to have about 3-4 varieties, but it looks like the new one just has regular soft pretzels....

Also, they got rid of the pretzel stand that was next to boneyard BBQ. It used to have about 3-4 varieties, but it looks like the new one just has regular soft pretzels....

I thought I saw the pretzel stand on the lower concourse but I'll have to keep my eyes open. I highly recommend the Shorty's cheesesteak that recently opened.

I thought I saw the pretzel stand on the lower concourse but I'll have to keep my eyes open. I highly recommend the Shorty's cheesesteak that recently opened.

They did put a different pretzel stand there, but it has less choices......although, the b!tchy lady that worked the old one is no longer there :)

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed a banner hanging over a building about three doors down from Dinosaur BBQ on Market St. last night for this place coming soon.

http://mercatotomatopie.com/

I saw an article for that a month or so ago on nj.com I believe. It's supposed to open by the time next season starts.

Always good to see more options open by the arena.

Anyone know if Uber Burger is opening again?

Looks doubtful that it ever will. However I heard a month or so ago that they were trying to find a new owner or another better burger chain to open up there being that they already have the equipment but so far no takers.

Has anyone been to The Monk Room?

I posted this before the last home game, but this seems like a good spot too:

@themonkroom

Headed to the #NJDevils game tonight? Come in wearing your jersey during pre-game and get 2 beers for $5. Choose from any of our 12 on tap!

We'll be doing it for the month of March before every home game!

Pizza and I get 2 Stone IPAs for $5. That's all I need to hear. And this place looks pretty cool. I hope we can get a crowd there Saturday. It's always more fun in a bar full of red.

Haven't been there yet but I've been to their sister location Porta in Asbury Park and it's AMAZING. These guys know what they're doing. 

Has anyone been to The Monk Room?
I posted this before the last home game, but this seems like a good spot too:
Pizza and I get 2 Stone IPAs for $5. That's all I need to hear. And this place looks pretty cool. I hope we can get a crowd there Saturday. It's always more fun in a bar full of red.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Burg is set to open soon-ish:

http://www.nj.com/food/index.ssf/2015/10/post_6.html

For months now, the chatter in Newark's Military Park has been: When is Burg opening. Very soon, apparently. Burg's Facebook page includes plenty of teasers of what's to come, including fried pickles, double decker grilled cheese, coffee float with maple bourbon ice cream, and of course, plenty of burgers. The exact opening date has yet to be announced, but once the front doors finally swing open, the place is expected to become the talk of Downtown Newark. Chris Siversen and Marc Haskell — the team behind Burg — know a little something about grand arrivals from when they opened Jersey City hot spot Maritime Parc. The newer venture was originally targeted for a summer debut.

Also to note:
- They'll have 8 rotating "wine taps"

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/burgnj

• 4 weeks later...