John Hynes of Pens AHL team expected to be Next coach.

RunninWithTheDevil

I mean, I have hard time doubting Lou doesn't go with one of Stevens or Oates. He would arguably burn bridges with both of them if he doesn't name at least one of them the head coach. With Stevens, I don't think he'd want to stick around as an assistant without the possibility of being the HC at some point. I hope neither of them return, and honestly, I'm ready for Lou to move on as well but moreso because of age. 

But who knows where things lead. Will Babcock want to go to Pit perhaps? 

If the Devils get McDavid somehow/someway, could Babcock be covinced to come here?

I'd like to see McLellan here, but I'm not holding the breath given the amount of teams that'll have openings. 

Don't want Byslma or Renney.  Not sure how I feel about Tippet.  Stevens I don't think I'd mind, but I'm not sure how well he'd do with complete control all on his own finally.  And yeah, Babcock isn't happening.  

I have a feel Lou will go off the board and pick someone under the radar.  Does he dare give an AHL coach a shot?  Look what Cooper's done in Tampa.

TG is now reporting some quotes from Lou talking about the coaching position

Lamoriello said he won't necessarily have a coach hired by the draft, but you always want to do things sooner than later.

lol i can't believe Lou actually said "you always want to do things sooner than later"... that goes against everything he ever stood for lol

I suppose the fact that neither Oates or Stevens have been named is a good sign? Seems like they want to go outside the org

Not necessarily.  With Stevens, if Lou doesn't pick him now, won't he get pissed (a la Messier) and take his marbles and go home. Or on the same token, could Stevens turn out to be MacLean 2.0 and fail?  Forcing Lou to fire perhaps (one of) the most important players in Devils history? He doesn't have that issue with Oates. 

That is my fear of hiring Stevens. I guess we'll see what happens.

I'll bet Lou would give Stevens the job in Albany to get head coaching experience. 

If Stevens walks, I don't see that as a big loss - you have to pay your dues to become an NHL head coach.  MacLean was willing to go to Lowell for a year (and probably more) to learn how to become a head coach.  If Stevens is not willing to do that, then he doesn't want to be a head coach. 

If Todd McLellan is fired or decides to leave, he could be an option. I'm sure he'll be in very high demand, and NJ probably won't be very tempting for him...

But there are some connections to some of Lou's guys:

- coached the Wild's AHL farm team for 5 years while Lemaire coached the big club

- Robinson has worked under him the past 3 years in San Jose

TG is now reporting some quotes from Lou talking about the coaching position

lol i can't believe Lou actually said "you always want to do things sooner than later"... that goes against everything he ever stood for lol

lol i just tweeted back with "what happened to always using your time"

If Stevens walks, I don't see that as a big loss - you have to pay your dues to become an NHL head coach.  MacLean was willing to go to Lowell for a year (and probably more) to learn how to become a head coach.  If Stevens is not willing to do that, then he doesn't want to be a head coach. 

How true. and if he were an assistant would he walk again if his ideas weren't accepted?

Marty would be a HORRIFIC GM.  BEYOND Horrific.

What are you imagining based on his past hockey and life experiences?  I can list off the pros and cons - but:

Basically the fatal flaw is his self indulgence.  That will ABSOLUTELY lead to poor decision making. He will NEVER get it under control. 

I just dont know Oates well enough but it's an interesting thought actually.  He seems to have a very cool head and a clear  (for my tastes)  correct vision.  He has some communication stuff to learn... and i canNOT tell what it is -- drives me absolutely insane.  Thanks for the ^&%ing muzzles Lou -- how can I help you then HMMM????

Hey --   just a quick note -- I figured out Lou's lie tell --- he stops listening.  He's committed to the lie and he stops really listening - he's for sure learned: to listen after the fact, is to open yourself up to inconsistencies in reasoning -- therefore getting caught in a lie.  Once he's committed to that lie he can no longer apply logic or reasoning without acknowledging the betrayal of trust -- and then you've you got your strawman ready built and an end to productivity :P.   Anyhow --  It's very obvious.  He's got a liar face that he makes and kind of an innocent shirking of responsibility face.  It's very annoying -- and the reason is that he's NOT listening -- you're SOL and it's infuriating.  Yeah -- I just needed to see it once and it stuck with me  - you know I'm right... I'm just right about that stuff  :uni:  :P

• Like 3

Marty would be a HORRIFIC GM.  BEYOND Horrific.

What are you imagining based on his past hockey and life experiences?  I can list off the pros and cons - but:

Basically the fatal flaw is his self indulgence.  That will ABSOLUTELY lead to poor decision making. He will NEVER get it under control. 

I recall reading that St. Louis has been pretty happy with him so far.  As I say though, I wouldn't want him to be the GM here, most of all, because it would be difficult to fire him if it turns out he isn't cut out for it.