Plan B: Now What?

smelly

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since when has Lou ever had a plan B? There will be no moves made this offseason for anybody. Did he immediately go out and get replacements for Holik, Gomez, Mogilny etc? No, never...it's not his style. Lou will make an in season trade for Parise's replacement. But make no mistake about it, Lou will soldier on with this lineup and the massive hole in it for far too long

Insanity - Drew Stafford would be an very good acquisition if we could land him. My first thought when Parise bolted was to get a player the likes of Tomas Vanek, however, his cap hit and unavailability certainly make that a pipe dream.

Since when has Lou ever had a plan B? There will be no moves made this offseason for anybody. Did he immediately go out and get replacements for Holik, Gomez, Mogilny etc? No, never...it's not his style. Lou will make an in season trade for Parise's replacement. But make no mistake about it, Lou will soldier on with this lineup and the massive hole in it for far too long

Doing nothing?

Holik left to get overpaid (thanks Glen Sather) and we had a kid named Madden who stepped up and helped us win a Stanley Cup, and a Selke trophy.

Gomez left, we got Zubrus a player who helped us battle for the Stanley Cup last season. Meanwhile, Gomez is hated by his current teams fan base because of the stupidity of his current contract (Thanks again Mr. Sather).

Mogilny signed for big bucks in Toronto for a whole 30+ games. Lou picked up a kid named Friesen who played a key role in helping us win another Stanley Cup.

It is always better to wait and evaluate what you have, rather than making a panic move.

Last year was great example of improving as the season goes on.

Doing nothing?

Holik left to get overpaid (thanks Glen Sather) and we had a kid named Madden who stepped up and helped us win a Stanley Cup, and a Selke trophy.

Gomez left, we got Zubrus a player who helped us battle for the Stanley Cup last season. Meanwhile, Gomez is hated by his current teams fan base because of the stupidity of his current contract (Thanks again Mr. Sather).

Mogilny signed for big bucks in Toronto for a whole 30+ games. Lou picked up a kid named Friesen who played a key role in helping us win another Stanley Cup.

It is always better to wait and evaluate what you have, rather than making a panic move.

Last year was great example of improving as the season goes on.

While I agree with your general thoughts, some of this is revisionist history. Zubrus was blasted left, right, and center by people on this board up until this past season, really. He was producing 50+ points playing with Ovechkin, and many figured he'd put up those numbers with New Jersey... but this past season was his highest total, at 44 points. With the style played by the Devils now, he seems much more valuable.

Madden did replace Holik, true. But when Madden left, Pelley was supposed to replace him... that didn't happen.

When Mogilny left, it was Pierre Dagenais (spelling?) that was supposed to replace him... that didn't happen.

When Niedermayer left, Malakhov and McGillis were supposed to provide blueline stability... and that move damn near screwed the franchise for years.

When Gionta left, it was expected that Niclas Bergfors would step up. He performed well for the first half of the season - and enabled Lou to swing a deal for Kovalchuk. THAT was a great plan that panned out because Kovalchuk was willing to sign long-term with New Jersey. It was iffy until then, though - would have been a lot for a rental that only helped NJ win 1 playoff game.

Overall, Lou's desperation scrambles/Plan B approaches haven't worked that well. That's why I wouldn't be shocked if he took a new approach this off-season and makes an offer to a player like Semin, but it wouldn't be for nearly as much money as Parise gets. Semin made $6.7mil last season, I'd be fine taking a risk on Semin for 1-3 years at $6mil per season.

I'd still prefer a deal to Buffalo, where they get Greene + prospect + 2nd rounder for Stafford... after they ship players and picks to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan.

We are not getting Semin, he is probably not even on our radar. Lou likes players that compete: Semin does not.

People said similar things about Kovalchuk before he came to NJ. Doesn't care about winning, only wants to score, doesn't rely on his teammates, is a puck hog, can't pass well, isn't consistent...

All I am saying is that I think Kovalchuk could get into Semin's head. Kovy truly bought in... Ovie seems like he is faking it.

People said similar things about Kovalchuk before he came to NJ. Doesn't care about winning, only wants to score, doesn't rely on his teammates, is a puck hog, can't pass well, isn't consistent...

All I am saying is that I think Kovalchuk could get into Semin's head. Kovy truly bought in... Ovie seems like he is faking it.

That's fair.

Admittedly, this is why I find him intriguing. I'm just wondering what his price will be. If it's 4-5 years at $6 - $6.5 million, I'd be tempted. Anything more in cash or term, I don't think I could do it.

While I agree with your general thoughts, some of this is revisionist history. Zubrus was blasted left, right, and center by people on this board up until this past season, really. He was producing 50+ points playing with Ovechkin, and many figured he'd put up those numbers with New Jersey... but this past season was his highest total, at 44 points. With the style played by the Devils now, he seems much more valuable.

Madden did replace Holik, true. But when Madden left, Pelley was supposed to replace him... that didn't happen.

When Mogilny left, it was Pierre Dagenais (spelling?) that was supposed to replace him... that didn't happen.

When Niedermayer left, Malakhov and McGillis were supposed to provide blueline stability... and that move damn near screwed the franchise for years.

When Gionta left, it was expected that Niclas Bergfors would step up. He performed well for the first half of the season - and enabled Lou to swing a deal for Kovalchuk. THAT was a great plan that panned out because Kovalchuk was willing to sign long-term with New Jersey. It was iffy until then, though - would have been a lot for a rental that only helped NJ win 1 playoff game.

Overall, Lou's desperation scrambles/Plan B approaches haven't worked that well. That's why I wouldn't be shocked if he took a new approach this off-season and makes an offer to a player like Semin, but it wouldn't be for nearly as much money as Parise gets. Semin made $6.7mil last season, I'd be fine taking a risk on Semin for 1-3 years at $6mil per season.

I'd still prefer a deal to Buffalo, where they get Greene + prospect + 2nd rounder for Stafford... after they ship players and picks to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan.

I think Zubrus was blasted because people here had false hopes of him replacing Gomez point for point, not recognizing that isn't that type of player, but one who is really built for Playoff hockey and puck possession.

When Pelley didn't happen as planned, we got Ryan Carter and then dealt Pelley for Foster who turned into Zidlicky.

The 3M's were a rare panic move by Lou after the blow by Nieds. I Lou's favor he DID get the best available free agents before getting into a bidding war. To me the effort was sound, the players just failed to be the players the were before the layoff.

Again, Lou is a great tinkerer who evaluates as the season goes on.

• 2 weeks later...

doan wants 4 years. I wouldn't touch him. I think we'll trade for someone cause of all the dmen we have. I say you put tedenby on the first line with zajac and kovey. Tedenby has a lot of skill and upside and we have to give him a chance. He is a skilled player that has to play with skill players what better than zajac and kovey. Than I would move henrique to the wing and turn him into a shoot first player which he can do. Put him on second line with Elias ans josefson who is a pass first center. I would love to see that or sign or sign semin to a one year deal if we can as a trial contract. But I don't think we can give up on Teddy. And I am expecting a trade with some dmen.

doan wants 4 years. I wouldn't touch him. I think we'll trade for someone cause of all the dmen we have. I say you put tedenby on the first line with zajac and kovey. Tedenby has a lot of skill and upside and we have to give him a chance. He is a skilled player that has to play with skill players what better than zajac and kovey. Than I would move henrique to the wing and turn him into a shoot first player which he can do. Put him on second line with Elias ans josefson who is a pass first center. I would love to see that or sign or sign semin to a one year deal if we can as a trial contract. But I don't think we can give up on Teddy. And I am expecting a trade with some dmen.

well that's a solid first post. I've seen way worse :P welcome aboard

Good centers are rare, I would much rather leave Henrique where he is if he remains as successful as he was last season. When it comes to young players it is imperative to not fix what isn't broken if you don't have to. I agree with you about Teddy though. I really like him and hope to god that NJ gives him another shot.

Good centers are rare, I would much rather leave Henrique where he is if he remains as successful as he was last season. When it comes to young players it is imperative to not fix what isn't broken if you don't have to. I agree with you about Teddy though. I really like him and hope to god that NJ gives him another shot.

I have a good feeling about Teddy if he gets a good chance to play and play with skilled players like zajac and kovey, I mean he was our best prospect since parise. And I know its hard to tell now but we have a prospect winger Reid boucher who I think will be really really good and I think he has a shot this year to play if not than next. He played for sarnia sting last year without yakopov and had 3 less goals than him. He is a natural goal scorer and I hope he makes the roster but I don't think hhe will this year.

I agree with you on henrique but he is a versatile player that can play both and I think he will be a 30+ goal scorer playing a shoot first style along side elias and the pass first center josefson.

I have a good feeling about Teddy if he gets a good chance to play and play with skilled players like zajac and kovey, I mean he was our best prospect since parise. And I know its hard to tell now but we have a prospect winger Reid boucher who I think will be really really good and I think he has a shot this year to play if not than next. He played for sarnia sting last year without yakopov and had 3 less goals than him. He is a natural goal scorer and I hope he makes the roster but I don't think hhe will this year.

I agree with you on henrique but he is a versatile player that can play both and I think he will be a 30+ goal scorer playing a shoot first style along side elias and the pass first center josefson.

Tedenby our best prospect since Parise!? Zajac, Fayne and Henrique say hi. I wouldn't hold your breath for Tedenby to produce. Does he have potential? Yeah. But it seems like he has a ways to go to be a full time NHLer

Larsson wants to know whassup

I said was larsson is a defensemen not foward same with fayne and henrique wasn't that highly thought of when we drafted him when we drafted tedenby they said he was our best PROSPECT since parise meaning he didn't play in the NHL yet

Tedenby our best prospect since Parise!? Zajac, Fayne and Henrique say hi. I wouldn't hold your breath for Tedenby to produce. Does he have potential? Yeah. But it seems like he has a ways to go to be a full time NHLer

HockeysFuture.com- "Tedenby is by far and away the most exciting and offensively-gifted prospect the Devils have had in the organization since Zach Parise and has the potential to turn into a Martin St. Louis type of player."

hockey9 welcome to the boards! If you don't mind me asking, any relation to Par9?

Thank you! And no I'm not

i really don't see Lou doing anything else this summer in terms of an FA... MAYBE a trade, but from the looks of it... our current lineup is pretty much it...

barring any random players from Albany who play real well during camp

Plan "B" to Lou is... status quo