Devils Career Fair

gardenstatepkwy

12/4 1-5PM

http://devils.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=73935

Has anyone here been to one of these?  How many organizations/companies usually attend? What kind of positions are they looking for? 

I'm not actively looking for a job right now but if a job in my field were to be available with the Devils I'd consider it :koolaid:

Wow, I already have tickets to that game, but wouldn't mind working at the Rock if that is an option.  At least in my field...

I only live about 15 minutes from there...but I would assume they wouldn't be trying to show off IT or Telecom jobs at the Pru center, or would they?

From what I have heard, its mostly ticket sales/cold calling jobs.

Since the new owners have money, they might be interested in hiring people in different areas but not sure.

From what I have heard, its mostly ticket sales/cold calling jobs.

Since the new owners have money, they might be interested in hiring people in different areas but not sure.

I could only assume these guys get paid mostly via commission, right? I inquired about season tix a few months ago and I swear the guy called me every week for the next 3 months.

12/4 1-5PM

http://devils.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=73935

Has anyone here been to one of these?  How many organizations/companies usually attend? What kind of positions are they looking for? 

I'm not actively looking for a job right now but if a job in my field were to be available with the Devils I'd consider it :koolaid:

I've never gone to one but I used to get a heads-up about these things all the time when I was going to college for sport management.  Usually there are multiple professional teams from various sports there, mostly hiring for internships or entry level positions.

You probably need a bachelor's in order to get any of the good positions.

You would need a bachelor's degree for almost any full-time position in pro sports.

Edited by devilsfan26

Last year it was essentially an internship fair. Complete waste of my time and money honestly. The only group that I visited that claimed they were hiring for paid positions were the Trenton Titans, who ceased operations a month later.

Maybe it'll be better this time around but I'm not willing to sink the money into it to find out.

maybe theyll be hiring cleaning people... that sounds like it might fit your dream job working for the devils lol

Real nice dude.

But seriously, if I were presented with those two options as my only possible career choices with all things being equal (pay, hours) I'd probably take the cleaning over the cold-calling of people all day. Sales is just not for me. 

I'm an engineer, not a pitchman. As that very affable fellow from Office Space said, "I deal with the goddamn customers so the engineers don't have to! I have people skills! I am good at dealing with people!" 

Let him be the salesman and deal with the people :thumbsup:

Edited by gardenstatepkwy

Real nice dude.

But seriously, if I were presented with those two options as my only possible career choices with all things being equal (pay, hours) I'd probably take the cleaning over the cold-calling of people all day. Sales is just not for me. 

I'm an engineer, not a pitchman. As that very affable fellow from Office Space said, "I deal with the goddamn customers so the engineers don't have to! I have people skills! I am good at dealing with people!" 

Let him be the salesman and deal with the people :thumbsup:

haha im with you man i cant stand most people.. however last thing i would be doing is cleaning some dirty ass bathroom

Oh sh!t, a fellow engineer?  Don't worry gardenstatepkwy, employers love engineers.  Assuming you didn't graduate with a 2.0 (also assuming you're a recent graduate, apologies if I'm off base) you should have a job in no time.

Although let me just comment on something else you said about people skills - employers REALLY love engineers that aren't socially incompetent.  Sell yourself as an engineer with people skills.

Oh sh!t, a fellow engineer?  Don't worry gardenstatepkwy, employers love engineers.  Assuming you didn't graduate with a 2.0 (also assuming you're a recent graduate, apologies if I'm off base) you should have a job in no time.

Although let me just comment on something else you said about people skills - employers REALLY love engineers that aren't socially incompetent.  Sell yourself as an engineer with people skills.

Haha thanks for the words but I'm not unemployed.  ;)

I have a good job but was said when I made this thread that if there were an opening with the Devils that was agreeable with me I'd consider jumping ship :dizzy:

If they're hiring mostly for internships, why is it on a Wednesday afternoon right around finals time? Do it on a weekend game, and I'm sure it would help out the NJIT, Rutgers-Newark, Seton Hall crowd more. You'd probably get a lot of kids from all the state colleges, except maybe Stockton, if you do something like this on a weekend. If you have time to do this on a Wednesday afternoon, you probably cant afford tickets in the first place.

If they're hiring mostly for internships, why is it on a Wednesday afternoon right around finals time? Do it on a weekend game, and I'm sure it would help out the NJIT, Rutgers-Newark, Seton Hall crowd more. You'd probably get a lot of kids from all the state colleges, except maybe Stockton, if you do something like this on a weekend. If you have time to do this on a Wednesday afternoon, you probably cant afford tickets in the first place.

My guess is because this is also a promotion for the game that night, and since weekend games already draw more than weeknights, they put this on a weeknight to help increase attendance.

It is a hoax and farce because sports jobs are few amd far between. People have to literally prostitute themeselves to get anywhere in that business.

Done.

Well you still have to start somewhere and that's the point of these career fairs.