GoPro and the NHL @ The Rock

msweet

Zubrus bought a  GoPro from me for the outdoor game and he said he was going to S"sneak" it out.. I don't know if he did...

The Devils don't have the marquee players to be included in such a commercial. If Brodeur or Kovy was still here...sure.

But c'mon...on our ice they couldn't have thrown us a bone and put Jagr or Elias in?

exactly

Very cool. Too bad there's no way to have those cameras in game. It would be cool if the TV crews could cut to those angles every so often.

Once they manage to make the cameras small enough to the point where it can be embedded in a helmet, probably on the side near the ear, without affecting the performance of the helmet or being too bulky, that's when you might start seeing them used regularly during games. It's just too much of a risk to strap $300-500 cameras to a guy's head when he could easily crash into the boards or have a puck hit the camera and break it. 

Edited by ATLL765

Once they manage to make the cameras small enough to the point where it can be embedded in a helmet, probably on the side near the ear, without affecting the performance of the helmet or being too bulky, that's when you might start seeing them used regularly during games. It's just too much of a risk to strap $300-500 cameras to a guy's head when he could easily crash into the boards or have a puck hit the camera and break it.

i can see those big go pros breaking extremely easily in a sport with heavy contact.. one good crash like you said or a hard hit on the ice, puck or with a stick and that thing is done!

It's not really a price issue. They would only need to put it on one or two players. The issue is that you can't have a camera strapped to a player's helmet. It's ludicrous: it's unsafe, not fair to the player, and looks stupid. Of course you're right that if they get them to be small enough where they are not noticeable, then they could be used.

Edited by Neb00rs

It's not really a price issue. They would only need to put it on one or two players. The issue is that you can't have a camera strapped to a player's helmet. It's ludicrous: it's unsafe, not fair to the player, and looks stupid. Of course you're right that if they get them to be small enough where they are not noticeable, then they could be used.

That's what I was saying, beyond not wanting to break a bunch of cameras, it can't affect the safety of the player. If they could make a camera about the size of a pen or even a large sharpie and then embed that in a helmet on the side of the head next to the eye and above the ear, then it would be feasible since that shouldn't affect the helmet's ability to protect the player and it would still provide a vantage point that is nearly identical to that of the player himself.

The NHL could generate decent revenue from something like that if they provide a helmet for 1-2 star players on each team and then have the vantage point only be able to be seen if you pay for NHL Gamecenter or Center Ice and maybe for the nationally televised games on NBC and NBCSN, which would work well as a way to show off/advertise the feature for NHL Gamecenter.

Edited by ATLL765

That's what I was saying, beyond not wanting to break a bunch of cameras, it can't affect the safety of the player. If they could make a camera about the size of a pen or even a large sharpie and then embed that in a helmet on the side of the head next to the eye and above the ear, then it would be feasible since that shouldn't affect the helmet's ability to protect the player and it would still provide a vantage point that is nearly identical to that of the player himself.

The NHL could generate decent revenue from something like that if they provide a helmet for 1-2 star players on each team and then have the vantage point only be able to be seen if you pay for NHL Gamecenter or Center Ice and maybe for the nationally televised games on NBC and NBCSN, which would work well as a way to show off/advertise the feature for NHL Gamecenter.

I think the novelty would wear off quick when people start getting nauseous watching a game from that vantage point. It's one thing for little skills and shots in a clip like this and another for full fast paced game action. Players also wouldn't want to carry a camera back with them into a locker room or have one on the bench during tactical timeouts.

I think the novelty would wear off quick when people start getting nauseous watching a game from that vantage point. It's one thing for little skills and shots in a clip like this and another for full fast paced game action. Players also wouldn't want to carry a camera back with them into a locker room or have one on the bench during tactical timeouts.

I disagree. A few cuts to this angle a game would add some freshness. As far as the camera goes, as has been said already: that is the issue. Obviously they can't wear a big camera on their helmet's during games.

I disagree as well, for the same reasons Neboors brought up. Obviously the camera needs to be small enough to embed in the helmet so that it's not intrusive for the player and doesn't require he do anything different for it to work.

As far as the angle making people nauseous, that's not a real issue. People said things like that so much when the Blair Witch Project was released and recording with a hand-held camera from the perspective of a participant was popularized, but it didn't bother the majority of people. Films like that are comprised entirely of POV camera angles that are "shaky". All we're talking about here is using these cameras to supplement the main cameras at center ice in the way that the cameras on top of the glass behind the net are. They'll cut to these cameras for a few seconds or maybe a bit longer if there's a PP/PK situation where the player is more likely to be mostly stationary.

Also, having the cameras capturing what's being said during a timeout when tactics and strategy is being discussed isn't an issue either. I'm sure that the NHL and NBC/Comcast would agree to not use the player cams during timeouts if teams asked for that.

Edited by ATLL765

I realize a professional broadcast-caliber camera is different from a GoPro, but does anyone remember when John Vanbiesbrouck had a camera on his helmet in the 1996 All-Star Game?

http://www.youtu.be/XlRCGR10uBg

(That game was also notable for being the debut of the infamous glowing puck.)

Kelly Hrudey also had a helmet-cam way back in 1991 when the Kings and Rangers played an outdoor exhibition game at Caesar's Palace.

And MA Fleury has worn a helmet camera multiple times, including during the 2004 lockout in a game against Albany.  (Article with picture of the camera embedded in the bottom on the mask; video comprised of footage recorded by the helmet cam in that AHL game)

I agree, though, that the GoPro is still too big to be used in a setting such as this, despite the remarkable progress consumer photography electronics have made with regard to size, durability, and video/picture quality.  My only point is that the technology exists to pull this off if the parties involved really wanted to do it; the problem, if you can call it that, is that it's still viewed as a gimmick.

Finally; since this is a Devils board, here's a video of Cory Schneider wearing a GoPro at practice at Yankee Stadium:

Okay, here's a change-up for you guys. It's happening:

http://gopro.com/news/gopro-and-nhl-new-partnership-will-change-the-way-you-watch-hockey

In an unprecedented first for GoPro, a new partnership with the National Hockey League (NHL) and the NHL Players' Association (NHLPA) will bring hockey fans closer to the action on the ice than ever before. Beginning with this weekend’s NHL All-Star Skills Competition and All-Star Game, the NHL will use GoPro cameras to deliver viewers never-before-seen perspectives of the game.

[...]

The National Hockey League (NHL) and the National Hockey League Players’ Association (NHLPA) today announced a North American partnership with GoPro, the maker of the world's most versatile camera and enabler of some of today's most immersive and engaging content. The agreement is GoPro’s first with a major professional sports league. As part of this unprecedented partnership, the NHL will use GoPro’s innovative equipment and expertise to deliver hockey fans never-before-seen perspectives of the game and the talents of the top players in high-definition video content during national and regional game broadcasts and across the digital and social media platforms of the NHLPA, NHL and GoPro.

Okay, here's a change-up for you guys. It's happening:

http://gopro.com/news/gopro-and-nhl-new-partnership-will-change-the-way-you-watch-hockey

In an unprecedented first for GoPro, a new partnership with the National Hockey League (NHL) and the NHL Players' Association (NHLPA) will bring hockey fans closer to the action on the ice than ever before. Beginning with this weekend’s NHL All-Star Skills Competition and All-Star Game, the NHL will use GoPro cameras to deliver viewers never-before-seen perspectives of the game.

[...]

The National Hockey League (NHL) and the National Hockey League Players’ Association (NHLPA) today announced a North American partnership with GoPro, the maker of the world's most versatile camera and enabler of some of today's most immersive and engaging content. The agreement is GoPro’s first with a major professional sports league. As part of this unprecedented partnership, the NHL will use GoPro’s innovative equipment and expertise to deliver hockey fans never-before-seen perspectives of the game and the talents of the top players in high-definition video content during national and regional game broadcasts and across the digital and social media platforms of the NHLPA, NHL and GoPro.

I heard it mentioned on NHLN that they'd use the GoPro cameras during the skills competition to give a POV perspective. Not sure how they'll be used during the actual game, though I'd not be surprised to see them on the goalies, as I'd think it'd be easiest to strap them to the goalies without affecting them. Maybe they use them like the police body cameras and attach them to the players chest near the jersey's collar?

Watching the video linked here. I didn't quite get how they were capturing the angle where it was in front of and above the player as if fixed at the same distance in front of and above the player, allowing the player to rotate without the camera following them. It was if it was attached to the player's helmet by a track containing well oiled ball bearings to allow the player to spin without the camera going with them.

Edited by ATLL765

Watching the video linked here. I didn't quite get how they were capturing the angle where it was in front of and above the player as if fixed at the same distance in front of and above the player, allowing the player to rotate without the camera following them. It was if it was attached to the player's helmet by a track containing well oiled ball bearings to allow the player to spin without the camera going with them.

I don't understand how they got those angles either. Can someone explain?

As impressive as this may be, they are doing this stuff at maybe half-speed, which says a lot about just how skilled these guys really are.  It's also worth noting though that some of the goalies and defensemen aren't NHL players and seem to just be placed there for the purpose of getting schooled on camera, but still some of the moves they do are impressive, especially Oshie's fake slapper.  I would love to see some footage like this from real game action, but I'd hate for it to be used live during broadcasts, only for replays.

Edited by devilsfan26