Thrashers' honeymoon is over

Triumph

Remember when the Thrashers were locks to go to the playoffs? Now they are almost certainly underdogs. They're 8th in the Conference, but Carolina has 3 games in hand and trails by 1 point.

It's another reminder that lots of things can happen in 20 games, but after 20 more games we know more, and after a full 82 game we know even more. The Thrashers aren't a good team. They may yet recover and make the playoffs, but they'll have to play better than they've played in the first half.

Teams that should do worse in the second half: Dallas, Anaheim

Teams that should do better: New Jersey, Washington

not that i disagree with you, but the take any 12 game stretch of the devils this year and you can't put together 3-7-2.

atlanta has had a rough stretch and their peripheral statistics said their record was better than how they were playing. but they're still IN the playoffs as of right now. i mean, carolina is the one chasing them. i could just as easily see them make the playoffs as not.

while i am well aware of exactly why and for whom this thread was inteneded, i think there's a parable about glass houses and stones.

not that i disagree with you, but the take any 12 game stretch of the devils this year and you can't put together 3-7-2.

sure you can. there's a 5-6-1 stretch in november.

atlanta has had a rough stretch and their peripheral statistics said their record was better than how they were playing. but they're still IN the playoffs as of right now. i mean, carolina is the one chasing them. i could just as easily see them make the playoffs as not.

they're a point up with 3 games in hand. so okay, they're not behind, but they probably will be real soon. and then there's 3 teams chasing. i wouldn't be surprised to see atlanta end up 10th.

while i am well aware of exactly why and for whom this thread was inteneded, i think there's a parable about glass houses and stones.

no, that really wasn't my intention, at least i don't think it was. it's more to argue against journalist narratives in general. 20 games in the thrashers are playing great even though they're really not, but their record says they are. 20 more games in, they're not playing well, journalists ask, 'what's wrong with the thrashers?'. well, it's the same things that was wrong to begin with. they don't have any top line forwards, and their 2nd line stinks. these things can persist for an entire season - colorado last year is a good example - but they usually don't.

Edited by Triumph

sure you can. there's a 5-6-1 stretch in november.

totally (and obviously) stand corrected. how sad is this season that the above quoted 12 game stretch is the best the devils have done this year. ugh.

again - i agree (and have) that atlanta wasn't as good as their record. you make an excellent point wrt/ journalist view of things.