GDT Carolina @ Devils 7:00 PM

MadDog2020

Man Fayne was a beast tonight. 62.5% CF and that's starting mostly in the defensive zone and against hard completion. As someone pointed out in the chat, he has been shooting a lot more too. Probably our best Dman since the break.

The D has been given the green light to go and Faye has not been shy coming down the wall. Love it. Hope they find a way to keep him.

Edited by hystyk28

Yeah okay Al Davis :rolleyes:

Wins are a TEAM stat, not a goalie stat.  If you want to believe the Devils will keep scoring 4+ for Marty and >2 for Cory then fine, keep putting Marty out there.  And of course we'll be out a first-round pick with no goalie in two years after Cory walks because of this ****

For whatever it is worth, the four Devils games I've attended this season are an appropriate microcosm of the Marty/Cory debate:

12/21/13: Devils 5 @ Capitals 4 (OT) - Brodeur starting goaltender

02/08/14: Devils 0 @ Capitals 3 - Schneider starting goaltender (2 of the Capitals' 3 goals were late game empty netters)

03/01/14: Devils 6 @ Islanders 1 - Brodeur starting goaltender

03/08/14: Devils 5 vs Hurricanes 4 - Brodeur starting goaltender

Schneider's game on 2/8 was probably the best Devils goaltending performance in any of the four games (though Marty made some big stops in the 1st period against the Islanders a couple Saturdays ago but had an easy game thereafter) but was also the only game of the four the Devils lost.

Though goaltenders have a disproportionate impact on the results of individual hockey games, hockey is still a team sport.  A good goaltending performance can be negated by a poor team performance and vice-versa.

For whatever it is worth, the four Devils games I've attended this season are an appropriate microcosm of the Marty/Cory debate:

12/21/13: Devils 5 @ Capitals 4 (OT) - Brodeur starting goaltender

02/08/14: Devils 0 @ Capitals 3 - Schneider starting goaltender (2 of the Capitals' 3 goals were late game empty netters)

03/01/14: Devils 6 @ Islanders 1 - Brodeur starting goaltender

03/08/14: Devils 5 vs Hurricanes 4 - Brodeur starting goaltender

Schneider's game on 2/8 was probably the best Devils goaltending performance in any of the four games (though Marty made some big stops in the 1st period against the Islanders a couple Saturdays ago but had an easy game thereafter) but was also the only game of the four the Devils lost.

Though goaltenders have a disproportionate impact on the results of individual hockey games, hockey is still a team sport.  A good goaltending performance can be negated by a poor team performance and vice-versa.

Well you have to consider that when Marty is in net we need to have at least a 4 goal lead.

Yeah okay Al Davis :rolleyes:

Wins are a TEAM stat, not a goalie stat.  If you want to believe the Devils will keep scoring 4+ for Marty and >2 for Cory then fine, keep putting Marty out there.  And of course we'll be out a first-round pick with no goalie in two years after Cory walks because of this ****

I surprised at how often this thinking is being perpetuated on the board. There is no reason to think that Cory is going to walk because Marty is starting games. He knows he's going to have the full starting job for the extended future and is going to sign with the team that gives him the best contract and playing situation combined, no matter what.

Even more what I don't get is how people are SOOOO angry with Marty, so much so, that they have completely lost their senses and their ability to fairly assess games. People bash and bash Marty (for only wanting to continue playing in the NHL) as some selfish prick who won't just admit he sucks and retire. When Marty lets in 6 goals, he is the worst goaltender in the league (though many of those goals were not his fault). When Cory lets in 7, it wasn't his fault because the team around him sucked and according to DR33, this is not the type of game where you talk about the goaltending. We also have decided to forego all reason and claim that Marty's goal support is completely a pattern of chance and can't have anything to do with his play, which while probably not having an outrageous effect, must be playing into the increased offense.

WE ALL KNOW Cory is the better goalie and should be starting most of the games. However, the desire to attack Marty, and unilaterally insult him over even rooting for the Devils to win, or fairly assessing the outcome of the game, is just a sad occurrence to watch unfold. Marty has won his last three games, we should be celebrating that and not looking to find creative ways to continue the barrage of criticisms at him. Clearly we can still win with him in net. Isn't winning what matters? No excuse me, isn't supporting a long-time New Jersey Devil legend on the far backside of his career what matters?

• Like 1

I surprised at how often this thinking is being perpetuated on the board. There is no reason to think that Cory is going to walk because Marty is starting games. He knows he's going to have the full starting job for the extended future and is going to sign with the team that gives him the best contract and playing situation combined, no matter what.

Even more what I don't get is how people are SOOOO angry with Marty, so much so, that they have completely lost their senses and their ability to fairly assess games. People bash and bash Marty (for only wanting to continue playing in the NHL) as some selfish prick who won't just admit he sucks and retire. When Marty lets in 6 goals, he is the worst goaltender in the league (though many of those goals were not his fault). When Cory lets in 7, it wasn't his fault because the team around him sucked and according to DR33, this is not the type of game where you talk about the goaltending. We also have decided to forego all reason and claim that Marty's goal support is completely a pattern of chance and can't have anything to do with his play, which while probably not having an outrageous effect, must be playing into the increased offense.

WE ALL KNOW Cory is the better goalie and should be starting most of the games. However, the desire to attack Marty, and unilaterally insult him over even rooting for the Devils to win, or fairly assessing the outcome of the game, is just a sad occurrence to watch unfold. Marty has won his last three games, we should be celebrating that and not looking to find creative ways to continue the barrage of criticisms at him. Clearly we can still win with him in net. Isn't winning what matters? No excuse me, isn't supporting a long-time New Jersey Devil legend on the far backside of his career what matters?

No Cory's going to walk because A) he doesn't owe us anything, and B) we're not going to find out enough about him to offer him a big-money deal this offseason (i.e. how he handles 55+ games and a stretch run) trying to placate Marty.  Especially if placating Marty extends into next year and we go through this circus AGAIN.

It's not about wanting MB30 to retire, it's about wanting him to shut the **** up already.  This constant drama every week is getting Favre-esque.  He wants to leave, he wants to play more, he keeps going to Lou to reassess everything, he's mad he didn't get traded...it's just unseemly.  You can respect the guy for the 20+ years he gave us and still take him to task for diva behavior and call him out for not playing well when he does ***** about playing time.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Well said.

No Cory's going to walk because A) he doesn't owe us anything, and B) we're not going to find out enough about him to offer him a big-money deal this offseason (i.e. how he handles 55+ games and a stretch run) trying to placate Marty. Especially if placating Marty extends into next year and we go through this circus AGAIN.

It's not about wanting MB30 to retire, it's about wanting him to shut the **** up already. This constant drama every week is getting Favre-esque. He wants to leave, he wants to play more, he keeps going to Lou to reassess everything, he's mad he didn't get traded...it's just unseemly. You can respect the guy for the 20+ years he gave us and still take him to task for diva behavior and call him out for not playing well when he does ***** about playing time.

Oy vey. Cory will be signed this summer or traded. I think Lou will or probably has already offered him Rask money. You do not make that trade if you are not going to offer him what it takes to stay, or if you think Marty is a long term solution, which everyone including Lou knew when he made the trade in the first place.

And anyone that brings up Zach in response should be banned. For the last time, the new CBA is designed to give teams with impending UFAs predictability as to whether they can expect to sign a player to a new deal. It's the reason why every impending coveted UFA that could expect to get some kind of long term deal with the exception of Statsny was traded before the deadline. You look at the return that Buffalo got for Miller. We would expect to get more for Schneider.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No Cory's going to walk because A) he doesn't owe us anything, and B) we're not going to find out enough about him to offer him a big-money deal this offseason (i.e. how he handles 55+ games and a stretch run) trying to placate Marty.  Especially if placating Marty extends into next year and we go through this circus AGAIN.

It's not about wanting MB30 to retire, it's about wanting him to shut the **** up already.  This constant drama every week is getting Favre-esque.  He wants to leave, he wants to play more, he keeps going to Lou to reassess everything, he's mad he didn't get traded...it's just unseemly.  You can respect the guy for the 20+ years he gave us and still take him to task for diva behavior and call him out for not playing well when he does ***** about playing time.

To the first part: What exactly do you want to find out and how many starts does that take exactly. The fact that he "doesn't owe us anything" has no relevance.

Re: the second part: You want him to shut the f up? Last time I checked he has NEVER retired and come back OR committed to retiring. That was maybe what you were hoping for but not reality. And really you are surprised that he is going to the GM of the team to keep tabs on where he stands discuss his contract - especially of a GM of a team he has played with for 20 years?

And sure, you can take him to task for making **** about playing time - which he really hasn't (all he has said is that he wants to play - what do you expect?) - but that's not what I was addressing, and I made that clear. I am addressing the ridiculousness in the way the Marty attacks are being leveled. 

This post is a stretch at best.

Oy vey. Cory will be signed this summer or traded. I think Lou will or probably has already offered him Rask money. You do not make that trade if you are not going to offer him what it takes to stay, or if you think Marty is a long term solution, which everyone including Lou knew when he made the trade in the first place.

And anyone that brings up Zach in response should be banned. For the last time, the new CBA is designed to give teams with impending UFAs predictability as to whether they can expect to sign a player to a new deal. It's the reason why every impending coveted UFA that could expect to get some kind of long term deal with the exception of Statsny was traded before the deadline. You look at the return that Buffalo got for Miller. We would expect to get more for Schneider.

+ 1 Exactly.

Edited by Neb00rs