2012-13 Prospect Thread

thefiestygoat

With training camps around the corner and national camps underway, I figured it is time to get this thread going.

Here are the Devils NCAA and CHL prospects:

Advanced to Pros:

David Wohlberg C, Corbin McPherson D, Scott Wedgewood G

New Additions:

Stefan Matteau LW, Damon Severson D, Ben Johnson LW/C, Ben Thomson LW, Graham Black C, Alex Kerfoot C, Artur Gavrus LW/C

Gone:

Patrick Daly D (Transfer to D3 St. Thomas), Mauro Jorg RW (Not Signed)

NCAA:

Michigan: Jon Merrill D (JR)

Minnesota: Seth Helgeson D (SR)* Will wear an A this year.

Wisconsin: Joe Faust D (JR)

Ohio State: Curtis Gedig D (JR)

North Dakota: Derek Rodwell LW (JR)

Miami: Blake Coleman C (SO)

Michigan Tech: Blake Pietila LW (SO)

QMJHL:

Blainville-Boisbriand: Stefan Matteau LW (1st Year)

OHL:

Sarnia: Reid Boucher LW (2nd Year)

Windsor: Ben Johnson LW/C (2nd Year)

Kitchener: Ben Thomson LW (4th Year)

WHL:

Swfit Current: Reece Scarlett D (4th Year) Graham Black C (2nd Year)

Kelowna: Damon Severson D (3rd Year)

BCHL:

Coquitlam Express: Alex Kerfoot C (2nd Year)

Belarus:

Neman Grodno: Artur Gavrus LW/C

---

The first camp of the summer involving Devils prospects is team USA's National Junior Evaluation Camp in Lake Placid. Players are competing for a spot on the WJC team. The camp has been split into two teams (Blue vs. White) with Devils prospect's Reid Boucher, Stefan Matteau, and Blake Pietila on the White team. Coming into the camp here is what Chris Peters wrote on his fantastic blog, the United States of Hockey:

Reid Boucher — Sarnia Sting — NJD, 4th, 99, 2011 — Of the players in camp, Boucher might be the most natural goal-scorer, with his ridiculous release and penchant for big goals. He scored eight, almost all of them hugely important, at the 2011 World U18s. Boucher doesn’t have great size, but he’s strong on the puck. He’s also not the best skater in the world, which could hold him back. Boucher is really going to need to convert on the opportunities he’s expected to in camp to prove he can bring that nasty goal-scoring touch to this team. With his international track record, I think Boucher is going to be given every opportunity to earn a spot on this squad.

Stefan Matteau — Blainville-Boisbriand Armada — NJD, 1st, 29, 2012 — After being barred by the IIHF from participating at the World U18s for Team USA on a bogus eligibility issue, Matteau has been cleared to play for the U.S. going forward. It’s a good thing, too. Matteau has power-forward skills including powerful skating, strength on the puck and the ability to throw his weight around. He should have a productive first half in his first season in the QMJHL, but can also give himself some early positioning for a spot on Team USA with a breakout performance in camp. Having lost the U18 world championship as a crucial evaluation event, Matteau should come out flying in Lake Placid. His first-round pedigree and edgy game make him an early favorite to make the final roster.

Blake Pietila — Michigan Tech University — NJD, 5th, 129, 2011 — Though tucked away at Michigan Tech, Pietila put together quite a freshman season for the Huskies. He tallied 24 points including 10 goals, but his real value is in his ability to play defensively. Pietila would be an ideal candidate to match up against opponents’ top lines in a shut-down role. He can grind it out with the best of them and has the strength and the motor to be successful. Pietila is good on the forecheck, he can get some minutes on the penalty kill and yes, he can pop in the odd goal. His grind-it-out, blue-collar style could be just what this team needs in Ufa. If he shows that style in camp, he’ll position himself well for December.

Here is where these guys stand through the first two intrasquad scrimmages: Boucher (1-1-2), Matteau (1-0-1 2 PIM), Pietila (0-0-0)

Each split squad will play a scrimmage tomorrow (White vs. Sweden 4:30), then the roster will be cut down and the rest of the schedule is USA vs. Finland on Wednesday at 4:00, USA vs. Sweden on Thursday at 4:00, and USA vs. Finland on Saturday at 1:00.

Edited by thefiestygoat

I would assume Jorg and Daly are basically done if they even ever had a change here. Daly clearly putting education as his number one priority (I think) and Jorg puts up well medicore numbers in the Swiss league.

I think TG tweeted today that Kerfoot is going to Harvard.

I hope all 3 make the USA team. Maybe Pietela is a long shot to make it? But then again, you need grinders too. I actually think Lou's timing on all these guys is pretty darn good.

Marty/Moose retire, Wedge/Kinkaid are ready to step in.

Merrill/Larsson will be the next Carlson/Alzner duo

Patty has Boucher to take his spot in a few years.

Wewill go from being the oldest nhl team to one of the youngest

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I'm happy to have hockey to follow again!

I think TG tweeted today that Kerfoot is going to Harvard.

This is correct, I missed that tweet earlier but I am going to update the original post. Looks like he chose Harvard over Boston College.

I hope all 3 make the USA team. Maybe Pietela is a long shot to make it? But then again, you need grinders too.

It seems like Matteau has the best shot out of the 3 to make the team since he has a nice mix of offensive skill and physical play. I wouldn't be shocked to see Pietila make the team instead Boucher since he seems like a real solid defensive forward while Boucher has one great skill (shot) but not a well rounded game beyond that. Hoping all 3 make it though!

Patrick Daly retired from hockey, which is just as well, he wasn't getting any playing time at college.

I believe Kerfoot is attending Harvard in 2013 - I think he's playing another season in the BCHL. Which is fine, given that the Devils drafted 5 forwards from junior hockey this year, those guys will have to come into the system around the same time (and it's likely NJ passes on signing at least one of them).

USA White lost to Sweden 5-1: Boucher (DNP), Matteau (PPA, 2 PIM), and Pietila (No points/penalties). Chris Peters says the US is going to cut down the players to the 20's so hopefully the Devils 3 make it.

I believe Kerfoot is attending Harvard in 2013 - I think he's playing another season in the BCHL. Which is fine, given that the Devils drafted 5 forwards from junior hockey this year, those guys will have to come into the system around the same time (and it's likely NJ passes on signing at least one of them).

This is correct and I updated the original post. He'll be entering his second season with the Coquitlam Express and should put up some lofty numbers given that he went 25-44-69 in 51 last year.

Patrick Daly retired from hockey, which is just as well, he wasn't getting any playing time at college.

I dont think he retired, he intended to but then had a change of heart, he left UW and moved to play Division 3 NCAA.

That was the last i heard anyway, but that was earlier in the year.

All three Devils survived the first cut which reduced the team from 45 to 34.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=10883

Edit: for the USA WJC team

Fantastic news! It is interesting that they only cut down the camp to 34 guys. Hopefully the Devils prospects can impress over the next 3 games (if they each get into all 3 that is) and earn an invite to the pre-WJC camp in a few months.

Boucher and Pietila didn't play today, I have to imagine they will get a chance to prove themselves against Sweden tomorrow. Keep in mind there are still 19 forwards in camp so they have to divide the ice time up.

The US defeated Finland 5-2. Matteau had a goal. His line earned a lot of praise from Chris Peters and Corey Pronman:

Good drive to net by Biggs and Fogarty creating chances in tight allowing Stefan Matteau to poke in a rebound. 1-0 USA #NJEC

— Chris Peters (@chrismpeters)

August 8, 2012

"Good drive to net by Biggs and Fogarty creating chances in tight allowing Stefan Matteau to poke in a rebound. 1-0 USA #NJEC"

Surprise of this game has been the effectiveness offensively of Biggs-Fogarty-Matteau line. Playing physical, creating chances. #NJEC

— Chris Peters (@chrismpeters)

August 8, 2012

"Surprise of this game has been the effectiveness offensively of Biggs-Fogarty-Matteau line. Playing physical, creating chances. #NJEC"

Galchenyuk/Gaudreau had one of their better periods in this camp puck-movement wise. The Matteau-Fogarty-Biggs line has been solid.

— Corey Pronman (@coreypronman)

August 8, 2012

"Galchenyuk/Gaudreau had one of their better periods in this camp puck-movement wise. The Matteau-Fogarty-Biggs line has been solid."

Matteau-Fogarty-Biggs line played well again this period. Gaudreau played well, created some chances, ended up with a goal.

— Corey Pronman (@coreypronman)

August 8, 2012

"Matteau-Fogarty-Biggs line played well again this period. Gaudreau played well, created some chances, ended up with a goal."

The US defeated Sweden 10-2. Matteau did not play after playing yesterday, Boucher and Pietila played instead. Boucher skated on a line with Sarnia Sting teammate and 3rd overall draft pick Alex Galchenyuk and Ranger's 2011 1st round pick J.T. Miller and recorded a slashing minor. Pietila played a fourth line defensive role but was able to record 2 assists.

Usa lost to Finland 3-2 (OT) to conclude the NJEC: Matteau (2 PIM - Slashing), Boucher (No Stats), and Pietila (2 PIM - Slashing).

Matteau played LW on the 1st line with Fogarty and Biggs, Boucher was a LW on the 2nd line with Trocheck and Kerdiles, and Pietila was a LW on the 4th line with Boyd and Blackwell. A lot of the big name US players were scratches so this game seemed like a chance for them to evaluate other players.

Chris Peters of at The United States of Hockey had this to say about Pietila:

Blake Pietila — If the U.S. wants to have a shutdown line in Ufa, I think Pietila made a great case for why he should be on it in this camp. Relentless on the puck, he just never quits on a play. He’s showing much better speed than I remember out of him and has played the body. He’s a guy that wants to take the puck from you, and wants to do something with it when he gets it. Pietila has some offensive ability too, even if he lacks a that little bit of finish. No matter what, I think he has positioned himself well for a roster spot.

Was in Albany this weekend for Giants camp. Times Union Center was empty but still walked up and checked it out. Pretty cool arena in the middle of downtown. It was almost like half open with the way it is set up. Really want to go check out a game there this year now.

I go to school near Providence so definitely trying to hit up a game when Albany plays there. Especially if theres a lockout

Edited by SMantzas

Was in Albany this weekend for Giants camp. Times Union Center was empty but still walked up and checked it out. Pretty cool arena in the middle of downtown. It was almost like half open with the way it is set up. Really want to go check out a game there this year now.

I've always wanted to take in a game there. I'm trying to save up/plan a trip for this winter after I graduate from MU. Sort of a present to myself lol.