UFC

devilsrule33

UFC has been taking over the sports world lately and it seems like it will be getting a lot bigger. Front cover of SI, lots of talk on sports shows like PTI, tons of radio coverage and huge ratings. UFC is moving ahead of hockey, basketball and baseball in popularity.

I can't say I'm a huge fan but I have been getting the PPVs with my buddies for the last 5 or 6 months and I have enjoyed them. So who's on board?

Not me. They're ok, and I'll watch em if they happen to be on in the bar or house I'm at, or if there's one in AC when I'm down there, I might go. But I aint shellin out $40 solely to watch one on PPV.

I used to follow them when Severn, Gracie, Shamrock, Frye and Oleg were in em. Like the first dozen or so, I liked em THEN, they were better than the Toughman competition fights, with all the different styles and sizes matching up.

When the rules were :

1. No fish hooking.

2. No Eye gauging.

3. No biting.

no gloves, just two dudes using everything they knew to beat the other guy down. The rules today bore it down a little too much IMO. That is one bad mark against McCain, since he led the fight against UFC in those early days. They called it too violent, but when someone tapped out, that was it, there were ne B.S. hard feelings. The loser respected the winner, and the best man won.

I miss the good ol days :urg:

What I don't understand is that the UFC is rapidly gaining popularity and there's all these new fight leagues like WEC that are starting to catch on and meanwhile all the NHL morons are going, "Hmm....I think the fights are turning viewers away. Maybe if we ban it then we will attract viewers."

What I don't understand is that the UFC is rapidly gaining popularity and there's all these new fight leagues like WEC that are starting to catch on and meanwhile all the NHL morons are going, "Hmm....I think the fights are turning viewers away. Maybe if we ban it then we will attract viewers."

Quoted for genius.

UFC has been taking over the sports world lately and it seems like it will be getting a lot bigger. Front cover of SI, lots of talk on sports shows like PTI, tons of radio coverage and huge ratings. UFC is moving ahead of hockey, basketball and baseball in popularity.

I can't say I'm a huge fan but I have been getting the PPVs with my buddies for the last 5 or 6 months and I have enjoyed them. So who's on board?

I have been on board since day one when I saw the very first UFC when it aired in 93. I had saw the preview for it and I was like oh that looks cool I want to order it and I have been hooked ever since. I even went to the fights when they were around this area in AC and one at the Meadowlands. I never pay money for them though, it helps when your friends have hot boxes.

and another reason it is getting bigger is cause more and more people are betting on the sport, its basically picking up the ball boxing dropped.

another thing is WEC isn't new, I have been watching that since it started as well. It started back in 01 if I remember correctly. Zuffa, the same company that owns the UFC bought WEC just a couple of months ago. They are changing it a little though, it use to have like a pentagon shaped ring and they are going to the use the UFC octagon now.