21 replies to this topic

#21 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:13 PM

Location is, however, a factor. Minor league fans are predominately families with kids looking for affordable entertainment. If families don't feel safe, they will not come

Again take the number of baseball teams in the area out of the equation. If families aren't afraid to go to Camden for games then they shouldn't be afraid to go to Bears games either.

But, the Bears shouldn't be catering to the typical sheltered suburbanites. They needed to market themselves locally. Get involved in the communities, put themselves in the local papers, do grassroots, etc. They're called the Newark Bears not North Jersey Bears. Their failure to market themselves within the immediate Newark area(a baseball hotspot for Latinos) is why they are in the position they're in.

#22 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:17 PM

Again take the number of baseball teams in the area out of the equation. If families aren't afraid to go to Camden for games then they shouldn't be afraid to go to Bears games either.

But, the Bears shouldn't be catering to the typical sheltered suburbanites. They needed to market themselves locally. Get involved in the communities, put themselves in the local papers, do grassroots, etc. They're called the Newark Bears not North Jersey Bears. Their failure to market themselves within the immediate Newark area(a baseball hotspot for Latinos) is why they are in the position they're in.

I edited the post a second ago, which you may have missed, but Bridgeport and Camden do draw worse than suburban cities, and Gary has struggled as well. I completely agree about the community work. Newark's owners have all dropped the ball badly in the city. It's one of many things that have left them in this position.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users