Possible Buyout Candidates

brodeur14301991

Elliotte Friedman from HNIC tweeted about a new offer the NHL made to the NHLPA it includes a one buyout from each team here is his twitter so you can read more https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNICThis got me thinking about possible players that will get bought out by their respective teams and whether or not the Devils should/would be interested.

1. Vincent Lecavalier- Could play center or wing, I think he would fit on this team. He has a reputation of dogging it sometimes, but Deboer, Lamoriello and CO would not allow that.

2. Dany Heatley- He is a great goal scorer and he could fill the void that Parise left. Him and Ilya on the same line would be dirty

3. Brian Campbell- Soupy is a pretty good offensive defenseman and could help the powerplay.Even though he is sort of old (33) I think he is somebody we should explore on a short term deal.

Those are three names that I came up with, feel free to add more to this list.

Edited by brodeur14301991

I can't see Lecavalier or Campbell being bought out - Tampa and Florida have little to gain from an amnesty buyout, they're nowhere near the cap and have no intentions to be close to it. Heatley's another matter - I'd rather try to work out a trade for him, like maybe Volchenkov for Heatley. If he goes UFA I imagine the offers for him will be fast and stupid, and his game is going downhill fast - the idea of having him for any more than the 1.5 years left on his contract would be rather disgusting.

Briere's a guy I think could be bought out on amnesty, although his defense is so weak I can't see New Jersey bringing him in.

95% chance lou would never take a shot with heatley

I sure hope so. I would cry if we got Heatley. I think he's a POS for forcing Ottawa's hand, then rejecting a trade to Edmonton.

And this isn't counting the Snyder incident, asking to leave ATL and the fact that I think he's shot as a player. He has no speed anymore

I can't see Lecavalier or Campbell being bought out - Tampa and Florida have little to gain from an amnesty buyout, they're nowhere near the cap and have no intentions to be close to it. Heatley's another matter - I'd rather try to work out a trade for him, like maybe Volchenkov for Heatley. If he goes UFA I imagine the offers for him will be fast and stupid, and his game is going downhill fast - the idea of having him for any more than the 1.5 years left on his contract would be rather disgusting.

Briere's a guy I think could be bought out on amnesty, although his defense is so weak I can't see New Jersey bringing him in.

why would we want to throw... somewhat useful pieces and get back an overpaid sniper on the decline again? plus i really want to see the wild fail for awhile and taking Heathley off their hands could only help them.

why would we want to throw... somewhat useful pieces and get back an overpaid sniper on the decline again? plus i really want to see the wild fail for awhile and taking Heathley off their hands could only help them.

Volchenkov is not useful, except on the PK. Plus, we have a surplus on defense.

However, for the reasons I stated above, I'd rather get someone else

Because Volchenkov will soon be expendable and if we want Heatley post-buy out you know some stupid GM will throw 4 years/24 million at him, rather than paying him 5 million + whatever's left of this season (6m)...and ridding us of a troublesome contract.

I think you might be able to add Gaborik to that list. Last time I heard, the Rags were very close to the old cap and still needed to re-sign DelZotto and another D. Although Gaborik is the equivalent of Glass Joe from Mike Tyson's Punchout, his skill when fully healthy is unreal.

Rangers have to amnesty Redden first. Also they're not close to the cap - right now they have $59 million on their books, according to capgeek.

I don't like Heatley much either, but if we could get him and dump Volchenkov - who while I like him, his contract is probably already a negative and could easily become more of one if he continues to get injured - we're filling a need and ridding ourselves of a potential liability.

I could see the Flames buying out Bouwmeester... this season + next at $6.8mil per. They do have Iginla as UFA after this upcoming season, and re-signing him would kinda, ya know, be huge for the franchise. Jay-Bo would be highly sought after, obviously, but only a few teams could toss big money at him.

Could see the Canucks buying out Booth, 3 seasons at $4.25mil per. As a buyout candidate, he could be a really nice secondary scoring option for the Devils.

Bruins, yikes, they have a lot of money committed to a lot of players for a lot of years. They'll have to be active on the trading market, like the Blackhawks after winning the Cup.

How quickly do you think the Sabres will buy out Leino? As a depth piece, very attractive option.

Calgary would buy out Stajan before Bouwmeester, I think - Bouwmeester may not be as good as they thought he'd be, but he still takes up a huge number of minutes on a not-so-strong blueline.

Stajan might not be a horrible option for New Jersey to at least get a look in camp.

I think the 35+ rule goes away in this CBA, so the Bruins might get out from under Tim Thomas. Marc Savard and Nathan Horton are both hurt. They may be okay.

It wouldn't even save them money...between the amount of money they'd have to pay on the buyout combined with the salary whoever replaces him on the roster gets it would be next to zero savings. The only reason to do it is for the cap, especially considering the cap could go down to $60 million with four key/semi-key FA's this offseason.

It wouldn't even save them money...between the amount of money they'd have to pay on the buyout combined with the salary whoever replaces him on the roster gets it would be next to zero savings. The only reason to do it is for the cap, especially considering the cap could go down to $60 million with four key/semi-key FA's this offseason.

If they replaced him with Urbom it would save significant money. He's due 12.75M so an amnesty would be for 6.375M - with the Devils' young defensemen that are coming up, they could save serious cash.

The Devils are in a tremendous cap situation for 13-14. 4 key free agents, but two will take huge paycuts if they stay. Many other teams won't have money available to offer, so the market will be depressed.

If they replaced him with Urbom it would save significant money. He's due 12.75M so an amnesty would be for 6.375M - with the Devils' young defensemen that are coming up, they could save serious cash.

The Devils are in a tremendous cap situation for 13-14. 4 key free agents, but two will take huge paycuts if they stay. Many other teams won't have money available to offer, so the market will be depressed.

I thought players got 2/3 of the money total of a buyout, spread over six years in Volchenkov's case? That might change in a new CBA regardless but I guess it saves 'up-front' money.

I don't think anyone's really in a 'good' cap situation if the owners get what they want, though I suspect the $60 million number has to be negotiated up a little. We're just above the floor this year and it's basically $5 million less than what the celing's supposed to be next year. With our UFA's, total salaries might be a wash at best if all four re-sign. Elias and Zubrus will get a little less (4-4.5 and 2-2.5), Clarkson and Zajac (4+ and 5.5-6) a little more. Other RFA's might have to get a raise.

Edited by NJDevs4978