2013 NHL Draft

Derlique

Thanks..I'll need it :lol:

Let's just say I'll be making alternative plans for that day.

I mean..I'd prefer that.  It'd probably give people in NJ a better chance to attend but, I mean, when was the last time a draft was in NJ?  Probably won't be back here for at least another 30 years.  Why shouldn't we in the area get the first shot?

Just my opinion, but I don't think many people are hoping to win the raffle so that they can fly in for the draft.

Raffle is probably the most fair way to do it, but they should have made more tickets available to the general public.

I don't really know how many tickets are available.  Season tickets holders got between 2-4 tickets, regardless of how many actual seats they own.  I imagine that ate up most of the tickets and doesn't seem unfair.  After you've rewarded season ticket holders and give the league their tickets then you have whatever is left and that's a function of size so I don't know how they could make more tickets available than they are.

We know defense is better than offense - if a team scored 0 goals and didn't allow any goals, and won half its shootouts, it'd be the best team in hockey.  This would not be true of a team that scored 300 goals and gave up 300.  But what we don't know is that Darnell Nurse is like Chris Pronger or Shea Weber, which is basically the comparison given for any D who's physical and about to be taken near the top of the draft - Nurse's offense is the big question mark.  Scott Reynolds' comparables - players who were drafted this high with this sort of pedigree - don't give a lot of optimism for him becoming a real game-changer.  It's a safe pick - most of the guys on his comp list had long NHL careers - but I'd rather trade down and go for one of the lower ranked forwards.

That was kinda my point i'd like to have a guy like Nurse but with a 9th pick and with our situation if we go for a D i'd rather get an offensive dman or a GREAT 2 way dmen.

so basically with that 9th pick i'd really want someone who can bring production cause we'll possibly need a sh!tload in the next coming years with some guys leaving/retiring and not a whole lot of guys coming up.

Edited by SterioDesign

So what's the better way that is fair to everyone?  First 500 people in line the day of the event?

There was NO need to give every STH bonus tickets. Give them as many as they have for season tickets and that's it. No that it would've been much more but it woulda been something, not this asinine stupidity where we might have to be seat fillers to get in

There was NO need to give every STH bonus tickets. Give them as many as they have for season tickets and that's it. No that it would've been much more but it woulda been something, not this asinine stupidity where we might have to be seat fillers to get in

I don't know that that solves anything.  I think they did it in this fashion to get more tickets into the hands of fans and out of the hands of scalpers.  If they just blankly gave every seat a ticket than ticket brokers who own 10 seats would get 20 draft tickets, now they at most got 4 and there are 6 more regular people that will get to go.

In a normal year the Devils have between 11-13k season ticket seats, if every one of those was given a draft ticket, then then league gets their tickets, how many tickets do you think are leftover?  I still think the number is very small.  In fact, there may not be enough tickets to give every season ticket seat a ticket, I'm not sure what the ratio to accounts versus seats is.

Edited by Devils731

I don't know that that solves anything.  I think they did it in this fashion to get more tickets into the hands of fans and out of the hands of scalpers.  If they just blankly gave every seat a ticket than ticket brokers who own 10 seats would get 20 draft tickets, now they at most got 4 and there are 6 more regular people that will get to go.

In a normal year the Devils have between 11-13k season ticket seats, if every one of those was given a draft ticket, then then league gets their tickets, how many tickets do you think are leftover?  I still think the number is very small.  In fact, there may not be enough tickets to give every season ticket seat a ticket, I'm not sure what the ratio to accounts versus seats is.

Ok then just give everyone two then instead of however many they have. All you had to do was say "every STH is guaranteed 2 tickets to the draft" last year when they found out they were getting it and nobody would've been mad.

The NBA, NFL and MLB drafts all have ways for regular, non STH fans to get in, whether it's buying tickets or not, through stuff beyond a random raffle. It's an incompetent league doing incompetent things once again

I think season ticket holders who have 4 season tickets would have been upset saying if they only got 2 tickets and they could hope to get lucky and purchase an additional 2 off of ticketmaster for 20 bucks each.

There is a way for regular, non STH fans to get in, it's the raffle.  Any system of distributing limited tickets was going to leave some unlucky people out in the cold.  Doing it by raffle lets everyone get an equal chance.  Let's say there are 2,000 tickets and 6,500 people want them, what is your solution for most fair way of distributing them?

Ok then just give everyone two then instead of however many they have. All you had to do was say "every STH is guaranteed 2 tickets to the draft" last year when they found out they were getting it and nobody would've been mad.

The NBA, NFL and MLB drafts all have ways for regular, non STH fans to get in, whether it's buying tickets or not, through stuff beyond a random raffle. It's an incompetent league doing incompetent things once again

You not liking it doesn't make it incompetent. It's a perk to the STH. Why give a holder who is paying for 6 seats a game 2 tickets? That wouldn't be fair either.

They gave first dibs to season ticket holders, and then the rest went by way of raffle. How much more fair can it be? Someone else may not find it fair that they'd have to wait in line for 3 hours, or sit and be ready on TicketMaster at 10am as they get released. You can't please everyone.

I think season ticket holders who have 4 season tickets would have been upset saying if they only got 2 tickets and they could hope to get lucky and purchase an additional 2 off of ticketmaster for 20 bucks each.

There is a way for regular, non STH fans to get in, it's the raffle.  Any system of distributing limited tickets was going to leave some unlucky people out in the cold.  Doing it by raffle lets everyone get an equal chance.  Let's say there are 2,000 tickets and 6,500 people want them, what is your solution for most fair way of distributing them?

Well half the arena's gonna be closed off so what do they expect? The raffle is a joke compared to what other leagues do. Just give people a chance to buy them, that'll get the people that actually wanna be there in there and it helps them make more money. You can't please everyone, but give people who really wanna be there but can't afford season tickets a chance to go. A 4% chance isn't much of a chance at all. No other sport does it like this. I can just waltz into the barclay's center and get NBA draft tickets no problem. NFL draft tickets are an effort to get but it can be done. MLB draft tickets anyone can show up. NHL draft you get a 4% raffle chance with anybody who made the excruciating effort to fill out a one page form. Season ticket holders didn't pay for the draft, maybe they could get it as their reward, but the idea that every season ticket holder needs 4 tickets to this is asinine and stupid for the sake of pleasing people for no reason. People who actually wanna pay for it can't. They're literally turning down money. By doing it the way they're doing it, any STH gets them, whether they give a sh!t about Sean Monahan or Nathan MacKinnon or not or even know who they are. Make it so even if you have to pay, it's people who actually care who will be there, not somebody who gets tickets just because they can afford to go during the season to every game. 

You not liking it doesn't make it incompetent. It's a perk to the STH. Why give a holder who is paying for 6 seats a game 2 tickets? That wouldn't be fair either.

They gave first dibs to season ticket holders, and then the rest went by way of raffle. How much more fair can it be? Someone else may not find it fair that they'd have to wait in line for 3 hours, or sit and be ready on TicketMaster at 10am as they get released. You can't please everyone.

If you honestly think a 4% raffle is fair, I don't know what to tell you. I basically have no chance of going just because I can't afford season tickets. How is that fair when the only relation between the two is the same building and STHs didn't pay for draft tickets when I'd be perfectly willing to?

Half the arena is going to closed?

..why wouldn't they open up that half and put the tickets out for sale?  Even something cheap like $10 would still put some money into their pockets.

If I buy them off Stubhub, they HAVE to be legit, right?

Bad news.

"Because this is a free event we will not be offering tickets to this event. Please click here for a chance to get tickets. Thanks for choosing StubHub!"

So the real problem the Devils have is people want these draft tickets whereas the NBA and MLB drafts nobody cares about so you can walk right in?  You can see where the difference is between getting something nobody cares about and getting something that people are seeking.

I mean come on, you said, "for the sake of pleasing people for no reason".  The Devils and/or NHL are now jerks for trying to please customers.

I think this is definitely boiling down to that you're not pleased you may not get tickets, which you might not be able to do under any system you've suggested.  I haven't seen a solution that helps out the fact that there is limited space compared to the number of people that want tickets.

I rarely hear a consumer complain a company is doing something for free.

I think it should have been for every seat you have as a STH, you get a seat for the draft.  No extras and no less.

But for the rest the raffle is the most fair way to do it.

..why wouldn't they open up that half and put the tickets out for sale?  Even something cheap like $10 would still put some money into their pockets.

Its basically set up like a concert. They have a fancy stage with the boards with the draft list and all that for TV. You wouldnt be able to see sh!t sitting up behind that. + there's insurance considerations in case of an emergency.

draft-bennet-topper.jpg

I dunno (edit: I think its Ottawa) where this is, but general idea. Why would you want to sit up behind that? Just to "be there"? 

It is Ottawa. Here is another view.

NHL-Draft.jpg

Edited by ghdi

Its basically set up like a concert. They have a fancy stage with the boards with the draft list and all that for TV. You wouldnt be able to see sh!t sitting up behind that. + there's insurance considerations in case of an emergency.

draft-bennet-topper.jpg

I dunno where this is, but general idea. Why would you want to sit up behind that? 

Ohh I see, I see.  I took 'half of the arena" to mean the upper bowl.  Thanks.

If I buy them off Stubhub, they HAVE to be legit, right?

Edit- I realize Stubhub is great for actual games, but this is a unique event

I don't think Stubhub will be selling them.  It's a free event so the Devils probably won't let them.

Also, the tickets in the STH accounts can't be forwarded through ticketmaster, so there's no assurance that someone emailing you the tickets isn't emailing the same copy to multiple people.

I don't think Stubhub will be selling them.  It's a free event so the Devils probably won't let them.

Also, the tickets in the STH accounts can't be forwarded through ticketmaster, so there's no assurance that someone emailing you the tickets isn't emailing the same copy to multiple people.

Nope.

When you go to StubHub and click the NHL Draft link this is what the website tells you:

"Because this is a free event we will not be offering tickets to this event. Please click here for a chance to get tickets. Thanks for choosing StubHub!"

I have no problem with STH getting a ticket for ticket bonus here (Odin knows they have earned it), and I understand from a database standpoint that the Devils are looking to increase their potential ticket sales base.  

But for someone who doesnt' really have the time to go to a game, and would love to share this experience with a hockey playing nephew or niece, this kind of sucks.

Bad news.

I think what he means is that the bottom bowl is going to be closed to guests as that will be taken up by the players their families and team employees.  All STH and raffle winners will be in the 100 and 200 sections and those will be GA.

I imagine this board will be different but I bet cruising Twitter on the day of the draft it'll be hilarious how many fans are there and are bored out of their heads by pick #15.

I've been saying that since the day we had the thing announced. Some people will really enjoy it, but its not an event for the casual fan. It can be buttnumbing and extremely boring unless you're with people that understand the event and why its important.

I'd be willing to bet 1/3rd of the fans attending will leave after the #9. The doors are opening relatively early cause of that outdoor fan fest and figure its going to take at least an hour to get to the #9. Its going to be a long day if you get there early.

Edited by ghdi

I imagine this board will be different but I bet cruising Twitter on the day of the draft it'll be hilarious how many fans are there and are bored out of their heads by pick #15.

Probably true. If I win the raffle or somehow get tickets another way, I'm planning on leaving after the Devils' second round pick which will end up being at least 4 hours. I guess that's what alcohol is for

Probably true. If I win the raffle or somehow get tickets another way, I'm planning on leaving after the Devils' second round pick which will end up being at least 4 hours. I guess that's what alcohol is for

You're a trooper.  I plan on leaving after the first round.

Bad news.

The lower bowl is closed because it is being used for draftees and their families, NHL personnel, league related invitees, etc.  The Devils only get the 100 and 200 levels to give out.

For anyone complaining about this process, just stop it.  If they sold tickets people would be crying that they are fleecing their fans to a nothing event.  This team absolutely can't win with some of its own fans.  They did the right thing by rewarding their most loyal customers first and raffling off the remainder so everyone who isn't a STH has the same opportunity as everyone else to get a ticket.  

Like someone said previously, there are likely to be a number of tickets put on this site as we get closer to the draft by STH's.  Patience is a virtue.