Kovalchuk Retired Effective Immediately?

GoArmySports

I Think I just re-lived my emotional roller-coaster of the last few hours by reading the following paragraphs of Lou's Wikipedia page (per the section titled Devils President and general manager":   I'm sorry, I've had a few scotches.

“Lou’s a model for our business. This is not just the best run franchise in the NHL, it’s the best-run franchise in pro sports,” says hockey executive Brian Burke.[6]

Lamoriello has been lauded by NHL commissioner Gary Bettman for his key role in bringing Soviet hockey stars, such as Viacheslav Fetisov and Sergei Starikov, to the NHL in the late 80’s. "Clearly he was one of the visionaries that understood there were highly talented hockey players in the former Soviet Union that could have a place in this league," said Bettman. It was one of the reasons cited by Bettman for Lamiorello’s 2009 induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame.[10]

He has fostered a “unique corporate culture” that has encouraged player loyalty. Martin Brodeur took below market contracts to stay with the Devils for years, and defenseman Ken Daneyko played all 1283 of his NHL games with the team.[11] “I like to think of my players as a family,” says Lamoriello. “And I like to think the success we’ve had through the years shows that the players value that as much as they do the Stanley Cups, knowing that the two go hand in hand.”[9]

When Lamoriello is asked the key to his success, he says it has been his systematic approach to player development. “It’s the team character this squad has . . . that you build on. I don’t ever use the word “rebuild.” “Based on my college background, I like to look at my roster as my seniors, juniors, sophomores and freshmen and gauge their development and roster turnover based on players going from one of those classes into the next. You have to build your staff and encourage them to be creative and realistic in their approach—and (not) be afraid to make a mistake. We stress that in drafting, player development, and coaching. You grow from your mistakes. I know I have.”[9]

• Like 1

At first when I heard Kovy retired I was shocked and bummed, but I'm not mad or anything. I'm a fan of this team because I was born in Jersey and I had to always hear from my relatives that New Jersey was New York's garbage dump and how the state was lesser. I'm not a fan because of the player, I' a fan because of the team that is a three time cup winner despite being the red headed step child of the NHL.

• Like 1

If you don think Washington is not watching this very closely after the remarks Ovie made during the lock out. He is another strong case of I'm home sick and money has nothing to do with its, ill wait a day to announce my move, Pittsburg, there are a lot of teams that need to watch this very closely. I hope we will be ok, the least he could have done was just retire last year!

I don't think they stop a guy from playing in Sochi, but we'll see about 2018.  I really don't think a player wants to challenge this.

I'd like to see the NHL use Sochi as a weapon. KHL owners have a financial interest in Sochi making money (since all the wealth in Russia is held by a small number of people who stand to profit from the Olympics). If the NHL wants to stop the KHL from tampering with their players, they should threaten to keep players home.

At first when I heard Kovy retired I was shocked and bummed, but I'm not mad or anything. I'm a fan of this team because I was born in Jersey and I had to always hear from my relatives that New Jersey was New York's garbage dump and how the state was lesser. I'm not a fan because of the player, I' a fan because of the team that is a three time cup winner despite being the red headed step child of the NHL.

Very well said.  And I'm very appreciative of the players like Marty, Dano, and Patty  who've made NJ their home throughout their careers.  Two of the three players entering the HHOF this year were drafted by NJ and played large parts of their careers here.  That's something to be proud of as a Devils fan. 

I'm disappointed in Kovy, but if he doesn't want to be here, I'd rather he leave.  Last thing we need is a very disgruntled very expensive player for the next decade or there about.

I'd like to see the NHL use Sochi as a weapon. KHL owners have a financial interest in Sochi making money (since all the wealth in Russia is held by a small number of people who stand to profit from the Olympics). If the NHL wants to stop the KHL from tampering with their players, they should threaten to keep players home.

I don't know if that would be a good idea. With the amount of players from different countries you'd have a huge clusterfvck on your hands and I doubt Daly or Bettman would want to do that after the lockout.

What the hell does Sochi care, it just increases the chance of Russia winning and it's not a unilateral decision by the NHL anyway.  It's a negotiation.

'The league' in this case is represented by the Devils. Daly said the league doesn't care because it's between a team and a player.

lol whatever. this is just going to get you even more riled and you're already at a level 9 panic at all times.

I'm talking about the KHL. The KHL doesn't give a sh!t. If Dynamo goes and offers Ovechkin $20m per + benefits and he "retires", there is nothing to stop him from playing for Dynamo. Sure, the Caps can say "WTF is this?", say no, and sue for damages, but where's the stick? The IIHF isn't going to let him play in Sochi? Sure they will when push comes to shove. They can't keep him from playing for Dynamo. The NHL says "fine, we're not sending the Canadians and Americans (the only two federations they have any power over)?" The PA may not agree with that and the other Euros may just take a leave to go play anyway.

I don't see what the actual sanction is for this, other than the relationship between the NHL and the IIHF and the NHL and the KHL deteriorating.

Hockey-wise, at least.

And you've hit the nail on the head. The Olympics is all that the Russian powers that be really care about, and who knows for how much longer. Ted Leonsis can run to court all he wants if Ovechkin tries to do the same thing. He might get an injunction from a US court that a Russian oligarch and a Russian citizen will ignore, because he certainly isn't getting anything like that in a Russian court. He can sue for damages, but whatever damages he could even prove, and actually enforce would not mean anything to a guy that's willing to spend $15 million a year for a hockey player that won't yield much of a return on investment so far as the bottom line is concerned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

And you've hit the nail on the head. The Olympics is all that the Russian powers that be really care about, and who knows for how much longer. Ted Leonsis can run to court all he wants if Ovechkin tries to do the same thing. He might get an injunction from a US court that a Russian oligarch and a Russian citizen will ignore, because he certainly isn't getting anything like that in a Russian court. He can sue for damages, but whatever damages he could even prove, and actually enforce would not mean anything to a guy that's willing to spend $15 million a year for a hockey player that won't yield much of a return on investment so far as the bottom line is concerned. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah, they can liquidate his townhouse, if he's not renting it.    And take his car(s) he doesn't ship back.   Whoopidy-do.     The Devils didn't fight it because it's not worth the sh!t and they'd have to carry his cap space around until it was "resolved".   What are they gonna do, take over his house in Alpine?   That'd probably just go to one of *their* creditors.  LOL

What the hell does Sochi care, it just increases the chance of Russia winning and it's not a unilateral decision by the NHL anyway.  It's a negotiation.

If the NHL doesn't let its players go, the Olympics become a minor league tournament, worth a hell of a lot less money.

Edited by mouse

We got kovalfvcked! I wonder if Bettman will do anything for us, a team he hates...

i still cannot believe this, and im still speachless.  i seriously can't believe this.

i guess here's the "russian factor"

fvck this is a heartbreak

Kind of how I feel, the more I try to rap my mind around it the more it sucks.  But I believe Lou will do everthing he can to get us back. It seems that we are always up against it and he seems to find a way. I hope he can do it again.

If the NHL doesn't let its players go, the Olympics become a minor league tournament, worth a hell of a lot less money.

The organizers don't care, the casuals don't know who anyone is and will watch it anyway.   And the NHL can't tell its players not to go, especially if there was an expectation of them going.  The PA has a say in that and the individual European players may decide "fvck it" and go over for a couple of weeks.

This is a blessing in disguise.

Kovalchuk had some of his worst years here. He is was improving defensively but was never a difficult player to play against.

In the short term the Devils are worse. But in the long term I believe the organization will be better by getting back to the team first approach that has been the key to the team's success.

So Zach went home, Rafalski went home, Clarkson went home and now kovalchuk went home... who's next? Loktionov? 

why can't Van Riemsdyk, Ryan, Carlson and wtv want to come back here... NJ really have to start producing more talent lol

(i know ryan was a flyers fan)

Fvck Kovy. In Lou we trust. That is all.

Yes on all above..

I am not surprised by any of this... We got Kovy's 3 best years, and we got out of a contract which will look worse each year. ...and the Devils' agree as you can see by letting him go so easily.

This hurst short term but will help long term... let a player who was a 25-30 goal scorer with a $6M (costs the team $10M in dollars) contract go ..

you betcha we would...

Makes sense for Kovy too.. play offense, no D, be a star and make much more $'s

• Like 1