I believe in our boys until we are mathematically eliminated

Renato Rodrigues

I can understand wanting to believe, and there's a part of me that's really hoping, but at this point, it's likely going to take 11-12 points in the next 6 GP to get in.  Add that to the last 5 games, and that means the Devils will have gone either 8-0-3 or 7-0-4 over their final 11 GP.  It's really hard to see them pulling this off.

The only "good" news is one regulation loss will almost definitely kill them.  At that point, I can finally uncouple myself emotionally from what is one of THE most maddening Devils teams in recent memory.

It's funny, last night was their entire damn season in one game.  Another tease, another glimmer of hope, and yet another game where they didn't do quite enough.  This team is forever coming up just short this season...people can point to the shootout futility, and clearly that has hurt them very badly, but there's also the blown-lead games, and the inability to do better against Islander and Sabre-type teams.  As far as this Islanders/Panthers/Sabres threesome went, I was asking for five points.  Of course, they only come up with four.     

It's not by being over optimistic to the point you're in denial that you're a better fan (by "you're" i don't mean you specifically, i mean in general).

I see a lot of posters being attacked of not being real fans for being down on the team at times or posters thinking they are the real deal simply cause they never give up on the team. I mean yeah we all know you should never give up on your team but at some point you have to take a step back and be able to see when it's over.

Agreed. Being irrational and blind to probability does not make anyone a better fan. It just makes you look silly. 

There's no reason to expect this team to make a strong final push when they've pissed away 4 of 6 points against three of the worst teams in the league in Florida, NY, and Buffalo in the past month. It's embarrassing to think of how many chances/opportunities to pick up ground in the standings that this team has pissed away.

They don't deserve the playoffs. And I honestly only feel bad for Jagr.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by Devilsfan118

There's no reason to expect this team to make a strong final push when they've pissed away 4 of 6 points against two of the teams in the league in Florida and Buffalo. It's embarrassing to think of how many chances/opportunities to pick up ground in the standings that this team has pissed away.

They don't deserve the playoffs. And I honestly only feel bad for Jagr.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You are 100% right, they had a LOT of things break nicely for them, in terms of help, and they've responded by going 10-9-5 in their last 24 and 3-4-3 in their last 10.  Not nearly good enough.  

You are 100% right, they had a LOT of things break nicely for them, in terms of help, and they've responded by going 10-9-5 in their last 24 and 3-4-3 in their last 10.  Not nearly good enough.  

Agree as well.  We don't deserve the playoffs.

I wouldn't go as far as saying we don't deserve the playoffs, I mean look at Detroit or Toronto- one of them will get in with less ROW and worse goal differential (right now Detroit is just one better than us but that's due to phantom shootout goals).

I wouldn't go as far as saying we don't deserve the playoffs, I mean look at Detroit or Toronto- one of them will get in with less ROW and worse goal differential (right now Detroit is just one better than us but that's due to phantom shootout goals).

Detroit above all deserves the playoffs, missing some of the best players in the world for such extended periods of time and still being competitive every night.    Detroit is going to be the X-factor in the playoffs, especially with Babcock at the helm.

The Maple Laughs will blow this yet.

For one, there's no way Toronto's getting in. I'm pretty sure it's Columbus and Detroit going in, we can call it a wrap there.

However, you're right, it is a testament to how bad SO MANY Eastern Conference (mainly Metro Division) teams were this season. Any other year, the record the Devils have would land us in 12-14th in the East. A few shootout wins and the league media would be talking about the success story that is this year's "Jagr's Devils". Super frustrating.

Detroit above all deserves the playoffs, missing some of the best players in the world for such extended periods of time and still being competitive every night. Detroit is going to be the X-factor in the playoffs, especially with Babcock at the helm.

The Maple Laughs will blow this yet.

I knew this response was coming, and I agree Detroit has definitely fought adversity to make it where they are and good for them, but just because they over performed IMO doesn't mean that they "deserve" the playoffs.

Shootout goals don't count towards the goal differential.  It's the total game score that counts, so if a game goes to a shootout the one and only differential that will always happen is +1/-1 respectively.

I knew this response was coming, and I agree Detroit has definitely fought adversity to make it where they are and good for them, but just because they over performed IMO doesn't mean that they "deserve" the playoffs.

It doesn't?  How else would you say someone 'deserves' to be there?  I would say teams that deserve to be there are the teams that make it, plain and simple, but you could go further and say someone that doesn't make it perhaps but still 'deserved' to be there was for instance a team that wasn't expected to be very good at all, but overachieved despite certain obstacles (i.e. injuries, lack of overall talent or depth, etc)

Devils just need to win 5 of their last 6.  5-0-1 would be ideal.  But 5-1-0 should be just enough as well.  They've played great hockey since their last loss to Tampa.  7 of a possible 10 points is excellent.  But they need to do slightly better than a .700 points percentage the rest of the way to make it.  The Devils need to just keep putting forth their best efforts, and eventually their luck will change.  They were crazy unlucky last night.  Devils dominated Buffalo.

Detroit's also had a million injuries and are still way ahead of our mostly healthy team.

Devils just need to win 5 of their last 6.  5-0-1 would be ideal.  But 5-1-0 should be just enough as well.  They've played great hockey since their last loss to Tampa.  7 of a possible 10 points is excellent.  But they need to do slightly better than a .700 points percentage the rest of the way to make it.  The Devils need to just keep putting forth their best efforts, and eventually their luck will change.  They were crazy unlucky last night.  Devils dominated Buffalo.

In order for us to get in at 11 more points we'd need to be A) Stellar and B) someone ahead of us would have to have a collapse. Too many variables. Not a chance.

Well even with 10 it wouldn't take a TOTAL collapse by Columbus (they'd have to go 3-3 or 2-3-1 depending on regulation wins) and their next two games are at Philly and against Chicago.  Problem is it seems like whatever the Devils need, they're destined to come in just under it.  If they need nine to make it they'll probably get 7 or 8.

This is the problem. You make it sound so damn easy and that the Devils could do it if they wanted to. 

It doesn't?  How else would you say someone 'deserves' to be there?  I would say teams that deserve to be there are the teams that make it, plain and simple, but you could go further and say someone that doesn't make it perhaps but still 'deserved' to be there was for instance a team that wasn't expected to be very good at all, but overachieved despite certain obstacles (i.e. injuries, lack of overall talent or depth, etc)

I never said Detroit doesn't deserve it and I agree completely with you. I only argued against the idea that the devils don't deserve it.

Shootout goals don't count towards the goal differential.  It's the total game score that counts, so if a game goes to a shootout the one and only differential that will always happen is +1/-1 respectively.

this is correct, and the wings are -3 in shootout "goals" the devils are -11. If you eliminate the phantom goal that is added via the shoutout, the devils have a better goal differential. This isn't really the point though, I'm just trying to point out that saying the devils don't deserve the playoffs Isn't saying much in the astern conference, because using that logic there are many teams in the east that don't deserve the playoffs, including whoever the two wild card winners are.

I know this is a little off topic but it kind of has to do with us being eliminated.... Watching Det vs Bos now and it was 2-1 Boston with 10min left in the 3rd... 8min later I turn the game back on and its 3-2 Detroit. Figures. We can't catch a break either from ourselves or our competition. Season basically over since we had a better chance of catching Detroit than Columbus due to the ROW and this was one of the games I was hoping for them to lose based on the strength of their remaining schedule. Here's to 2014-15!

I just bought my first round tickets!

This is the problem. You make it sound so damn easy and that the Devils could do it if they wanted to.

I think as much as the shootouts have killed us, consistent goal scoring and general consistency have been the reason we're not in the playoffs. I don't think we've had a single 3-game winning streak this season. 5 wins in 6 games is possible in this league, but it would take some big stepping up, and we just haven't seen it all year.

I think as much as the shootouts have killed us, consistent goal scoring and general consistency have been the reason we're not in the playoffs. I don't think we've had a single 3-game winning streak this season. 5 wins in 6 games is possible in this league, but it would take some big stepping up, and we just haven't seen it all year.

I'm pretty sure we had one or two 3 game win streaks this year, but definitely no 4 or more, and yes, that has been the problem.  We've been consistently inconsistent.  Win two, lose two, win one, lose one.  I think that's why it's seemed like such a frustrating year for people because that back and forth crap seemingly every week has made it seem like the season has just DRAGGGGED on.  Couple that with the fact that there was an Olympic break in the middle, and the mere fact that they're toying with our emotions by hanging around in the playoff hunt until the damn never last game of the season, and you can see why people feel like this year is the worst in recent memory.