GDT: Winnipeg Jets @ New Jersey Devils 5PM

Zubie#8

I just want to say that I finally got to take some leave, and I dragged my ass up to Jersey, then I took a train to DC, road tripped back to Jersey, for what was likely the only two games I could make it to all season... and they were absolutely terrible games. I think the game in Washington was worse, but tonight was terrible.

I'm one sad Devils fan tonight...

Also, can anyone explain why we do not utilize technology in hockey? What's the point of replay if we can't use it to review obvious blown calls? Stupid

Edited by Steven M.

I think Marty getting hurt in warm ups tonight had a lot to do with the teams psyche going into the game.

Hedberg has given up 14 goals in 3 games now.

If the injury to Marty is worse then expected (because we all know how "status quo" Lou can be)  I think Wedgewood should be given a shot. I would love to see what he can bring. Can't be much worse then Hedberg not being able to stop jack. Wedge is supposed to be our top goalie prospect & I think he should get some NHL experience if the opportunity comes his way. More so then Frazee...

Edited by TheMazz

If the injury to Marty is worse then expected (because we all know how "status quo" Lou can be)  I think Wedgewood should be given a shot. I would love to see what he can bring. Can't be much worse then Hedberg not being able to stop jack. Wedge is supposed to be our top goalie prospect & I think he should get some NHL experience if the opportunity comes his way. More so then Frazee...

I love Wedge's potential, but he is nowhere near NHL ready. If anyone gets the call, it'll probably be Kinkaid.

As for Frazee, I think his chance is gone. Poor guy could just never stay healthy back when he was the only real prospect. That first AHL year, it really looked like he was taking the step, but then it was injury after injury. Then Kinkaid, Wedge, and Clermont were added, and he got passed over.

If the injury to Marty is worse then expected (because we all know how "status quo" Lou can be) I think Wedgewood should be given a shot. I would love to see what he can bring. Can't be much worse then Hedberg not being able to stop jack. Wedge is supposed to be our top goalie prospect & I think he should get some NHL experience if the opportunity comes his way. More so then Frazee...

Indeed.

Marty & Debour were both interviewed & said this wasn't a big deal injury but it was also stated this happened "last week"..?

Uh ok. So it's going on what, 5 days then? I think that is a big deal in my opinion.

I've heard some good things and bad things about Wedgewood. One of them being what was stated by someone else in this thread that he "wasn't NHL ready" yet. If that's the case don't you believe a trade would be in order?

The Devils are going to need another good goalie sooner than later anyway..why not go after Johnathan Quicks back up?

I say if things get really bad the Devils should just go for it and try to pick up a better back up goalie through trade.

Hedberg played great the first 10 games of the season and he hasnt been awful as the team has left him out to dry but he's an awful puck handler and will be gone next year anyway, correct?

Trade Los Angeles some D men (they need them & our D looks lame anyway) and a prospect, maybe throw JJ or someone in there, I dunno.

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3

could be it... but also, and people will deny it saying we lost Nieds, stevens, rafalski and played half a season without parise and everything... and that we stayed a good team in the past.

But fact is we're missing Parise a lot, not a single fan would want his contract but we're missing what he was bringing. Anyone saying it's no big deal is butt hurt and in complete denial, he was named captain, means he was the leader of the team, the coach called him the heart and soul of the team, he was playing on our PP (always thought he was misused on our PP but was still a solid player on it, was playing on our PK and was a hell to play against, was our best forechecker which is what we're relying on 90% of the game, he was good defensively, he was backchecking like a mad man and he was getting those dirty goals and was making good plays. And he was one of our top player for the shootouts.

Again most will disagree just cause they don't want to admit it but it's true. Zach was the definition of our system and the best overall player and he's gone. Some we're saying Travis production would cover for zach's departure... well so much for that... Clarkson's production is clarkson production... last year we had both. We're plugging players in Zach's role that cant do the job plus we're injured and missing Zubs and Carter who we're also big forecheckers.

so bottom line, fvck you Zach.

Get over it with Zach.  Everyone knew it was going to hurt losing him...Lou admitted as much.  But it happens, and it doesn't make much sense to pine for someone that we'll never have again.  Zach is gone forever.  Devils already have one ridiculous contract on their books in Kovy's.  I'm glad they didn't add another. 

It's a slump right now, and yes, the Devils are prone to losing ugly on occasion (three 5-1 losses this season).  So far, the oddest number to me is Zajac having just two assists through 19 GP, but I can't expect that to continue.  And though Clarkson was a great story to start the season (and still is, if you think about it), he was due to slow up.  What does this mean going forward?  I'm thinking the Devils will probably be around a .500 team over the next 15 games or so, unless Kovy or someone else goes on a rampage, or one or both goalies get hot.  I can't expect Clarkson to provide any more goal-scoring than he already has...I think he already went on his rampage for the season.  Right now he's on pace for 25 goals, and I don't think he'll finish with that many. 

I just want to say that I finally got to take some leave, and I dragged my ass up to Jersey, then I took a train to DC, road tripped back to Jersey, for what was likely the only two games I could make it to all season... and they were absolutely terrible games. I think the game in Washington was worse, but tonight was terrible.

Also, can anyone explain why we do not utilize technology in hockey? What's the point of replay if we can't use it to review obvious blown calls? Stupid

Sorry to hear that man.. Don't lose faith, just come back during a hot streak.. If you PM me ahead of time I can even try to get you some discounted tix..

The replay thing, yeah I mean a review on that would have been nice.. I guess there are several factors playing into it, like that they don't want to have to replay everything and slow the game.. But really, that ref is just a ****ing moron who failed miserably to do his job.. He was looking right at the play and yet was oblivious to it.. But the League reviews all of that stuff with its refs and also grades them, so you can bet he won't get into big games later in the season

Heehee -- You're all going mental on me! :boogie:

I was thinking on the way in to work that we all knew it wasn't a first in the division team - but who cares winning is good. 

I think we all sort of agreed that winning is tricky because it's not representative of the teams true arsenal and when you look back none of us can really TELL what the team actually has.  That's fine in terms of then no one else in the league does either  :P  but it's really hard to build confidence on something you're unsure of.

I think the slump is the team trying to become sure.  MY problem with the team is that in the past (pre-DeBoer) they've gotten really bogged down with feeling like losers or frauds or flukes or I dont know what.  I'm not there so I dont know but they had no real confidence.  i don't see that team as being in that spot right now.  I think they're just trying to get vision - ensure no rose colored glasses are going to hamper them come playoffs. I feel pretty secure and proud of our forwards - just keep them focused and I dont see any real problems.

I think that a lot of our talk about what's going on with individuals on ice - your second guessing about what some guys are thinking or trying to do is actually really helpful.

The bottom line from all of your observations is: we have a scared team.  Forwards I'm not worried about - they will be told and they will understand they are that good and it's OK to be confident in that knowledge.  I do not think it's healthy to mess with our support line's psyche is they're are playing - I dont give a rat's weenus if Stephen Gionta is on a line that manages to pull some good minutes out of their ass - De Boer isn't some kind of jerk that will accept that as quality regular major minutes.  His focus won't get pulled, mostly because he appears to really trust his coaching staff. He's not a micro-manager and things aren't going to get lost on him.  We can write about it when there's nothing else to discuss - but it's a manufactured issue.

Our defence is an issue.  You all can tell me I'm wrong - maybe I need to hear that.  But they are playing scared.. while walking ot the office I was thinking, man I'd just love to shoot pucks at the dorks - just what's the worst that can happen if you fully commit to your OWN game?  If you dont tweek on the fly to avoid some other a$$holes games - you're not going to get hurt.  You know... but then some assface goes and shoots a puck at Fayne and it's easy for them to think "whaa but they DO want to hurt me  Eak!!" (not Fayne - but our other more timid mature D who kind of just dont want to go to that physically painful place because who needs that sh!t after 33?)

We have an old man mindset on our D.  No this is not a slam at Scott Stevens gramps thing - not at all what I'm getting at.  Our D is overly cautious - but not from over-thinking.  They're playing like they're scared of feeling pain.  There isn't the balance between vet common sense and youthful zeal.  Our vets don't want to feel pain and it's a bad habit.  I regularly cringe when I touch a file cabinet that always gives me a static zap.  I dont think about it -- I just pause and wait for the inevitable shock and then move on... and that cringe in a hockey game is enough to lose the game --- it just is.  It's the same thing - that Oh for fvcks sake I do not need a little zap when i have a fvcking game to play.  But that's the WHOLE fvckING POINT!  You're going to get zapped so you stop and let the other guy play his game???  Just nonsense. It makes me hate our pussified D.  <_<

I dont know what these guys are like but they need to find a strong motivation to PLAY.  They do not have a real goal or purpose so they get distracted by fear of teeny painful things.  "ouchies!" is distracting from playing the game of hockey.  Seriously.  It's good to be understanding and work with the vets but this is bad .  A-train needs to sit and take a game to grow a set.  Salvadore needs to take a game and dip his set in brass.  Tallinder needs to understanding what it is he's doing and accept it and CHANGE.  It's not hard.  DeBoer needs to motivate the guys -- get their minds back on playing hockey not being afraid.  You can't have ALL THREE saving themselves for the playoffs.  The youngsters dont deserve calm cool FALSE leadership.  They need real leadership and real hockey. 

emotsiren6cn.gifPEPPERKORN SIDEBAR emotsiren6cn.gifWhat gives with Harrold? Ddi he play this weekend?  :blush:  yeah -- I missed both games :blush:  Why has he not really been around?  Is he a happy guy?  Is he an ass?  Ahhhh... he's from Cleveland... now - Cleveland is a complicated place for verbal communication.... it's almost Mogilny-esque. I wonder if he has what appears to be a loser mentality.  It's NOT REAL!  If someone got the idea that he's reticent or negative or overly realistic.... it's not true.  Clevelanders are ultra competitive hard workers that can wax pretty deadpan negative.  If that's what's keeping him out -- get his ass up to the big leagues PRONTO! Then try to get him into humor mode ( as long as it doesn't slip into inanity) - it's the only way to tolerate the Cleveland mindset.  Even my husband sees how accurate I am on this point.  He gets so annoyed at Ohio guys -- he now knows to say -- Hey are you from Ohio?  and the minute he gets that yes, all is forgiven and he's got a good friend.

I think DeBoer put it best about our season thus far. “I don’t think we’re as bad as our record over the last five or six games indicates and I think we weren’t as good as our record was through the first six or seven games indicated. That’s the best way I can word it.”

Oh see?  Now I didn't see this -- this is perfect.  I hate how much I'm starting to like DeBoer.

Edited by Pepperkorn

Sorry to hear that man.. Don't lose faith, just come back during a hot streak.. If you PM me ahead of time I can even try to get you some discounted tix..

The replay thing, yeah I mean a review on that would have been nice.. I guess there are several factors playing into it, like that they don't want to have to replay everything and slow the game.. But really, that ref is just a ****ing moron who failed miserably to do his job.. He was looking right at the play and yet was oblivious to it.. But the League reviews all of that stuff with its refs and also grades them, so you can bet he won't get into big games later in the season

Ah it's not losing faith man, it's location, gotta go back to Florida this upcoming weekend... Finally moving back to Jersey in June so unless they are still playing in June then these were the only two I could make. Yeah, when I move back up even if they were 0-15 I'd still be there every game that I didnt have work!! Edited by Steven M.

yeah i was supposed to go see a show in Toronto on friday and then go see them play against the Leafs Monday after but i cancelled the whole thing. would have cost near $1000+ and i would have missed like 3 days of work and by the way they are playing lately there's no fvcking way i take the risk to see them sh&#33;t the bed after i dropped that much money for one game.

I love Wedge's potential, but he is nowhere near NHL ready. If anyone gets the call, it'll probably be Kinkaid.

As for Frazee, I think his chance is gone. Poor guy could just never stay healthy back when he was the only real prospect. That first AHL year, it really looked like he was taking the step, but then it was injury after injury. Then Kinkaid, Wedge, and Clermont were added, and he got passed over.

And what makes you think Kinkaid is ready for the NHL? I always liked the J. Bernier to the Devils ideas. The guy was supposed to be LA's number one until Quick turned out to be Quick. He has NHL experience, has been amazing the few times he's played this year, is starter ready right now...etc. I love Wedge's potential too but what if he doesn't pan out? Same with Kinky. Bernier just seems like a "sure thing" goalie wise that can be had for pretty cheap. (Well not "cheap" but it's not like Bernier would fetch a king's randsom")

And what makes you think Kinkaid is ready for the NHL? I always liked the J. Bernier to the Devils ideas. The guy was supposed to be LA's number one until Quick turned out to be Quick. He has NHL experience, has been amazing the few times he's played this year, is starter ready right now...etc. I love Wedge's potential too but what if he doesn't pan out? Same with Kinky. Bernier just seems like a "sure thing" goalie wise that can be had for pretty cheap. (Well not "cheap" but it's not like Bernier would fetch a king's randsom")

i'd be all for that, its really risky to just expect Wedge and Kinkaid to be our 2 goalies in 2 years, god knows if they'll be ready. then what do you do? what if theres no goalies on the market? 

i'd take a chance and if Wedge and Kinkaid pan out, well its certainly not a bad problem to have to have too many good goalies, you do like the kings and you trade one for parts which we may need.

I think DeBoer put it best about our season thus far. “I don’t think we’re as bad as our record over the last five or six games indicates and I think we weren’t as good as our record was through the first six or seven games indicated. That’s the best way I can word it.”

He's spot on considering the Devils have 10 wins and 9 losses.

The Devils were fortunate enough to get 4 points out of those 9 losses.

They are an average team with an awful PK and some important injuries in my opinion.

Losing Zach is catching up with them now along with their older goaltenders unfortunately.

Hmehh...  thing of it is: sure Parise is skilled and all -- but he was a part of a team.  He was always a key component to the losing teams (as in one of the few guys saving the team from COMPLETE humiliation) and actually not clearly an integral single piece of the teams winning. He's a really talented hard working positive force on the team.  But he wasn't the be all end all and I can't tell you what we're really missing from his departure.  It's intangible I understand -- but it's just not at all insurmountable and I dont see that his being gone causes a slide.  We all watched him on our sh&#33;ttiest teams... so he can stop this now?  Not one thing he ever did convinces me of that.  Nothing that he's doing on the Wild now convinces me of that.

but -- if you all need to think that - well he's a fine player to think it about.  :evil:

No one knows if he is yet, but he's closer than Wedge. He's 3 years older, and he's had a season and a half of AHL experience plus decent numbers with a bad Albany team. The time is coming for him to get a shot at the NHL and see what he can do. Marty's back injury is a perfect time to do that, since he should only be out a week or so. Why would they call up Wedge for that? And why trade for Bernier when you have 2 goalies with NTC's and +35 contracts signed through the end of next season? Once Brodeur is back, you'd have 3 NHL goalies.

Of course they will need someone eventually, but right now acquiring Bernier would eat a roster spot because he's beyond the AHL. He's an RFA in July, so I highly doubt he'd be willing to take a step back and sit in the AHL next season and wait around. Meanwhile, we have Kinkaid already and he doesn't need to pass through waivers, so why not see what he can do while we have a chance?

We're not missing Parise's intangibles, we're missing his skill. 35-40 goal scorers/75-85 point players don't grow on trees.

And yet he still wasn't the source of the team winning.  How's the Wild doing?

He's Joe Sakic light.  He's got skill, great attitude - but he's not the Man.  He's just not.  He'll win with the team and lose with the team.  He's not the guy making it happen.  Nothing would be markedly different on this team if he was here. 

You are correct though -- we don't miss his intangibles because the fact is - he's got none.  He needs to find his intangibles.  I was just being polite.  :)

Here's the thing -- I loved him on the team -- and I think he's just swell on the Wild too.  Great hockey guy --  true Lady Byng material.  Like Joe Sakic .. and yet I HATED THE EVERLOVING sh&#33;t OUT OF BALLSAKIC!  Just dont get that fired up about Zach.

Edited by Pepperkorn

He wasn't the cause of the team winning but they'd absolutely be better with him on the first line as opposed to Matteau/Butler.

I agree the state of mind would be a little better for the coaching staff. Anxiety levels would be a lot lower,  but the record I dont think would be one bit different -- except maybe Hedberg's GAA. :giggle:

:mellow:

:tomato:

Edited by Pepperkorn