How is everyone doing

stevestevens

I think it woudl be good to jsut have a thread just to reflect on life.

Ill start it off. Ive been stressing over class, i just finished a 8 page ap-physics report on how a humidified baseball absorbs the shock and dosent go as far when hit compared to a normal regulation one. Ive been typing that up and listening to Wilco's, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, to relax out a bit.

So how is everyone else doing?

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it woudl be good to jsut have a thread just to reflect on life.

Ill start it off. Ive been stressing over class, i just finished a 8 page ap-physics report on how a humidified baseball absorbs the shock and dosent go as far when hit compared to a normal regulation one. Ive been typing that up and listening to Wilco's, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, to relax out a bit.

So how is everyone else doing?

Great CD. Much better than the current one unfortunately.

I just worked a long closing shift and go in at 8 AM for a 9 hour truck shift, so I'm beat and about to get beater. And I start school again for the first time in twoish years tomorrow evening.

You do realize this thread is not so much going to be a quiet reflection on life as it is going to turn into a place to whine about life, right?

I'm actually doing pretty well. I'm in the process of buying a new car -- a silver 2007 VW Beetle -- and I'm going to a friend's wedding on Friday. (Who the hell gets married on a Friday?)

Oh, and The Daily Show just came on, so that's good too. :)

Edited by RowdyFan42

Eh I'm still applying for jobs in Public Relations/Communications/Publicity etc and have not heard from anyone yet.... and I have to start paying back my loans in October---which is rapidly approaching. I am probably going to go get a job at a temp agency (that offers medical benefits because those go away in Dec.) or get a job at Starbucks. I'm beginning to wonder if I should just go back to school to become a teacher. I think I would like to d that. Truthfully, I don't know what I really want to do. I like PR, but am I going to like it when I have to make it my lifelong career? Honestly the problem with me is that the idea of being in a career--in a job--and working for the rest of my life is scary. That and I truly have no idea what my "passion" is anymore. When people ask, "If money didn't matter what would you want to do?" I have no answer. I have no idea. Also, on a shallow note I've gained 8-10lbs since graduation and only two pairs of jeans fit --I refuse to go buy more clothes until I lose weight. Hah.

Besides that, I've been in a rut where I sleep until noon, watch TV, sometimes go to the gym, and send out resumes in my sweatpants for the rest of the day. It's super depressing. I'm going to try to get up by 9, go to the gym, shower, and come home and put on real clothes.

I don't go out on the weekends because two of my good friends from home moved away to Boston & Ann Arbor. The rest of my "friends" from HS have stopped talking to me. (Ever since the "I'll pay you to drink incident" --I started a thread where I vented about that on here actually) So yeah my weekends are filled with watching TV/going out to dinner with my parents. The other friend that I talk to here has been hanging out with the group that is no longer including me so therefore I don't get to see her. I don't get to go out and have fun--I don't meet any new people... blah. I've gone from college where I was always around people. I lived with my friends. There was always something to do even if it wasn't particularly fun. I felt like I had a purpose. I even liked learning/being in class---well most of them. Life just sucks at the moment and what makes it worse that I don't even know if getting a job will make it better. I have been really down lately and have cried at the littlest thing. I'm just not in a good place right now I guess. It's scaring me a little to be frank.

Edited by LA03

As tough as it may be, you got to always keep moving. Theres always something better because those who try are atleast helping themselves in some way. I cant say i know everything as im probably one of the youngest posters here but any way you put it, i was always told just to keep pushing even when the tides pulling you out the sea.

Eh I'm still applying for jobs in Public Relations/Communications/Publicity etc and have not heard from anyone yet.... and I have to start paying back my loans in October---which is rapidly approaching. I am probably going to go get a job at a temp agency (that offers medical benefits because those go away in Dec.) or get a job at Starbucks. I'm beginning to wonder if I should just go back to school to become a teacher. I think I would like to d that. Truthfully, I don't know what I really want to do. I like PR, but am I going to like it when I have to make it my lifelong career? Honestly the problem with me is that the idea of being in a career--in a job--and working for the rest of my life is scary. That and I truly have no idea what my "passion" is anymore. When people ask, "If money didn't matter what would you want to do?" I have no answer. I have no idea. Also, on a shallow note I've gained 8-10lbs since graduation and only two pairs of jeans fit --I refuse to go buy more clothes until I lose weight. Hah.

Besides that, I've been in a rut where I sleep until noon, watch TV, sometimes go to the gym, and send out resumes in my sweatpants for the rest of the day. It's super depressing. I'm going to try to get up by 9, go to the gym, shower, and come home and put on real clothes.

I don't go out on the weekends because two of my good friends from home moved away to Boston & Ann Arbor. The rest of my "friends" from HS have stopped talking to me. (Ever since the "I'll pay you to drink incident" --I started a thread where I vented about that on here actually) So yeah my weekends are filled with watching TV/going out to dinner with my parents. The other friend that I talk to here has been hanging out with the group that is no longer including me so therefore I don't get to see her. I don't get to go out and have fun--I don't meet any new people... blah. I've gone from college where I was always around people. I lived with my friends. There was always something to do even if it wasn't particularly fun. I felt like I had a purpose. I even liked learning/being in class---well most of them. Life just sucks at the moment and what makes it worse that I don't even know if getting a job will make it better. I have been really down lately and have cried at the littlest thing. I'm just not in a good place right now I guess. It's scaring me a little to be frank.

First step, to get yourself out of your rut, try to get on a different schedule: Get up at 730am, shower, dress good, it will make you feel better...eat good etc...get yourself in a positive frame of mind. If you cannot do that, how can you be completely confident and positive for an interview? So take care of #1 first and foremost...

As for finding a job, believe me, that 1st job out of college is not easy...heck, I got into the IT field, which I did NOT go to school for....advice: Think outside the box...and hey, if you have to work for a place like Starbucks for awhile, there are worse things, you would probably get benefits I imagine and you will have income coming in and that is a start.

And as for your issues with your friends, you will start to make new friends when you enter your career....so in closing, go for what you dream to do, part of me regrets to this day that i did not stick with my dream and I followed the money. I still regret that 11 years later.

I'm doing well. I work in a hospital. When I am bummed I have a quick fix. I simply go for a short walk and view a few things.....1) A quick walk through the Oncolgy ward reminds me of just how lucky I am. 2) As keeper of the morgue, I have a constant reminder of the fact that we all end up there someday.

All of a sudden life and it's associated ups and downs (struggles to pay bills, girlfriend troubles) don't seem to be a big deal.

When things get to be too much.....have a big cold glass of :koolaid: !

I've personally gone through the friend transition phase of my life twice already... it does really really suck I can agree on that... but once you do start finding new friends (even if they are from starbucks B ) ).. you'll find these friends may be more real and have much more substance then the party crowd you knew in college, and you won't even miss them... honest!!

The job thing is ROUGH... I was lucky enough to be able to do my own thing and still sleep till 10 some days and still be okay with it... but it was more a neccesity of me having money coming in from customers I took from the old job and the fact no one was responding to my resumes being sent out en masse... and something I learned tonight from this guy I may be doing some work with.. FOLLOW UP on your resumes... he told me tonight he didn't get back to ANY who sent a resume unless they followed up... "I don't wanna hire anyone who doesn't want to be here bad enough to ask twice".. so keep that in mind :)

Things are going alright for me. Just started my third year at Rutgers last week. I'm taking 15 credits which is the most I've ever had, guess I'm not in any sort of rush to graduate. It kinda sucks though because almost all of my classes are a 20 minute bus ride away from my dorm and sometimes I have to wait even longer than that just for it to get to the bus stop. Kind of a pain in the ass but not the worst thing in the world I guess. My roommate never showed up so I have the room to myself for now, which is pretty boring but better than last year since my roommate was the most boring guy in the world. At least now I have the whole room to myself.

Edited by brodeurrocks

Eh I'm still applying for jobs in Public Relations/Communications/Publicity etc and have not heard from anyone yet.... and I have to start paying back my loans in October---which is rapidly approaching. I am probably going to go get a job at a temp agency (that offers medical benefits because those go away in Dec.) or get a job at Starbucks. I'm beginning to wonder if I should just go back to school to become a teacher. I think I would like to d that. Truthfully, I don't know what I really want to do. I like PR, but am I going to like it when I have to make it my lifelong career? Honestly the problem with me is that the idea of being in a career--in a job--and working for the rest of my life is scary.