-Eagles vs Giants -- Giants

-Falcons vs Panthers -- Panthers

-Titans vs Colts -- Colts

-Giants vs Panthers -- Panthers

-Colts vs Panthers -- Colts

Having to stuff a preview in the middle of a thread :rant:

CMON FOOTBALLERS!!!

You knew I was gonna do this :P

So anyway, since the football is dying down (only 11 games left :evilcry: :evilcry: ) .. might as well put a cap on the NFL Season as well... it's the one sport that gets less fun as the playoffs hit... so I figured this year I'd comment on who I think deserves the end of season awards.....

NFL MVP:

Chad Pennington, QB-Miami

Yeah people suck up to Peyton, but he did his normal stuff with his stacked offense around him... and still they took half the season off (it's a FULL YEAR AWARD, much like my rage at JiggyPout and the Connsolation Smythe Award!)....Chad took a team from 1-15, to 11-5, the best turnaround in NFL History and a Division Title, season highs in passing yards and TDs and his offense only turned the ball over 13 times... that's a Favre (or Romo) HALF folks!!! No one meant more to their team then Chad (I'd say Drew Brees but we had this debate before :P)

NFL Offensive Player of the Year:

Drew Brees, QB-Saints

16 yards from the unbreakable Dan Marino (and that last pass had a SHOT), and he did it on a team with a worthless and hurt Shockey, no Reggie Bush... 4 games without Colston... and stiffs like Lance Moore... no player did more with less and excelled then Drew Brees, who could be the most underrated QB in the NFL right now bar none!

NFL Defensive Player of the Year:

James Harrison, LB-Steelers

(no it's not DeMarcus Ware... fake sack stats or not... you show up in the last two games when it counts and we'll talk!)... when you look for the league's best defensive player... you start on the league's best defense... and no team swarmed the offense with more fury then the Steelers all year long, and when you get 16 sacks and force 7 fumbles :blink: ... you're a helluva reason why... it's harder to pick the defensive player of the year cause you really need to see lots of every team and every play, so I might be coping out some... and I did consider Joey Porter as well... seemed like too much Dolphin love....

NFL Coach of the Year

Bill Belicheck, Patriots

Love him or hate him, this may have been his finest year of coaching EVER... most teams would have curled up and died when Tom Brady went down in the First Quarter of Game 1.... not this team...and yeah it helps to have Moss and Welker, but you can imagine how many teams Moss would have mutinied on by now... not to mention the injuries at RB... Marhoney (who gets hurt putting his cleats on)... Morris, Jordan... hell they got 100 yard games out of Ben-Jarvis Green-Ellis! And not to mention the patchwork defensive unit he was putting out there... he went from genius to cheating weasel and now he's back to genius again!

NFL Comeback of the Year

Chad Pennington.... see above.....

NFL Rookie of the Year

Matt Ryan, QB-Atlanta... took a 2 win team to the playoffs... and made Roddy White into a star... yeah he had help, but he did more with less....though the runner-up (Flacco) had less on offense he had the 2nd best defense in purple in the NFL!

NFL Disappointment of the Year

(damn this is tough... people will say Favre but I said it on day one he did NOT make this team better)

so much to chose from... the Denver collapse, the Bengals drop to the toilet... I could say the Lions, but the 0-16 became kinda fun in the end....the Packers, but that was injury....same with Seattle...Washington fell right off the map too....Jacksonville went from Super Bowl to the draft clock.... (wow there was a lot of bad in the NFL)... but when your mantra is Super Bowl or Bust and you don't even make Wild Card game.... and YOU DON'T INSTANTLY FIRE THE COACH AND HIS AWFUL STAFF??? Yeah... you knew this was gonna be the Cowboys :P

and here just for fun and accuracy... I'm going to post my pre-season predictions on records and compare them to what happened:

AFC East:

Pats (14-2)... who knew Brady would die??

Jets (8-8) no I am NOT convinced Favre makes the Jets better (give me a smart QB with a "Dead Arm"

(again which is bullsh!t... you don't make the NFL without being able to throw down the field... unless you are

Brad Johnson) over the moron QB with a "Live Arm", and rest assured Brett in his best days was still a DUMB

QB) but with the Favre bashing aside... the Jets DID get better... and Thomas Jones will have a good year

behind the billion dollar O-Line they pumped out there... the defense is better... and they are due for a bit of

a bounce-back after last year's sweet debacle! But I still don't think Favre is the right guy to put them in the

playoffs (he makes as many dumb plays in the big spot as good ones at times and he will cost the Jets games

this year... and people will shrug and go "it's just Brett".... you bet your ass it is!

(yeah.. nailed it!)

Bills (8-8)

Miami (7-9)... people said I was nuts... and I was... I sold them short :P

AFC North:

Steelers (10-6)

Browns (7-9)

Bengals (7-9)... again Carson Palmer killed any feel on this team

Ravens (6-10)... thank you Browns and Bengals for being bad for them to fatten up on :rant:

AFC South:

Colts (11-5) WINNER!

Jags (11-5) ... not so good

Titans (8-8)...wow :blink:, amazing what Kerry Collins did ain't it?

Texans (8-8) WINNER!!

AFC West:

Chargers (12-4)... mark my words if Merriman was healthy they would be and considered AB Favorites

Denver (8-8) not to mention a slightly overrated defense that has the secondary but lacks pass

rush to be effective)...hopefully finally this is the damn year they fire this arrogant weasel

and get this franchise on the right path!!!!... nailed that eh?

Raiders (5-11)... WINNER!

Chiefs (2-14)... I own the AFC West! :boogie: :boogie:

NFC East:

Dallas (12-4), thank you Brad Johnson and Wade Phillips... again this stresses the epic fail of this staff

Redskins (9-7), hey it's an almost!

Giants (8-8), ok.. wishful thinking and history does say the Giants miss the playoffs after winning.. well until now

Eagles (7-9).... go figure McNabb is the ONE QB who stays healthy!!!

NFC North:

Packers (11-5)... I am convinced one bad coaching decision against Carolina stopped this from happening... when they made the dumb decision to kick the field goal on 4th and a yard and it bit them in the ass they never recovered....

Vikings (10-6).... NAILED IT!!

Lions (6-10)... oh man... oops??

Bears (3-13)... I was so wrong about Matt Forte and Kyle Orton turned out okay after all!

NFC South:

Saints (11-5)... still considering injuries, overrating the defense and the rise of Atlanta... not so bad

Tampa (8-8)... 9-7 is close still and they weren't really THAT good

Carolina (9-7)... CMON!!!!!!

Falcons (4-12)... I wasn't the only one

NFC West:

Seattle (10-6)... man the bed was shat upon there....

49ers (6-10)... I was close....

Arizona (6-10)... ok well they should have been :P

Rams (5-11).. ooff... ok Steven Jackson hurt in many ways....

tired yet???

I'm not (and I just recapped the Devils game on 2-man too :P)

so anyway... with the games now for what matters most... entry into the Super Bowl... let's take a look at what's on tap this weekend!!!

Saturday January 3:

Falcons at Cardinals:

Maybe the most fun game no one will really care about... no one takes Arizona seriously and really they shouldn't! And people are crazy over Matt Ryan and Michael Turner, though Ryan is showing signs of crashing into the wall of late....if Atlanta doesn't put the fear of God in Jesus' #1 fan, then it's going to be a long day for them... I still kinda think Atlanta is happy to be here and Arizona wants BADLY to prove they belong here, I also don't think Atlanta can stop those WR's on the other team and they should be able to out-gun the game Falcons...

Prediction: Arizona (never though I'd have said that 3 weeks ago)

Game Quality: ****

Colts at Chargers:

The Chargers are beat up all over... but I do think that Sproles is good enough at RB to carry the load on a soft Colts run defense... both teams can pass and make plays and beat up on opponents... but when the Chargers bring the A game they are a LOAD to stop... again I think too many people are getting all goofy over the run over trash teams the Colts have had and forgotten how much the better teams beat THEM up! And yeah maybe this is me dismissing the Colts because I think they are soft... and I like San Diego... I really do... this is another team that wants to prove they belong here!

Prediction: San Diego

Game Quality: ****

Sunday January 4:

Ravens at Dolphins:

Maybe the most intriguing, but not necessarily entertaining game on the slate... two teams that came outta nowhere this year, and both run the ball well.. Miami has the better offensive weapons.... Baltimore the better playmakers on D... but the one thing I need to factor into this one... Chad Pennington has played and WON in the NFL Playoffs before and Joe Flacco hasn't (I don't count that I-AA crap.. if you can't beat Rutgers I don't take you serious!)... it will be close... it's the only way these teams play....

Prediction: Miami

Game Quality: ***

Eagles at Vikings:

Again, the teams seem kinda even...until you look at the Quarterback... McNabb... vs Action Jackson... and really it's no contest... the Vikings D can be thrown on and it's all the Eagles do after all.. and they are going to blitz the bloody Green Piss out of Jackson until he bleeds! Hell the Vikings can't even sell this game out (yeah nothing to do with the economy there :rolleyes: )... I find it hard to imagine the Vikings keep this close.... I always seem to go three home teams in these games and it's NOT on purpose :P

Prediction: Eagles

Game Quality: ***

Cowboys are gonna pull what the Mets did after 2007; keep the coaching staff and then fire them when they are struggling early next season.. maybe even do it on the west coast at 1 or 2 am ET! :P

I almost love the idea but it is so much harder to fire a football coach mid-season because there is so much more going on then just throw a pitcher out there :P

I almost love the idea but it is so much harder to fire a football coach mid-season because there is so much more going on then just throw a pitcher out there :P

The Cowboys need to place a call to Mr. Shanahan. I know he's won jack post-Elway, but the fact is he is 10 times the coach that Wade Phillips could ever hope to be and he would do a good job with Romo.

Wild Card:

Atlanta @ Arizona- Atlanta

Indinapolis@San Diego- Indy

Philthadelphia@Minnesota- Minny

Baltimore@Miami-Miami

Divisional:

Miami@Pittsburgh-Pitt

Minny@Carolina-Carolina

Indy@Tennessee-Indy

Atlanta@NYG-Big Blue

Conference:

Indy@Pitt-Indy

Carolina@NYG- GMEN

Super Bowl

Peyton vs. Eli- ELI

The Cowboys need to place a call to Mr. Shanahan. I know he's won jack post-Elway, but the fact is he is 10 times the coach that Wade Phillips could ever hope to be and he would do a good job with Romo.

Well at least Shananhan's douchebag blocking schemes will protect the QB more so he can make mistakes due to choking rather then assault and battery :P

Well at least Shananhan's douchebag blocking schemes will protect the QB more so he can make mistakes due to choking rather then assault and battery :P

At this rate, Romo might need Shanahan and his old buddy Alex Gibbs to save his life after football. I don't think I saw a QB get abused as much as Romo this season. Maybe David Carr behind those horrible Houston o-lines.

What ? getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage and turning the ball over with fumbles :blink::hah::P

the Lombardi Packers :P

the Falcons look like a young team that is simply over its head now!

That was a huge INT/turnover by Arizona. Atlanta 14 unanswered points to take the lead now 17-14 at the half. Not a bad half.

Um... DUH??? :doh1: :doh1:

Any time you turn it over on that short of a field... and now Bouldin looks like he's not coming back

Atlanta did a tremendous job in stabilizing

it just me or this don't feel like a PLAYOFF game??

Never mind :lol:

Boo what a poor effort by ATL. I thought they would be better.. ah well Arizona still isn't going anywhere

Yeah they are, they're going to a divisional playoff game. IMO it wasn't a poor effort by ATL, Arizona didn't let them play. Credit where it's due, Arizona played a good game.

14-10 Chargers at the half.. I haven't seen the game at all though, Ill probably watch the 2nd half after the Nets game is over (about 5-6 minutes)

I picked Colts to win.

edit: MB my bad I told you Cards won 31-17.. I swear I read that on the ESPN bottom line on NHL 09, I guess not. Anyway yeah the final score was 30-24 not 31-17. :doh1:

Edited by nmigliore