‏Zach Parise has agreed to terms with the Minnesota Wild

Daniel

lol, yeah, tampering. Parise's been talking with Lou three times a day, but clearly he had no interest in coming back, it was just chit-chat, how's the weather, that sort of thing.

dr33: no, the Wild are still awful, and if they sign Parise and Suter, they're pretty much at the salary cap with (still) a pretty bad team.

Yup. And they are going to be tied into long-term cap hits at high numbers on two good, but not superstar players. If guys like Granlund, Brodin, Coyle pan out, they're going to become offer-sheet targets if there's a GM who is bold enough. The window for the Wild to try and contend may open and close in a quick fashion.

I'm not too broken-hearted over Parise leaving at the kind of money being talked about. I think the Wild may eventually suffer buyer's remorse on Parise down the road, much moreso than any Suter deal.

It looks like everyone is looking for something..anything to get mad at because of this situation. And if it wasn't this it be that. If it wasn't a comment after game 6, it be some comment before arbitration. I still feel Parise has handled this as well as possible given the circumstances.

Right, this is different. It's you blowing something way out of proportion.

Parise's been a free agent for 4 days. Every team has had ample opportunity to make a better offer than anyone else.

And you don't think the initial offers on July 1 all started at a higher level because of the Wild's comments? Who in their right mind would offer Parise a 13-100 (the way the Flyers supposedly did) or some of these other rumored offers, unless you knew someone was willing to offer more than that or figured you had to go to that level to hope of topping everyone else?

And you don't think the initial offers on July 1 all started at a higher level because of the Wild's comments? Who in their right mind would offer Parise a 13-100 (the way the Flyers supposedly did) or some of these other rumored offers, unless you knew someone was willing to offer more than that or figured you had to go to that level to hope of topping everyone else?

who cares where they started. they would've gotten there immediately. parise was ALWAYS going to see what the Wild's offer was regardless of what was put out there. his dad is clearly an influence. the suter thing is relatively new - at least that it was something that teams were trying to do.

i'll be disappointed but i can't fault parise for going to minnesotta.

It looks like everyone is looking for something..anything to get mad at because of this situation. And if it wasn't this it be that. If it wasn't a comment after game 6, it be some comment before arbitration. I still feel Parise has handled this as well as possible given the circumstances.

Dude, you're not allowed to be rational about this. Gotta join the anti-Parise groupthink!

Yup. And they are going to be tied into long-term cap hits at high numbers on two good, but not superstar players. If guys like Granlund, Brodin, Coyle pan out, they're going to become offer-sheet targets if there's a GM who is bold enough. The window for the Wild to try and contend may open and close in a quick fashion.

I'm not too broken-hearted over Parise leaving at the kind of money being talked about. I think the Wild may eventually suffer buyer's remorse on Parise down the road, much moreso than any Suter deal.

C'mon, offer sheet, who is the last significant player to be offer sheeted? Thomas Vanek? Dustin Penner, I guess? The Wild also have some bad contracts ending soon that should free them up to make some decent moves. Even if we assume Parise and Suter to be signed for a combined 16MM, the Wild will have 52M committed to 16 players next year. That should give them significant breathing room. They're still not building a championship team unless Granlund is really something special, but they've got some pieces in place to be good.

Edited by Triumph

Sorry, I just woke up and am having trouble finding when exactly it became a forgone conclusion that Parise is signing with the Wild. Can anyone fill me in?

There really isn't anything definitive, it's more of a general feeling. I haven't ruled out his coming back to NJ (and in fairness, a lot of the posts here are using "if", in regards to Minnesota), but if he doesn't, I'm not going to be taking it all that hard. I actually think the Devils might be better off in the long run if Parise DOESN'T come back.

Suter's supposed to make his decision today

Parise decision could come at same time, especially if they are trying to coordinate destination

"@SHEEHYHOCKEY: Client Ryan Suter plans on making a decision today." Around noon would be great. Thx.

— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger)

July 4, 2012

LeBrun's even posting about Suter + Parise

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Apparently because suter is expected to sign with the wild.

That, and Parise's interview last night where he admitted he was talking with Suter throughout the process. And the fact both have been unsigned for days but are supposedly both going to decide today. And the fact so many teams offered them both a package deal.

No smoking gun yet, but a ****load of circumstantial evidence.

There really isn't anything definitive, it's more of a general feeling. I haven't ruled out his coming back to NJ (and in fairness, a lot of the posts here are using "if", in regards to Minnesota), but if he doesn't, I'm not going to be taking it all that hard. I actually think the Devils might be better off in the long run if Parise DOESN'T come back.

In 5 years, I don't think it's a question. Even though I don't think Richard Pryor from Brewster's Millions will still be running the team at that point, Kovalchuk will already be entering a decline. Having two forwards like that on a mid-budget team could be brutal.

In 5 years, I don't think it's a question. Even though I don't think Richard Pryor from Brewster's Millions will still be running the team at that point, Kovalchuk will already be entering a decline. Having two forwards like that on a mid-budget team could be brutal.

And I think there's still plenty Lou can do here. And yeah, one absurd contact on the books is enough.

And I think there's still plenty Lou can do here. And yeah, one absurd contact on the books is enough.

With Kovy's cap hit, I can't call his contract absurd at all. He's not going to make 100 million dollars... he won't play the last few years of the deal... he got not ridiculous signing bonus. Parise and Suter's cap hits are going to be at least 7.5-8 mil if not much more. You tell me who's the team player. I'm pretty damn happy to have Kovalchuk with a cap hit that will never screw over the team.

With Kovy's cap hit, I can't call his contract absurd at all. He's not going to make 100 million dollars... he won't play the last few years of the deal... he got not ridiculous signing bonus. Parise and Suter's cap hits are going to be at least 7.5-8 mil if not much more. You tell me who's the team player. I'm pretty damn happy to have Kovalchuk with a cap hit that will never screw over the team.

The owner is broke and the team isn't close to the cap, who gives a sh!t about Kovalchuk's cap hit at this point? I care much more at this point about the $11M that CEO Barry Lyndon has to shell out.

Edited by Triumph

Oh please...so now Kovy's this swell team-first guy and Parise's a greedy selfish ass?

Like I said, if Parise's the soon-to-be vastly overpaid playoff zilch you're making him out to be, you should be turning cartwheels that he may be on his way out. You shouldn't be as angry about this whole thing as you're coming off.

I think what a lot of people around here are frustrated with is how Zach kept dropping subtle little hints about returning. In interviews after the season he would use "we" as if he were a member of the Devils and planned to continue being one. He told fans "don't worry" when they were chanting for him to come back at the rally that met the team bus. Zach made it sound like he was coming back when in fact it was more of a toss-up. I don't think people are mad at Zach for making a choice that is clearly his; it's just the hints he dropped to string Devils fans along, acting like he'd definitely be back. Now that we're seeing that there is a solid chance of him not returning, people are getting pissed at Zach's earlier actions.

What I think actually happened is that Zach is just not an intelligent person. He never realized how his comments would be seen by Devils fans and taken as a commitment to stay with the Devils. Yes, it's pretty clueless of him, but I don't think he had any ill-intent; he just didn't realize what he was dealing. He's dealing with the backlash of these comments and will be for the rest of his career if he decides to leave but it's probably not a big deal to him.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.