Joe Paterno

GoArmySports

He was considered a saint for fifty years, but after what's come out I don't feel the least bit sorry for him. Especially after he didn't have the decency to resign himself and made the trustees fire him.

It's inconceivable that they could all let Sandusky lurk around the program for years after they knew he was a predator, and it's laughable that people think Paterno didn't know. Right, the guy who ran the university and knew everything that went on somehow didn't know anything about his right-hand man for all those years being a predator.

here we gooo...

ok so it sucks to see a reign like Paterno had come to such an abrupt, disturbing, disastrous end. but Paterno is a dirtbag. no one can honestly say that a sane-minded, decent-hearted person can ignore the things that JoePa did. i cant even believe there really are people protesting the firing of a man who covered up a rape scandal like this. he was too old anyway, this just proves that he just has to leave football.

this situation is so unbelievable messy.

Edited by Onddeck

I've been dealing with sexual predators for fifteen years, I know how they operate. It is literally incomprehensible that the officials in this university allowed this man to walk free after they KNEW what he had done.

This is exactly why there are mandatory reporting laws.

The more that details that come out about what Sandusky did to these kids and all the people that took no action makes me absolutely sick. :puke: Paterno may be the legend so he is getting all this negative attention (as he should) but it is hard to understand how this many people knew about what went on and did absolutely nothing. Sexual abuse, child abuse shouldn't be something that you just look the other way at. How no one contacted the police or spoke up is unreal.

I wish all these kids protesting at Penn State would realize this isn't about football.

The more that details that come out about what Sandusky did to these kids and all the people that took no action makes me absolutely sick. :puke: Paterno may be the legend so he is getting all this negative attention (as he should) but it is hard to understand how this many people knew about what went on and did absolutely nothing. Sexual abuse, child abuse shouldn't be something that you just look the other way at. How no one contacted the police or spoke up is unreal.

I wish all these kids protesting at Penn State would realize this isn't about football.

yea.. all those pansy ass penn state fans can stop acting tough in this protest and realize what actually happened.

Barstool sports said it best, "Child rape scandals are bigger than any football coach’s legacy."

He was considered a saint for fifty years, but after what's come out I don't feel the least bit sorry for him. Especially after he didn't have the decency to resign himself and made the trustees fire him.

It's inconceivable that they could all let Sandusky lurk around the program for years after they knew he was a predator, and it's laughable that people think Paterno didn't know. Right, the guy who ran the university and knew everything that went on somehow didn't know anything about his right-hand man for all those years being a predator.

Well until 1998, I think it is fair to say he didn't know. What he did with the information given to him by the assistant who saw the incident in question in the locker room was not enough. The fact that he has seen this coach on campus since then with kids and didn't blink an eye is terrible.

But I disagree with your idea of him knowing that he was a predator all these years that they were an assistant You can hide things very well, especially when you run a charity for children.

Either way, this was the right decision. The students are wrong but to them and the town, Joe Pa is Penn State, possibly bigger than Penn State, and he can do no wrong. I wish they'd see things clearer.

The more I watch of this sh!t in ESPN, the more I want to puke. These fvcking clowns are just rioting for the sake of rioting; do people REALLY think they give a sh!t about Joe Paterno?

The police should smash their fvcking heads in.

Edited by nmigliore

yea.. all those pansy ass penn state fans can stop acting tough in this protest and realize what actually happened.

Barstool sports said it best, "Child rape scandals are bigger than any football coach’s legacy."

Penn State, from top to bottom, is looking more like a complete joke everyday. Who knows how long it takes them to recover from this? They probably never will, not entirely. No one will forget about this, nor should they.

Like fiesty says, how the hell did so many people do NOTHING about this?! fvck "JoePa" and his stupid legacy, and all of the scum who thought that was somehow more important than the welfare of defenseless children. At least these guys are all being exposed for what they are. No more covering up.

From a classy institution to crap in just a few short weeks. The administration has shown itself to be incompetent and the students are selfish myopic brats.

Dark days in happy valley: mostly self-inflicted.

Of the 11 posts in this thread, only two mention the name Sandusky and none mention McQueary (let alone Curley, Schultz or Spanier). Paterno should have done more, but he didn't commit the crime and he didn't witness it either. The fact that his name is all anyone seems to mutter with regards to this whole ugly mess is just further proof that we're a tabloid culture more obsessed with seeing a giant fall than anything else.

The most important thing is that Sandusky is finally in cuffs and he'll never harm another child ever again. There's a special place in hell for pieces of sh!t like him.

Of the 11 posts in this thread, only two mention the name Sandusky and none mention McQueary (let alone Curley, Schultz or Spanier). Paterno should have done more, but he didn't commit the crime and he didn't witness it either. The fact that his name is all anyone seems to mutter with regards to this whole ugly mess is just further proof that we're a tabloid culture more obsessed with seeing a giant fall than anything else.

The most important thing is that Sandusky is finally in cuffs and he'll never harm another child ever again. There's a special place in hell for pieces of sh!t like him.

If this thread was created when the scandal first broke, you would have seen those names referenced more. But since it was in the wake of Paterno's firing and the fact the buck always stopped with him at PSU, then yeah this is going to be largely about him.

Especially since Sanduzcky is thankfully getting what's coming to him at this point, however belatedly. And McCreary should be fired too, but even with the fact he had an opportunity to help stop it and didn't, he's really small potatoes otherwise. He never said anything after the initial report, and stayed there with promotion after promotion. Unfortunately, it seems as if someone bought his silence, I don't think that was JoePa, but it was definitely someone much higher than McCreary.

And nobody wanted Paterno to fall before this week, if anything I think people feel genuinely let down and betrayed, since Paterno was one of the few untarnished figures left in modern sports, and he was considered that for decades.

Edited by NJDevs4978

If this thread was created when the scandal first broke, you would have seen those names referenced more. But since it was in the wake of Paterno's firing and the fact the buck always stopped with him at PSU, then yeah this is going to be largely about him.

Especially since Sanduzcky is thankfully getting what's coming to him at this point, however belatedly. And McCreary should be fired too, but even with the fact he had an opportunity to help stop it and didn't, he's really small potatoes otherwise. He never said anything after the initial report, and stayed there with promotion after promotion. Unfortunately, it seems as if someone bought his silence, I don't think that was JoePa, but it was definitely someone much higher than McCreary.

And nobody wanted Paterno to fall before this week, if anything I think people feel genuinely let down and betrayed, since Paterno was one of the few untarnished figures left in modern sports, and he was considered that for decades.

These are all fair points, though I still think the Paterno attention in this is too high while the Sandusky and McQueary attention is too low. McQueary saw it, could've stopped it (and apparently Sandusky and the victim saw McQueary ... imagine the damage that did to the kid ... an adult saw what was happening and, instead of coming to his rescue, he walked away), could've called the cops, and could've been fired for his role. But none of that happened.

The whole thing is tragic and everyone involved deserves punishment, including Paterno. Perhaps the most ominous part is what few are discussing, the whole Ray Gricar element. But that's a whole other can of worms ...

Thankfully Sandusky is in jail, and he will get what's coming to him, assuming the prosecutors have all their facts in order.

I do wonder about McCreary. I imagine as this case moves along, the spotlight is going to start shining on him -- what he knew, who he told, and if he thinks he did enough.

But for now, the spotlight has been on Joe Paterno because he IS Penn State. Or at least he WAS, till now. Presumably he knows everything that goes on there -- particularly in the athletic department. He is the one who needed to explain how this could happen under his watch for as long as it did. And he did address it, but barely. It didn't seem like he was taking it all that seriously. Some TV/radio commentators were wondering how the heck did he think he could go and give his regular press conference on Tuesday to talk about the upcoming game against Nebraska, like if nothing else more important was happening? It really seemed like he was clueless to the severity of the situation.

I live in the Harrisburg area, roughly two (?) hours from Penn State, and the amount of support I've seen for Paterno from people I know is staggering.

They're of the opinion that nothing should have been done until the court case against Sandusky was over and done with, and people knew for sure what Paterno knew (assuming we learned more from the criminal trial).

This completely overlooks the fact that Paterno himself has admitted that he could have done more in this situation. (And I'm not implying that Paterno is the most guilty here...far from it, obviously).

I just don't get it. Hometown loyalty is one thing...but this is downright disgraceful.

These are all fair points, though I still think the Paterno attention in this is too high while the Sandusky and McQueary attention is too low. McQueary saw it, could've stopped it (and apparently Sandusky and the victim saw McQueary ... imagine the damage that did to the kid ... an adult saw what was happening and, instead of coming to his rescue, he walked away), could've called the cops, and could've been fired for his role. But none of that happened.

The whole thing is tragic and everyone involved deserves punishment, including Paterno. Perhaps the most ominous part is what few are discussing, the whole Ray Gricar element. But that's a whole other can of worms ...

Whether its right or wrong, Paterno is going to be the name thrown around simply because of his iconic status. As far as I'm concerned, anyone that knew anything and did nothing should be fired immediately. It's a joke they are letting McQueary stay...I'm sure there are others who are also being given the same treatment.

There's obviously a culture of secrecy at Penn State, and Joe Paterno probably is the father of that culture. "Shut your mouth" is sometimes a good adage, but not when injustice is being perpetrated.

The football program swallowed up everybody's moral compass at Penn State, including the legendary Paterno. What a tragedy.

I imagine if you're a Penn Stater, you have a hard time comprehending that Paterno could've let this happen. They don't want to believe it is possible. To many of them, he was like a god. He did so much good for that place.

I'm a Penn Stater. I am nothing but disgusted and appalled with every angle of this story, and now I have to add some idiot students who rioted over a firing to that list. Everyone I've kept in touch w/ feels the same way

Sure JoePa is an icon, and he has personally invested a lot into the school, but that doesn't excuse anything in my eyes. It pisses me off to see there are people who seem to disagree with that, trying to excuse him on a technicality.

Don't let the idiot rioters speak for everyone, and don't let Football speak for the whole University, its bigger that that. There are 40,000 undergrads alone. ABC News said last night they were approached by students who agreed with the decision but were too scared to comment on camera.

The least important part of this is that I feel as if the place I became an adult and loved is forever tarnished. Some parts of your life you want to remember with rose colored glasses, I certainly don’t feel that anymore

I'm a Penn Stater. I am nothing but disgusted and appalled with every angle of this story, and now I have to add some idiot students who rioted over a firing to that list. Everyone I've kept in touch w/ feels the same way

Sure JoePa is an icon, and he has personally invested a lot into the school, but that doesn't excuse anything in my eyes. It pisses me off to see there are people who seem to disagree with that, trying to excuse him on a technicality.

Don't let the idiot rioters speak for everyone, and don't let Football speak for the whole University, its bigger that that. There are 40,000 undergrads alone. ABC News said last night they were approached by students who agreed with the decision but were too scared to comment on camera.

The least important part of this is that I feel as if the place I became an adult and loved is forever tarnished. Some parts of your life you want to remember with rose colored glasses, I certainly don’t feel that anymore

Good post. I was up last night watching the coverage on ESPN News for about an hour after the board's announcement. That whole time, the crowd of students was pretty tame, for the most part. It wasn't till this morning that I saw on the news that some rioting took place. But even so, I could tell that it was only a very small fraction of the crowd.

I could tell that it was only a very small fraction of the crowd.

Even so, media would have you believe otherwise. I'm not 100% sure this wouldn't have happened in my time, but I do feel like it's become way too acceptable to cause damage when anything major happens sports related.

And kudos to the board for the time of day they announced this. Perfect time of day for people to sit around, drink, and wait for news.

People need to get a frigging grip.