Shero and Bylsma apparently fired

SterioDesign

I get firing the latter but the former is baffling. 

shero put together the roster forgetting about the bottom 6, keeping and backing MAF and putting together an old and slow defense after going out of his way to slow down the team last year by adding Morrow and Iginla, so I think he's more deserving of getting fired than Disco 

Any success he had was seemingly by lucking into Crosby and Malkin 

Edited by DH26

Shero didn't get the job done as GM. I think they will invest in a safety net on MAF for next year along with a host of other moves.

shero put together the roster forgetting about the bottom 6, keeping and backing MAF and putting together an old and slow defense after going out of his way to slow down the team last year by adding Morrow and Iginla, so I think he's more deserving of getting fired than Disco 

Any success he had was seemingly by lucking into Crosby and Malkin 

LOL I wrote it the wrong way 'round...I meant I get firing Shero. I agree with you.

Shero got fired cause Burkle was asking him to fire bylsma but wouldnt do it so they both went. My Pens buddy actually told me this a few days ago that it was ongoing.

I know people are not fans of giving credits to Shero here but i do think he made a pretty decent job. Obviously all people do is think "well he got crosby and malkin and all those top guys to start with. Thats pretty easy!"

Getting Kunitz was a great move, getting Neal was a steal. Flipping Staal for Sutter + 8th overall pick and a prospect before obviously losing him for nothing. Giving an ultimatum to Letang to sign before the draft too so that he wouldnt be in a thought spot risking losing him for nothing later too. He also build a real solid group of young Dmen that should be real good for years

If people here are saying that he sucks cause his moves "didnt pan out" well they are incredibly hypocrite when defending Lou lately. 

Edited by SterioDesign

Who knows SD, maybe when Lou retires Shero will be the new Devils GM and your dream will come true, because Shero would never ever risk losing a player for nothing...he's far too awesome to ever let that happen.  Not saying Shero is a bad GM, but let me see what he does when he goes to a team that doesn't already have some top players (one of whom is a generational talent) in place.  He's relatively young and will definitely get another shot for sure.   

Shero got fired cause Burkle was asking him to fire bylsma but wouldnt do it so they both went. My Pens buddy actually told me this a few days ago that it was ongoing.

I know people are not fans of giving credits to Shero here but i do think he made a pretty decent job. Obviously all people do is think "well he got crosby and malkin and all those top guys to start with. Thats pretty easy!"

Getting Kunitz was a great move, getting Neal was a steal. Flipping Staal for Sutter + 8th overall pick and a prospect before obviously losing him for nothing. Giving an ultimatum to Letang to sign before the draft too so that he wouldnt be in a thought spot risking losing him for nothing later too. He also build a real solid group of young Dmen that should be real good for years

If people here are saying that he sucks cause his moves "didnt pan out" well they are incredibly hypocrite when defending Lou lately. 

It's not like Shero is god awful and has never done anything right. He's made a lot of good trades and during his tenure they've* drafted some promising defensemen. But that bottom 6 forward group + Fleury is why they're not over the hump.

* really wary of giving GMs credit for drafting. It works differently in different organizations, but I doubt Shero is very hands on with scouting. In the end it's his decision but like I said, I don't want to give GMs too much credit for what they're likely not that involved in.

If the players are disgruntled, then I guess you have to do it. Still, the biggest mistake is to make decisions based on lack of playoff success.

And their perceived troubles in goal have an upside so far as the Devils and Schneider. It's just one more team that is looking for a goalie, which will up the demand for Schneider if a trade becomes necessary.

Still, I don't think it'll really impact his decision. He may want out for all we know. It's just doesn't make sense for either Schneider or the Penguins to hold out hope that he'd end up in Pittsburgh if he waits it out another year, wherever he might be before that.

I'm almost positive that Lou and Schneider's camp have been talking an extension since the season ended or will shortly. Lou will definitely know where Schneider stands prior to the draft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Who knows SD, maybe when Lou retires Shero will be the new Devils GM and your dream will come true, because Shero would never ever risk losing a player for nothing...he's far too awesome to ever let that happen. Not saying Shero is a bad GM, but let me see what he does when he goes to a team that doesn't already have some top players (one of whom is a generational talent) in place. He's relatively young and will definitely get another shot for sure.

People have been suggesting Washington.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

People have been suggesting Washington.

Wouldn't surprise me.  I've got to think he'll get scooped up relatively quickly.  Even if his teams haven't gotten it done in the playoffs lately, franchises are always looking for GMs with winning track records.  Shero has that, and he's not some complete incompetent.     

It's not like Shero is god awful and has never done anything right. He's made a lot of good trades and during his tenure they've* drafted some promising defensemen. But that bottom 6 forward group + Fleury is why they're not over the hump.

* really wary of giving GMs credit for drafting. It works differently in different organizations, but I doubt Shero is very hands on with scouting. In the end it's his decision but like I said, I don't want to give GMs too much credit for what they're likely not that involved in.

Pretty much this. He did put together the secondary parts on that 09 cup winning team but never adequately replaced Guerin, Talbot, Kennedy (when he was good) etc and Michalek blew up on D. Scuderi was a Lou move-bringing him back when he was washed up. And Fleury hasn't been good in the playoffs since the year *before* they won the cup. Things just went badly

Shero made some nice trades but he also inherited Crosby and Malkin. Since the Cup run, In his 1st draft with the team, they could have done better than Staal. The next year there was another bad pick with Esposito. 

Since 2009, 4 series wins against the Senators x2 and the Isles and Jackets. Not a good run with arguably the two best players in hockey. 

Mario probably sees a team like Chicago that has done a better job surrounding their best players with talent. 

Who knows SD, maybe when Lou retires Shero will be the new Devils GM and your dream will come true, because Shero would never ever risk losing a player for nothing...he's far too awesome to ever let that happen.  Not saying Shero is a bad GM, but let me see what he does when he goes to a team that doesn't already have some top players (one of whom is a generational talent) in place.  He's relatively young and will definitely get another shot for sure.   

actually yes i'd really like that to be honest to get Shero, a guy who doesn't preach "when time is on your side, you use it" 

Penguins drafting has been bad recently, but you know what doesn't help is not having draft picks, and that falls on the GM.  And of course there's Fleury, who isn't bad but isn't great.  I dunno, circumstances conspired against Shero to some degree, but he chose the future over present help with the Staal deal, and he didn't get a chance to see that future happen.

Shero made some nice trades but he also inherited Crosby and Malkin. Since the Cup run, In his 1st draft with the team, they could have done better than Staal. The next year there was another bad pick with Esposito. 

Since 2009, 4 series wins against the Senators x2 and the Isles and Jackets. Not a good run with arguably the two best players in hockey. 

Mario probably sees a team like Chicago that has done a better job surrounding their best players with talent. 

Fleury being a pretty meh playoff goaltender hasn't helped them either.  It will be very interesting to see what kind of an offer he gets if he goes UFA (more and more I'm thinking he's getting a fair offer, but not a massive one).  If he ever picks it up in the playoffs, he could wind up being a bargain. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

All these Pittsburgh talks have me becoming very nervous that CR1976's feared Fleury-Schneider UFA swap may come true.

If that ever does happen (and I do think it could if Schneider is not signed this offseason), I think the spin will be "Fleury has shown that he can play a lot of games and be effective, he's much more cost-efficient", rec.  As Tri alluded to, in fairness to Fleury, he's far from terrible overall.  But I don't think there's a Devils fan that won't be extremely disappointed if this happens...even doubly so if Schneider did ultimately wind up in Pittsburgh.  Right or wrong, it's going to feel like a major downgrade. 

If that ever does happen (and I do think it could if Schneider is not signed this offseason), I think the spin will be "Fleury has shown that he can play a lot of games and be effective, he's much more cost-efficient", rec.  As Tri alluded to, in fairness to Fleury, he's far from terrible overall.  But I don't think there's a Devils fan that won't be extremely disappointed if this happens...even doubly so if Schneider did ultimately wind up in Pittsburgh.  Right or wrong, it's going to feel like a major downgrade. 

Is that the fans spin or Lou's. There is no way anyone can make an honest case that Fleuy is more cost effective.

I'm very interested in seeing what Fleury gets on the open market. 

People defend Lou because he has similar track records of a lot of these GM's, but some people just focus on Parise leaving even though Parise himself said there was a lot more to it.

Shero got hired in 2006. In that same time frame, Lou made the Zidlicky, Kovalchuk, and Schneider trades, managed to flip Janssen for pre-concussion Salvador, and re-signed Elias (twice), Oduya, Brodeur, Zidlicky, Langenbrunner, Green (twice) etc,  without losing them for nothing and locked up Zajac and Henrique long term so he wouldn't risk losing them for nothing, and he also built a real solid group of d-men that should be real good for years.

There's not much difference there, give or take an inherited generational talent or two. That's why people defend Lou. It's not to say Lou is the best, it's to say that he's at least on par with most of the league when it comes to this stuff.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Is that the fans spin or Lou's. There is no way anyone can make an honest case that Fleuy is more cost effective.

I'm very interested in seeing what Fleury gets on the open market. 

Probably more the fans than Lou (as a coping mechanism).  But I could Lou making comments somewhere in that realm.  The organization isn't going to say "Well, we lost, here's Plan B."  They'll focus on the "positives" (like MAF making less coin than Cory).

Of course, the REAL scary scenario is Cory walks, Lou decides MAF is his one and only Plan B, and MAF's camp is able to get Lou to overpay as a result.  Bleech.