The Movies thread!

CRASHER

Since I had absolutely nothing to do today I also saw G.I. Joe, which I normally wouldn't do as the trailer made it out to be a big dumb action movie. As it turns out, it was dumb in every aspect, but I was surprised that I somewhat enjoyed it.

I ended up at GI Joe because a friend wanted to see it. I knew from the previews I thought the effects looked awful, especially with that much money spent, and I thought they were awful when I saw the full movie. What was surprising to me is that the script isn't half bad. I can understand why movie execs would have read that script and thought to themselves they could make a big blockbuster out of it. Now of course there were the jokey side characters which were bad for the movie, and I'm going to guess added into the script later to make it kid friendly. Taking that same script and scaling it up for adults and actually spending less money on effects would have probably ended up with a really decent movie.

Oh ya, the "big twist" was so telegraphed that I would assume half the theater guessed the twist before the movie even hinted there would be one.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an aside, we should probably get the 2 movie threads merged into just a general movie thread, right?

Anyway, here is some talk about a District 9 sequel or prequel(spoilers in link):

http://chud.com/articles/articles/20625/1/DISTRICT-10-IS-LIKELY-BUT-DON039T-COUNT-OUT-DISTRICT-8/Page1.html

Basically says the director didn't have a sequel in mind at the time but now he already has some thoughts about it. Talks about answering if Wikus becomes human again. Says his ideas don't really revolve around if the aliens return or not. Also, the director and the guy who played Wikus find Wikus hilarious before his "redemption"(I do too) and they might like doing something showing more of his early life.

Not to post a "Me Too" or anything, but I have no problem with merging the Summer Movies and the regular Movies threads. I just created the other Movies thread so we can talk about movies outside the Summer season, but having it all in one place would be just fine with me.

Add my vote too for combining threads. And I like the idea of mentioning what exactly you're posting a spoiler for before posting one.

D-9

The more I think about it, the more I think a prequel is the way to go for District-9. There is so much that I want to know about those first 20 years the prawns spent on the planet ... or, more specifically, the first year or so. How did they come to the decision to give them their own walled-in plot of land? Were there other ideas? How did they bring them back to health? How did they come to realize that the prawns can breathe our atmosphere? Eat and be sustained by our livestock? I'm not sure if the fact that prawns can breathe our air and eat our food is such a stretch that it borders on being a plot flaw, or if it's a fascinating coincidence, or if it's why they chose our planet to "crash" on?

Plus, I think it would be tough for a sequel to maintain the same kind of feel that D-9 had. There would be a temptation to follow Christopher's journey back to his home planet and turn it into more of an alien movie. The feel of D-9 wasn't that of a typical alien movie ... it felt more like it was about refugees and basic emotional interactions between different living beings. If they do make a prequel and it isn't the kind of abomination that the Matrix turned into (sorry CRASH), then I'd absolutely love to see them take a crack at D-10.

Most importantly, I think it's the mark of a great movie that it can spark such discussion. Most summer sci-fi flicks, you can just go to the theater and more or less turn your brain off for two hours while you let dazzling special effects tickle your eyes. But anything that actually generates critical thought without losing its continuity is a special film.

Also, anyone else laughing at Sandler for picking Funny People over Basterds?

No, just because he did not pick the better movie it does not mean he did not do an excellent job in it

Don't think anyone mentioned this but Wikus(dont know the spelling) totally reminded me of a rip off of Steve Carrol in the office.

Who was ripping off Ricky Gervais, who created the show and character. Gervais was probably ripping off someone else he had seen do the buffoon act before too. It's tough to be totally original.

D9 was ok, it was a bit of a disappointment for me.

Don't think anyone mentioned this but Wikus(dont know the spelling) totally reminded me of a rip off of Steve Carrol in the office.

Yeah I didnt like it as much as others have here - I did like the

way that they shot the small ship down rather then let it go right to the mother ship and the way that after the first few minutes the prawns were totally seamless.

I saw elements of alien nation in it and it had a V feel to it.

Beavis & Butthead ... Office Space ... Mike Judge can do no wrong, unless we're talking about King Of The Hill. Looking forward to Extract.

While I normally would agree with you, the trailers for Exrtract have been leaving me empty, although trailers can be very deceiving. Then again, Mila Kunis is reason enough to give the movie some attention for an hour and a half :D

All jokes aside, I'm really rooting for Extract to be good but I just don't have a good feeling about it.

While I normally would agree with you, the trailers for Exrtract have been leaving me empty, although trailers can be very deceiving. Then again, Mila Kunis is reason enough to give the movie some attention for an hour and a half :D

All jokes aside, I'm really rooting for Extract to be good but I just don't have a good feeling about it.

Ya know, I kinda feel the same way with the trailers. But the fact that Office Space was a box office dud kinda makes me think that this might still have potential. Plus, Jason Bateman is just hilarious.

Add in Idiocracy on the good side.

Damn, I forgot about Idiocracy...probably one of the worst 20 minutes of film I've ever seen! Maybe I needed to hang with it a little more, but I seriously couldn't get past the opening 20 when it was on HBO a while back.

To be honest, I had no idea Judge wrote and directed it...maybe if I had known that, I would have hung for a lttle longer but damn, that movie is obnoxious. Maybe that's the point, but it was just too frustrating to watch.

By the way, 731, I don't mean to knock a movie you obviously enjoyed...perhaps i gets better as it goes on, but I just couldn't stomach watching it. To each, their own!

I would say Idiocracy is a bit of a build. The first part with Luke Wilson in present time is pretty boring, although I like the part with the army guy hanging with the pimp, and then setting up that the future is moronic is a little slow, but as soon as the president shows up things take off because I think the President is great.

So I'll say it could go either way, if you hated the first 20 minutes you might still hate the movie in general but it might be that you like the rest as well, the first part of the movie is a little different than the rest.

It's ok if you hate a movie I like, we all have our own tastes, even King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters and Princess Bride aren't beloved by all.

I would say Idiocracy is a bit of a build. The first part with Luke Wilson in present time is pretty boring, although I like the part with the army guy hanging with the pimp, and then setting up that the future is moronic is a little slow, but as soon as the president shows up things take off because I think the President is great.

So I'll say it could go either way, if you hated the first 20 minutes you might still hate the movie in general but it might be that you like the rest as well, the first part of the movie is a little different than the rest.

It's ok if you hate a movie I like, we all have our own tastes, even King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters and Princess Bride aren't beloved by all.

Fair enough...next time it's on HBO, I'll give it a fairer shot.

Also, if somebody doesn't love King of Kong, they can't be my friend. Simple as that! Love that flick! :D

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/boondock-saints-ii/red-band-trailer

Looks like they finally made a Boondock Saints sequel. Part of me is pumped about this. Park of me is worried that it might suck and they woulda been better off leaving it as just the one movie. Yet another part of me is wondering what the hell happened to Sean Patrick Flanery's face!? Is it bad plastic surgery or aging poorly or a guy in a low-quality Sean Patrick Flanery mask?

Anyway, it looks like they were able to get pretty much everybody back, even the fairly minor characters, except for Willem Dafoe. You can even see Rocco for a brief moment in the trailer.

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/boondock-saints-ii/red-band-trailer

Looks like they finally made a Boondock Saints sequel. Part of me is pumped about this. Park of me is worried that it might suck and they woulda been better off leaving it as just the one movie. Yet another part of me is wondering what the hell happened to Sean Patrick Flanery's face!? Is it bad plastic surgery or aging poorly or a guy in a low-quality Sean Patrick Flanery mask?

Anyway, it looks like they were able to get pretty much everybody back, even the fairly minor characters, except for Willem Dafoe. You can even see Rocco for a brief moment in the trailer.

Well, that makes my evening!

I'm just going to go on record and say that I love the orginal Boondock Saints, despite the fact it's a so-so movie. Forgetting the hammy acting (especially by Willem Dafoe), cheesy screenplay and borderline cringe moments, the original defines the word cult classic. All of it's obvious flaws aside, it has a weird charm to it that's irresitable. I don't know, maybe just knowing the hell it took to even get made makes me really love it...it's the little indie action that could...and did!

From the looks of the trailer, it seems like it just sticks to the formula of the orginal, which is a good thing. I agree that revivals like this can go bad quickly, but I will certainly be seeing this one in the theaters.

Oh, and Flanery really looks like age got the best of him....yikes...