Food around the Rock

Reverend_Hellh0und

Does anyone know what happened to Arena Bar? A friend and I hit up Edison Ale House immediately after game 6 on Friday and figured we make a tour of the bars right around the arena and walked over to Arena only to find it closed. I know there was a shooting nearby a few weeks ago, but I'm not sure why that would have closed them down. Anyone have any information on this?

Does anyone know what happened to Arena Bar? A friend and I hit up Edison Ale House immediately after game 6 on Friday and figured we make a tour of the bars right around the arena and walked over to Arena only to find it closed. I know there was a shooting nearby a few weeks ago, but I'm not sure why that would have closed them down. Anyone have any information on this?

Call them (say that you're just asking for information about hours). Their facebook page has had one or two updates since the shooting, but nothing about suspending operations or anything remotely like that.

A bar about 3 blocks down the road had the same thing happen. Shooting outside the bar late at night, and then never re-opened.

Now that bar was struggling, so we figured finances just made the place not worth re-opening. Arena Bar seemed to be doing fine though, so I don't know why they wouldn't want to re-open.

• 2 weeks later...

Have been going to Dinosour BBQ place and IMO it is the best place around the Prudential Center. The food is amazing and the pulled pork sandwich is awesome. The sides of BBQ rice and mac and cheese is what I get most of the time. The place is always packed and reservations are always booked. Book your reservation early in advance. Today it is booked and there will be a line out the door.

Checked out Dinosaur BBQ before Game 5.

Had the Combonation - 2 meats, Ribs and Brisket, 2 sides - Gumbo and BBQ Fried Rice, Cornbread and Sweat Tea. It was 16.95 plus 2.50 for the sweet tea and i left feeling stuffed. It was awesome and if you think about it, you can't get that much food for that much money at the arena. you do chicken fingers, fries and a soda and it is like 13 bucks.

Anyway, The Ribs were awesome, the Brisket was phenomenal, the BBQ Fried Rice was great. The Gumbo left a little to be desired, lacked depth of flavor for me. The Cornbread was awesome and thw sweet tea in a Mason Jar was perfect sweetness.

All in All - a great meal, greta location, tons of Devils fans - this is my new favorite.

Get there early. You can also do call ahead.

• 5 months later...

Went to Dinosaur BBQ yesterday, my second time ever.

The chicken wings there are DELICIOUS, as is the brisket. I liked the ribs, but I'm just not sure if they are my favorite or not. I took home half a rack for leftovers, so I'll try them again. The cole slaw is creamy, which I like, but maybe other people not as much. The corn bread was great. I liked the french fries too. For dessert, I had the cheesecak, very tasty.

They have a decent craft beer selection, but I was a little surprised that it hasn't changed much since the last time I was there.

All in all, if you like BBQ, I highly recommend the restaurant!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

now that it looks like the arena lounge is closed, is there anything close to that side of the arena? i park at mulberry/lafeyette and that place was very close to parking and was great that i didnt have to walk to the other side of the arena... thanks

now that it looks like the arena lounge is closed, is there anything close to that side of the arena? i park at mulberry/lafeyette and that place was very close to parking and was great that i didnt have to walk to the other side of the arena... thanks

Not that I know of.

I heard rumors that Uber Burger closed. Can anyone confirm that?

I walked by it Tuesday, it's definitely closed though they're planning to replace it with something else, I want to say a crab house but I'm not 100% positive. Right now it's just the Brick City coffee part of it that's open. Too bad, it was barren empty just after 6 PM and Uber Burger was always packed on gameday seemingly.

Just read the post above...yeah that's what it is gonna be, Joe's Crab Shack.

Edited by NJDevs26

I walked by it Tuesday, it's definitely closed though they're planning to replace it with something else, I want to say a crab house but I'm not 100% positive. Right now it's just the Brick City coffee part of it that's open. Too bad, it was barren empty just after 6 PM and Uber Burger was always packed on gameday seemingly.

Just read the post above...yeah that's what it is gonna be, Joe's Crab Shack.

I doubt Joe's Crab Shack will be in the same spot as Uber Burger. The space is just not even close to being large enough and from what I hear Joe's will be in the hotel which is on the other side of the parking deck.

I do hope a 5 Guys or some quick food place opens in Uber Burger's place. The restaurants along Edison are always packed unless you get there really early and I've gone to Uber a couple times to grab a quick bite before the game.

Ya the South Side of the arena is tough because the public transportation side (North East) is really the huge pull especially with the plaza there. The whole of Mullberry st is really waiting on that park and a birde over 21 and more development which could take 10-20 years. In the interum you are much more likely to see more on Market st.

What was the beer selection like there?

Not aure what its like now but when it was open 2 years ago I'd say it was definitely on the cheaper side.. A bunch of lagers, like Bud Light, Coors Light, Miller.. But they did also have like Guiness, Harp, and Bass.. Go to Edison Ale House for craft beers, this place was great for a $2 draft and really good food

And I will be going back soon to report on what it's now like

I remember going there a year or two ago and thinking it was alright but no real push to go there....I think the problem is that If I have to park the car or am going to a game there are just so many choices on the North side of the arena that if one place is packed or dead I can bounce to the next.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember going there a year or two ago and thinking it was alright but no real push to go there....I think the problem is that If I have to park the car or am going to a game there are just so many choices on the North side of the arena that if one place is packed or dead I can bounce to the next.

Their biggest issue is that they are on the south side.. You're just not getting the same foot traffic that an arena on the way from the train station gets.. Sure, lots of people walking from the parking lots but it didn't seem to stick before

Still, I'd like to see every bar in that area succeed so I'll be going Monday and posting a review

Did anybody else come out of Dino smelling like smoke? I know it's a barbecue place, and is smoky by nature to a certain degree, but I felt like I had to clean my clothes after eating there, and I usually don't give a sh!t about stuff like that.

Did anybody else come out of Dino smelling like smoke? I know it's a barbecue place, and is smoky by nature to a certain degree, but I felt like I had to clean my clothes after eating there, and I usually don't give a sh!t about stuff like that.

Happened to me last week when I was there.  I don't mind it really and the smoke smell eventually goes away with a washing or just letting it air out.

Odd, I've eaten there twice and had not issues with smoke. I wonder if their smoker backed up =-/

I am hoping this spring/summer that they get the outside opend and running as it seems like a relaxing spot to catch a drink, also wish Edison Ale house would have the same thing and in an ideal world all the restaurants could have a spot there.

Their biggest issue is that they are on the south side.. You're just not getting the same foot traffic that an arena on the way from the train station gets.. Sure, lots of people walking from the parking lots but it didn't seem to stick before

Still, I'd like to see every bar in that area succeed so I'll be going Monday and posting a review

I talked to the owner of Stadium 2 weeks ago when I stopped in.  He owns another restaurant by the Robert Treat hotel.  The menu had some nice Portuguese dishes on it, but I didn't have time to test any of the food out.

The idea for that location is that there aren't many restaurants over there to support the FBI building and the courthouse, so his plan doesn't seem to be to focus on attracting events crowds, that would just be a nice bonus if it happens.

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to the owner of Stadium 2 weeks ago when I stopped in.  He owns another restaurant by the Robert Treat hotel.  The menu had some nice Portuguese dishes on it, but I didn't have time to test any of the food out.

The idea for that location is that there aren't many restaurants over there to support the FBI building and the courthouse, so his plan doesn't seem to be to focus on attracting events crowds, that would just be a nice bonus if it happens.

Thats the Federal Building the FBI Building is on RT 21 by the NJPAC.

• 3 weeks later...

Never had a problem like that. Though I did have a fairly horrific experience there on Wednesday at the Philadelphia game:

I drop my buddy at Dino BBQ to get a table, he calls, says the wait is 20 mins, I assume it's because of whatever the hell happened on 21 that day. Anyways, so I get to Dino BBQ 25-30 mins later, we get sat down, order beer, food. Then this woman walks by, my friend asks for a menu because we didn't realize the wine/spirit menu didn't contain the beer list as well. Well, she didn't like that, as she proceeded to yell at my two friends and I that we needed to leave the table because we stole the table by just sitting down at it without permission, but she's an idiot for thinking that as we already ordered a pitcher of beer and food from the waiter who came over after the host sat us down. The waiter comes over, tells me to calm down because I told the bitchy woman I was going to leave if she was going to treat me in such a way. The waiter, once things calmed a bit, offered my table a shot, to which I responded, "if it's on the house", he responds, "no". Ok, kind of an odd way to rectify an issue with a customer, ask them if they want to spend $20 on shots, no thanks....

Anyways, some time passes, we decide we want to speak with a manager before paying, I ask the not so nice woman for her name and, I kid you not, she gives me the "hand" and walks away. So after our meal, which food-wise, was great, as always at Dino BBQ, the supervisor, Judith, comes over, she tells me she's not happy with woman giving me the hand, apologizes, gives us 15% off and her card with the note that we should call her directly anytime we want a reservation on a game night(which they don't do normally I guess).

So, while it was quite an odd experience, it was resolved well by the manager and now I don't have to rush to get a table there anymore. All in all, bad experience, but the place really is great and I think they're still working out a few kinks since they've not even been open 1 year yet and this is the first regular season they're there and people now know about it and it's always packed. I've been there on a non-event night and it's a better experience since it's a bit less rushed and the waiter can give you a bit more attention, instead of you trying to track him down right after you order beer, since you know you won't get another until you finish the one you got, lol.

Edited by ATLL765

• 1 month later...