Food around the Rock

Reverend_Hellh0und

Hello everyone! Its my first trip to see a Devils game, going to be there on the 25th for the home finale. Tried dino BBQ, cant get a reservation, likewise at eddison ale house. Any other recomendations? Thanks!

I think it's more that those places don't take reservations the day of games or events.  Best bet is to get to either by 4:30PM the latest.  By that time you should be able to walk in and get a table right away or within a couple of minutes.  After that it is a crapshoot as to how long you have to wait.  I have heard if you should up by 5PM the wait for at least EAH can be approx 45 minutes to an hour.

Hello everyone! Its my first trip to see a Devils game, going to be there on the 25th for the home finale. Tried dino BBQ, cant get a reservation, likewise at eddison ale house. Any other recomendations? Thanks!

Hobby's has great food, and reasonably priced.  It's about a block and half from the arena, across Broad St.  Never need a reservation there and they have a special game-day menu.  You could also try Hell's Kitchen on Lafayette, on the other side of the tracks, but that gets pretty crowded.

http://www.hobbysdeli.com/

http://hellskitchenlounge.com/index1.html

• 1 month later...

While not exactly fitting the description, I will say this is close enough.

After recently going to some of the other arenas/stadiums in the NY Metro area I have to say right now I am of the opinion that the Prudential Center has by far the absolutely worst quality food of any arena/stadium.  I am not including the fire and ice lounges or the restaurants but just the basic food options available to all fans.

I just wanted to share and vent as it is fustrating that if I am in a hurry and cannot make it to the restaurants around the arena in time I am stuck with lousy arena food and going to other stadiums recently made it more blaring. 

While not exactly fitting the description, I will say this is close enough.

After recently going to some of the other arenas/stadiums in the NY Metro area I have to say right now I am of the opinion that the Prudential Center has by far the absolutely worst quality food of any arena/stadium.  I am not including the fire and ice lounges or the restaurants but just the basic food options available to all fans.

I just wanted to share and vent as it is fustrating that if I am in a hurry and cannot make it to the restaurants around the arena in time I am stuck with lousy arena food and going to other stadiums recently made it more blaring. 

It's overpriced, but I like Hobby's at the Rock, though I haven't eaten at the game (excluding the time I went to Fire Lounge) in years. There's too much good food outside for less money.

It's overpriced, but I like Hobby's at the Rock, though I haven't eaten at the game (excluding the time I went to Fire Lounge) in years. There's too much good food outside for less money.

Thing is a lot of times especially during the week when I am coming from work I really do not have much time to grab a bite to eat.  I try to eat at the places outside the Rock as much as possible but there are times I get to the Rock a couple minutes before puck drop and cannot even stop for a slice of pizza.

yankee stadium has the best selection/tasting/quality food for sure out of all of the stadiums ive ever been to. Although it is usualy priceyer then other stadium/arenas

Yankee Stadium is one of the places I went to recently and their food is far more superior.  Believe it or not I found most of Yankee Stadium food slightly cheaper than comparable food at the Prudential Center.  The quality at Yankee Stadium blows them away though.

I really wish the Devils would so something to fix this aspect.  I know the whole "well you are stuck inside an arena so you are forced to eat our terrible, overpriced food" mentality that most sports arenas have, but they can do much better.  Even the Taste of Newark stand is now almost or completely run by Aramark (Centerplate was the food vendor for the last few years I believe until this past season) and the other "unique" food like the Japanese/Sushi place on the lower level is terrible.  I am not asking for fine dining just stuff that is at least palatable.

i stopped buying food in the arena.. the only thing i buy is beer there. If i take the train to the game ill stop at a local deli and get myself something to eat along the way .. same thing if i drive in ..

Like I said there are many times I literally arrive at the arena and park a minute before puck drop.

Agree that the food quality isn't the best.  The standard fare of Chicken fingers and hot dogs are fine (I'm a Nathan's fan), but the quality, selection and variety of food needs to be improved.   

The Yankees have their own hospitality company that they co-own with the Dallas Cowboys.  They operate the concessions in Yankee Stadium and other facilities.  I was hoping Prudential Center, but instead we continue to get the sh!t Aramark throws our way.

Agree that the food quality isn't the best.  The standard fare of Chicken fingers and hot dogs are fine (I'm a Nathan's fan), but the quality, selection and variety of food needs to be improved.   

The Yankees have their own hospitality company that they co-own with the Dallas Cowboys.  They operate the concessions in Yankee Stadium and other facilities.  I was hoping Prudential Center, but instead we continue to get the sh!t Aramark throws our way.

Yeah I mean when the Devils moved for the first 1-2 years the food was actually pretty good.  Then they just started cutting down on their options and quality nosedived too.  I thought Centerplate was pretty bad and when Aramark took over this past season, it is now possibly the worst stadium food in the metro area.

I like Nathan's a lot too but what they do to their fries by constantly undercooking them is a crime.

True.  The undercooked fries suck.  I wish they had a curly fry option, and maybe some higher end food options like at Yankee Stadium and, from what I hear, Barclay's Center and the newly renovated MSG.

Ditto.  Just makes me fustrated because the Rock is a really nice state of the art building and we are stuck with this as our food options inside the arena.

Thing is a lot of times especially during the week when I am coming from work I really do not have much time to grab a bite to eat.  I try to eat at the places outside the Rock as much as possible but there are times I get to the Rock a couple minutes before puck drop and cannot even stop for a slice of pizza.

Sorry, dude. One of the perks of being a teacher is I can make the games on time easy. I've stayed at work til 9 or 10 a ton of times, but if I have tickets, I'm out the door at 3.

Yeah I think it's tough I mean, the quality is definitely meh.. They've let it slip for sure, although I will say that Taste of Newark is still decent (gyros and Hobby's-style sandwiches were good this past season) plus the small stand in the Goal Bar typically has rotating specials from the chef.. I think their big issue is that a lot of people do eat outside the arena so it's almost becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy that less people eat inside, so they let quality slip, so people are less likely to enjoy the food inside and want to eat it again, so they let quality slip, etc, etc.. Overall though the food is too greasy

Here are my places I've deemed good:

- Goal Bar stand

- Gyro Zone

- Fake Hobby's

- Fake Jimmie Buff's (though greasy as a moro if you can handle it)

- The salad stand (over by Goal Bar)

- Glatt-Kosher food stand (because it literally has to be better quality)

- Any Premio stand

- The occasional carving stand

The burger stands suck.. Not a fan of the cheesesteaks.. Pizza typically sucks although the spinach stromboli ain't bad.. Am I missing any others? It's funny that I listed so many stands that are decent, but in reality, many of them are stand-alones only found at 1 spot in the Rock

I think it's also a matter of the food being a lot better than at CAA.. Man, that was some SH!T food.. It tasted like they stocked up on frozen crap during the 80's and just kept pulling from that same freezer.. Maybe becoming accustomed to the Rock, coupled with other venues in the area beefing up their offering, has made the Rock seem like it's gotten worse?

Edited by Colin226

I think it's also a matter of the food being a lot better than at CAA.. Man, that was some SH!T food.. It tasted like they stocked up on frozen crap during the 80's and just kept pulling from that same freezer.. Maybe becoming accustomed to the Rock, coupled with other venues in the area beefing up their offering, has made the Rock seem like it's gotten worse?

Ah, I remember my traditional meal at CAA for Devils and Nets games: a large Mt. Dew & and a king size KitKat.

Oh 12 year-old Devils Dose, your high-fructose whimsy was boundless!

Yeah I think it's tough I mean, the quality is definitely meh.. They've let it slip for sure, although I will say that Taste of Newark is still decent (gyros and Hobby's-style sandwiches were good this past season) plus the small stand in the Goal Bar typically has rotating specials from the chef.. I think their big issue is that a lot of people do eat outside the arena so it's almost becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy that less people eat inside, so they let quality slip, so people are less likely to enjoy the food inside and want to eat it again, so they let quality slip, etc, etc.. Overall though the food is too greasy

Here are my places I've deemed good:

- Goal Bar stand

- Gyro Zone

- Fake Hobby's

- Fake Jimmie Buff's (though greasy as a moro if you can handle it)

- The salad stand (over by Goal Bar)

- Glatt-Kosher food stand (because it literally has to be better quality)

- Any Premio stand

- The occasional carving stand

The burger stands suck.. Not a fan of the cheesesteaks.. Pizza typically sucks although the spinach stromboli ain't bad.. Am I missing any others? It's funny that I listed so many stands that are decent, but in reality, many of them are stand-alones only found at 1 spot in the Rock

They let the quality slip A LOT, especially in the last 2-3 years.  There are plenty of other stadiums in the area that are surrounded by places people can stop at before and after the game, but the quality inside the stadium is still at least decent.

While CAA did indeed have terrible food, the Rock is slowly slipping to that level to the point where I rather starve than to eat at the arena.  That's pretty much what I did with CAA.

Here is what I think of the stands that you put in the list.  Only a couple are decent.

- Goal Bar stand - WAS good when Centerplate ran it.  Now that Aramark does it is not much different than the other stands in the arena.

- Gyro Zone - Never cared for Gyros

- Fake Hobby's - It's fake and compared to other sandwich places at other stadiums it sucks.

- Fake Jimmie Buff's (though greasy as a moro if you can handle it) - They don't even make the italian hot dogs right.  They even served it on a regular hot dog bun instead of a quarter or half of pizza bread!  It's just a regular hot dog with crap on it now

- The salad stand (over by Goal Bar) - Meh, it's salad but extremely overpriced.

- Glatt-Kosher food stand (because it literally has to be better quality) - This is not bad.

- Any Premio stand - Rarely in the mood for italian sausage when at a game but this is not bad as well.

- The occasional carving stand - Occasional = 2-3 games a year.

Yeah it seems that the options have gone down quite a bit. Do they still have the Japanese food teriyaki on the main concourse?

They still have the Japanese place, but it is either sh!tty sushi or that absolutely disgusting "noodle bowl."  I had that noodle bowl once before and it was somewhere between $10-15 and it was small, mostly broth and very little noodles, saltier than the ocean and had an off taste to it.

If you go watch old clips on youtube of Chico Eats from the first season of the Devils at the Rock and compare them to this past year, you can even see how much the quality and variety of food has dipped.

Forgot Hobby's was fake now. More incentive to always eat Down Neck.

• 2 weeks later...

All this talk about how bad the food selection is at the Rock now compared to when it first opened made me want to go back and read the original thread about Food inside the Rock, which was started around the same time as this thread. But I can't find it. Bummer.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. The original "Food at The Rock" thread:

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33879&page=1

Edited by 95Crash

• 2 months later...