Devils reacquire Arnott from Nashville

reefgeek

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he's not really that far in decline. he had a bad shooting year last year. his stats just normally look crappy because you can only assuredly book him for 60 games a season. anything over is a bonus. statistically, he won't do worse than Zubrus would do. he would do worse than what Elias would likely do, but Elias is so fvcking bad at C at everything else. so, they both get freed up to play wing, and Zubrus looked encouraging as a top 6 wing when given something to play with.

someone else up front has to be traded and I expect them to be. it won't be Rolston, because if we're doing this, taking poison pills for poison pills isn't the way to get it done. it has to be Langenbrunner to get something back.

I don't see how this keeps them from signing Martin, but I'm not sure that they're going to sign him anyway. Kovalchuk is probably gone unless they dump Rolston, but he was gone anyway.

Quote from TG article:

Lamoriello said the trade will not have any impact on decisions to re-sign potential unrestricted free agents such as defenseman Paul Martin and left wing Ilya Kovalchuk.

“It doesn’t affect that,” he said. “We haven’t won in the last couple of years, so there will be changes and it has to make the team better.”

Quote from TG article:

Lamoriello said the trade will not have any impact on decisions to re-sign potential unrestricted free agents such as defenseman Paul Martin and left wing Ilya Kovalchuk.

“It doesn’t affect that,” he said. “We haven’t won in the last couple of years, so there will be changes and it has to make the team better.”

On that note, I still think Lou will feel he needs to shake up the roster by trading guys who were on last years team, not just acquire new guys.

The best part of this deal is that he only has one year left on his contract. He may take a discount next year in a lesser role. Halischuk just got passed by too many right wingers. There were too many prospects in the organization at the Albany level.

Parise - Zajac - Langenbrunner

Elias - Arnott - Zharkov

Rolston - Zubrus - Clarkson

Maybe Rolston straight up for Finger, then we send Finger down to the AHL. Cap hit gone.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

That's good news. I don't like the MacLean signing and I'm not sold on the Arnott trade, but I did like the Kovy trade and I'm glad something's happening around this team. I mean, realistically speaking: we are a playoff team every year, so a lot of things are right. Revolution isn't necessary, but some major tweaks are. This is an interesting offseason for sure. :e-drama: Wonder if we should put any stock in the Kaberle rumours (probably not, as they came from Neverson).

Edited by Revan

Well another retread move. Who's next Sykora? What's Randy McKay up to? Might as well sign Madden too. Need a backup goalie? Vanbiesbrouck!

I know this team needed another Center and Zajac and Arnott as Centers isn;t the worst 1-2 punch, but Arnott's cap hit officially ends Kovalchuk's stay unless there's other moves to be made or Kovalchuk signs short term deal for less $ (unlikely). The leadership improved, and Arnott is a big body so i guess that's two good things about this. That and the nostalgia that will surely come with it.

If the overhaul is going to begin, then this better be just a start. This team just got older and slower. Got to offset that in other areas.

IMO, Lou is not done yet.

Arnott really isn't very good at all anymore. Injuries are a major issue for him, he's breaking down, he's really slow now, he's below average on face-offs. With his cap hit, this is just not a good move, regardless of what they gave up for him.

He's always been slow. It just gets exaggerated now because the game is fast. And he's always been broken down. I would guess he's in better shape now than he was the first time here, or he'd go the way of Jeff Friesen.

It's preferable to Elias at C. I would have liked something more "modern", but I'll wait and see what kind of game they play. If it's more half-court oriented, he'll be fine, they got by with Brendan Shanahan and I think I could outskate him.

Pandolfo down to the AHL

Rolston for Finger, send Finger down to the AHL

Kovalchuk for 8 million Martin for 5 million Clakson for 1.75

Kovalchuk - Arnott - Elias

Palmieri - Zubrus - Clarkson

PLL - Josefson - Zharkov

Peters

Martin - White

Greene - Salvador

Corrente - Taormina/Salmela

Brodeur

Frazee (Just used him)

57 300 000

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Pandolfo down to the AHL

Rolston for Finger, send Finger down to the AHL

Kovalchuk for 8 million Martin for 5 million Clakson for 1.75

Kovalchuk - Arnott - Elias

Palmieri - Zubrus - Clarkson

PLL - Josefson - Zharkov

Peters

Martin - White

Greene - Salvador

Corrente - Taormina/Salmela

Brodeur

Frazee (Just used him)

57 300 000

that D is awful, and Kovalchuk and Arnott on the same line, will cause Elias to have a stroke with all of the BS he'd have to put up with. one guy is slow as sh!t, and the other guy takes off on a 1 on 4 rush every time he gets the puck, when they're supposed to be dumping and chasing. by the time Arnott gets to the offensive blue line, the other team is already breaking the puck back.

forget about Kovalchuk. I'd much rather use any supposed money for him on another defenseman, in addition to Martin.

Arnott isn't what he was ten years ago, but he's a decent stopgap until Josefson is ready. I won't mind seeing Arnott in a Devils jersey again.

he may not be what he used to be skill wise, but he's still the same "take no garbage" leader and we need that badly.

that D is awful, and Kovalchuk and Arnott on the same line, will cause Elias to have a stroke with all of the BS he'd have to put up with. one guy is slow as sh!t, and the other guy takes off on a 1 on 4 rush every time he gets the puck, when they're supposed to be dumping and chasing. by the time Arnott gets to the offensive blue line, the other team is already breaking the puck back.

forget about Kovalchuk. I'd much rather use any supposed money for him on another defenseman, in addition to Martin.

That made me laugh out loud.