Summer 2013 UFA/RFA Thread

Derlique

You're right I have no idea how long the deal would be, and that's not what I was even talking about.  We're using the Crawford contract as a measuring stick.  And I think if Schneider puts up the same numbers that he did in Vancouver, he could expect to get more, probably an AAV of $1 more per year than Crawford.  So if it makes you feel better, assuming Schneider puts up the stats I mentioned above, and that the Devils make the playoffs, six years, $45 million.  As I said, he's a better goalie than Crawford, and the Devils need Schneider a lot more than the Hawks need Crawford. 

And in a trade before or around the start of next year, Schneider could easily get you a first round pick from a good team or a second line forward prospect, especially from a team that got bad goal tending in the playoffs.  Whether you consider that a limited return, I can't tell you. 

ADDENDUM:  A $7.5 million cap hit for Schneider will also make things a wash so far as total goalie cap hit, which is now $8.5 million. 

What about Schneider leads you to believe he'll get paid more though? He's not handled a true starter load yet and he's not won in the playoffs like Crawford has and undoubtedly that gets you paid more in the NHL.

If Schneider takes us to the promised land next year, then we should start thinking about whether he'll get $6+M, but until then, I think it's entirely plausible he signs for less.

What about Schneider leads you to believe he'll get paid more though? He's not handled a true starter load yet and he's not won in the playoffs like Crawford has and undoubtedly that gets you paid more in the NHL.

If Schneider takes us to the promised land next year, then we should start thinking about whether he'll get $6+M, but until then, I think it's entirely plausible he signs for less.

To a large extent, it depends on how well he plays this year.  If he's putting up numbers like he did in Vancouver and the Devils are on their way to the playoffs, in my opinion anyway, that's enough of a track record to not worry about the fact he hasn't yet handled a full year as the number 1 goalie. 

Rask actually does not have that many more games under his belt than Schneider.  Same goes for Crawford.  True, those guys have the playoff track record that Schneider doesn't yet have.  But both Rask and Crawford were playing for better teams that won the Cup with different goalies in net the first time around. 

The advantage that Schneider has over Crawford is that the Devils need Schneider a lot more than the Hawks need Crawford.

Mark Lazerus of the Chicago Sun: With getting Corey Crawfordand Niklas Hjalmarsson locked up long-term, GM Stan Bowman will look to extend Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane next summer. Both currently have two years remaining on their deals that pay them both $6.3 million per season.

i dont know why but looking at this and seeing like Ana re-signing Perry and Getzlaf early and all those other teams locking up their franchise players even before their contracts are up. I somehow feel jealous, can't put my finger on why... but i really do feel jealous

i dont know why but looking at this and seeing like Ana re-signing Perry and Getzlaf early and all those other teams locking up their franchise players even before their contracts are up. I somehow feel jealous, can't put my finger on why... but i really do feel jealous

Yeah, I'd be jealous of a team that just signed lifetime .913 goalie Corey Crawford to a deal that takes him until he's 35.  Not to mention 5 years with Hjalmarsson, a player I like but who's not going to significantly outplay that contract.  And of course while NJ was contending for Cups in the late 90s early 00s, Chicago went through 10 years of being a total non-factor and NHL laughing stock, which is why they got Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews in the first place.

Edited by Triumph

Could you be any more annoying and stupidly repetitive?   

For one, as much as you seem to be incapable of realizing it, there's a new CBA in place...one that gives teams a nice edge in re-signing their own players...if these rules had been in place when Parise had been a UFA, very good chance he would've still been here.  And way to keep ignoring that Lou re-signed Zajac before his contract was up, and locked up Henrique to six years when he clearly didn't have to. 

This crap with you all goes back to Parise and you fvcking KNOW it, even though you won't admit it...get the fvck over it already and shut up with the lame jabs at Lou!  And if you're so friggin' jealous of other teams who apparently do everything "right", go root for one of them.  You won't be missed.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

For one, as much as you seem to be incapable of realizing it, there's a new CBA in place...one that gives teams a nice edge in re-signing their own players...if these rules had been in place when Parise had been a UFA, very good chance he would've still been here. And way to keep ignoring that Lou re-signed Zajac before his contract was up, and locked up Henrique to six years when he clearly didn't have to.

This crap with you all goes back to Parise and you fvcking KNOW it, even though you won't admit it...get the fvck over it already and shut up with the lame jabs at Lou! And if you're so friggin' jealous of other teams who apparently do everything "right", go root for one of them. You won't be missed.

CR, you might as well get ready to read the 5 paragraph reply on why we should've traded Parise at the deadline and/or the 'Lou should have done more to sign him, he didn't do everything he could, how come Lou didn't threaten his family' response, I mean its as sure a thing as death and taxes. Edited by MadDog2020

CR, you might as well get ready to read the 5 paragraph reply on why we should've traded Parise at the deadline and/or the 'Lou should have done more to sign him, he didn't do everything he could, how come Lou didn't threaten his family' response, I mean its as sure a thing as death and taxes.

Actually, it will be more along the lines of how no one understands what he REALLY means, but I don't even care how he responds anymore...no matter how nicely or thoroughly people try to explain things to SD, it all continuously goes over his head...I've just had enough.  I wish I could've taken DP26's tact...in fact, I probably should have, but eventually there's only so much one can take. 

lol

edit: okay i didnt want to reply anything but i'll just say this. There's nothing that i dont "get", i simply don't agree. Most of you guys are simply a bunch of hypocrite homers who would praise anything Lou does and refuse to admit when he does thing that hurt us. 

You'll use what he did "right" (which i agree he did a lot) to cover what he does wrong listing a bunch of things that he did and what we won and accomplished (and ignore it) and when a rival GM does something very right you guys will brush it off just calling off the bad moves he did. I'm just not that hypocrite sorry. We see this a lot with Shero, he didnt get the results he should have lately but he did GREAT in the last few years, a lot better than Lou but yet most of you will just bash him cause he's the Pens GM. I dont like him either and the Pens but gotta give credits where its due

And then you'll base whats the "right" thing to do in your mind based on the way Lou does things. It's not and our lack of depth and talent on the team right now at the moment and us losing quite possibly a top pick this year is a result of all that.

Edited by SterioDesign

For one, as much as you seem to be incapable of realizing it, there's a new CBA in place...one that gives teams a nice edge in re-signing their own players...if these rules had been in place when Parise had been a UFA, very good chance he would've still been here.  And way to keep ignoring that Lou re-signed Zajac before his contract was up, and locked up Henrique to six years when he clearly didn't have to. 

This crap with you all goes back to Parise and you fvcking KNOW it, even though you won't admit it...get the fvck over it already and shut up with the lame jabs at Lou!  And if you're so friggin' jealous of other teams who apparently do everything "right", go root for one of them.  You won't be missed.     

You should save this brilliantly true post, and just copy-paste it every time SD brings this up again.

Parise is way, way overpaid. Let's be honest, that contract is not going to look good in a few years. It sucks he's gone, but I thought we were all happy that we wouldn't have to deal with a declining 33 year old Parise at a $7-8 million cap hit for 7 more years. It would have been worse while Kovalchuk was still in the picture.

lol

edit: okay i didnt want to reply anything but i'll just say this. There's nothing that i dont "get", i simply don't agree. Most of you guys are simply a bunch of hypocrite homers who would praise anything Lou does and refuse to admit when he does thing that hurt us. 

You'll use what he did "right" (which i agree he did a lot) to cover what he does wrong listing a bunch of things that he did and what we won and accomplished (and ignore it) and when a rival GM does something very right you guys will brush it off just calling off the bad moves he did. I'm just not that hypocrite sorry. We see this a lot with Shero, he didnt get the results he should have lately but he did GREAT in the last few years, a lot better than Lou but yet most of you will just bash him cause he's the Pens GM. I dont like him either and the Pens but gotta give credits where its due

And then you'll base whats the "right" thing to do in your mind based on the way Lou does things. It's not and our lack of depth and talent on the team right now at the moment and us losing quite possibly a top pick this year is a result of all that.

The Devils have way more depth than the Penguins.  But go be a Penguins fan or a Blackhawks fan or any of the 10 other franchises who are in a definitely better spot than NJ.  Better yet, get ahead of the curve, be a Calgary fan, that way in 5 years you might be rooting for a winner that's really going places.

Parise is way, way overpaid. Let's be honest, that contract is not going to look good in a few years. It sucks he's gone, but I thought we were all happy that we wouldn't have to deal with a declining 33 year old Parise at a $7-8 million cap hit for 7 more years. It would have been worse while Kovalchuk was still in the picture.

It didn't look good THIS year, after their playoff round. Minnesota Wild fans everywhere started to acknowledge that maybe we were right about him disappearing in the playoffs.

Losing Parise sucked majorly at first but just kinda sucks now.  By the end of this coming season I won't care anymore and by the end of the season after that I will be glad we are not stuck with him and that contract.

The end.

Until he's brought back once Minnesota buys him out in about.. 6 years, tops.