2012 NFL Front Office Carousel

Hi, I'm VALUE!

Reassigning Tony Sparano and acquiring Norv Turner would be the best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned. If you're Rex however, you better have rear-view mirrors installed on your headset. Not much comfort being HC with 2 guys behind you that have over 80 wins combined as a Head Coach since 2007, and have experience coaching playoff games.

..this is the biggest upcoming season for Ryan yet. If the Jets miss the playoffs, he's done!

Reassigning Tony Sparano and acquiring Norv Turner would be the best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned. If you're Rex however, you better have rear-view mirrors installed on your headset. Not much comfort being HC with 2 guys behind you that have over 80 wins combined as a Head Coach since 2007, and have experience coaching playoff games.

..this is the biggest upcoming season for Ryan yet. If the Jets miss the playoffs, he's done!

Sparano is not likely to get another head coaching job and seems to be climbling down the ladder, if anything (though he still has the OC job as of today), and God knows how Turner managed to hang onto his job as long as he did with the Chargers. He's 114-122-1 in three stops ('Skins, Raiders, and Chargers), and never really impressed in any of them. He had talent to work with in San Diego too, so it's not like his record there (56-40) is really all that impressive (especially when he was criticized on an almost yearly basis there). That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if he got one last chance somewhere, though I think he'll probably have to impress a LOT as an OC somewhere before he'd get a 4th shot to be a head coach.

If Sparano ever was given the Jets' HC job, the organization would be roasted and ridiculed daily.

If Turner was given the job after a successful OC run, especially as a Jet, it wouldn't be nearly as criticized, though his past follies would be brought up quite a bit, especially if the team were to start slowly under his watch...the only thing that can really be said about Turner's coaching career is that he somehow avoids the ax, as he's coached 237 NFL games, despite never being considered a particularly good head coach. But if he came here as the OC, got Sanchez and Co. going, and the team still wasn't winning...he'd be like the back-up QB when the starting QB is struggling...more and more people would want to see him get a shot. But that's probably getting way ahead of ourselves.

Sparano is not likely to get another head coaching job and seems to be climbling down the ladder, if anything (though he still has the OC job as of today), and God knows how Turner managed to hang onto his job as long as he did with the Chargers. He's 114-122-1 in three stops ('Skins, Raiders, and Chargers), and never really impressed in any of them. He had talent to work with in San Diego too, so it's not like his record there (56-40) is really all that impressive (especially when he was criticized on an almost yearly basis there). That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if he got one last chance somewhere, though I think he'll probably have to impress a LOT as an OC somewhere before he'd get a 4th shot to be a head coach.

If Sparano ever was given the Jets' HC job, the organization would be roasted and ridiculed daily.

If Turner was given the job after a successful OC run, especially as a Jet, it wouldn't be nearly as criticized, though his past follies would be brought up quite a bit, especially if the team were to start slowly under his watch...the only thing that can really be said about Turner's coaching career is that he somehow avoids the ax, as he's coached 237 NFL games, despite never being considered a particularly good head coach. But if he came here as the OC, got Sanchez and Co. going, and the team still wasn't winning...he'd be like the back-up QB when the starting QB is struggling...more and more people would want to see him get a shot. But that's probably getting way ahead of ourselves.

I think the only way either one of them become the head coach on the Jets is as an in-season quick replacement for Rex after a slow start.

Reid to AZ makes sense, worked with Kolb before, doesn't believe in running the ball....EVER....good for Fitz....doesn't believe in blocking, so no need to upgrade the awful O-Line there.....sounds good to me!!

I'm gonna laugh out loud and be mad all at once if Wisenhunt goes to Buffalo

Be nice to see this talk of an OC in Dallas come true....

I don't think Rex has anything to fear as Sparano is never going to be an NFL head coach, just not a very good coach in general and Turner has proven even with talent he can't go very far. Turner has NOTHING to work with IF he came to the Jets.

I'm not suggesting that Sparano is a lock to return in a different role, but the way Woody hates eating contracts, I don't see him being a one-and-done guy with 2 yeas left on his deal. With DeGuglielmo, Cavanaugh, Pettine, Westhoff, Devlin, and Tannenbaum all either already gone or with one foot in the grave.. it would help to retain some sort of familiarity back to the team. With the exception(s) in keeping Ryan & Sanchez, the Jets have done their fair share in admitting their faults this season. -starting with bringing back Braylon. Rex has humiliated himself enough.. why pour salt on an open wound and fire the guy he handed picked as his OC, when you can simply reassign him to a role more suited for his skills?

..as far as Norv Turner goes, if he seriously wants another crack at being a Head Coach, he'll go to the Jets.

There's not many teams looking for a new OC as it is, and the ones that are don't nearly have as bad an offense as the Jets. Say he goes to the Steelers ranked 19th.. is he going to get recognition there with Big Ben as his QB? Or if the Eagles improve from 15th to 9th, how much publicity would\could he get? The Jets only have one way to go next season - up. If Norv took an offense ranked 30th, and even took it to 13th in one season, it would put him on the map. You know the Jets are going to spend on offensive talent this offseason, so why not sign on with a team that at least has a Top 10 running game and defense if you're Turner?

Reid to AZ makes sense, worked with Kolb before, doesn't believe in running the ball....EVER....good for Fitz....doesn't believe in blocking, so no need to upgrade the awful O-Line there.....sounds good to me!!

I'm gonna laugh out loud and be mad all at once if Wisenhunt goes to Buffalo

Be nice to see this talk of an OC in Dallas come true....

They'd be better served signing Alex Smith if he's available.

Wisenhunt to Buffalo? Meh....this guy CHOSE Matt Leinart over Kurt Warner and he is a supposed offensive minded coach? Pass.

Lovie Smith? Last time Buffalo hired a former 'nice guy' coach from Chicago...it was Richard Jauron...PASS....

The biggest development for Buffalo is not a new coach, it is that Ralph Wilson will not meddle any longer and now they finally have a face of the franchise and 1 voice in Russ Brandon...he made some very interesting comments in his presser: 1. They will not spare any expense on hiring a Head Coach and 2. They are going to a 'Moneyball' analytics approach...Oh boy, this should be a sight to see.

I will believe Point 1 when I see it....

I would like to see Buffalo go after Chip Kelly, John Gruden, Mike Zimmer, or Syracuse Head Coach Barrone (who is very highly regarded by Belichek)

As for the Jets: Tanny had to go...Sanchez has been a bust from Day 1 and to me, he faied them even when Sanchez was drafted...the Jets had a SB caliber team and despite Sanchez, they got to 2 AFC Title games...if the Jets got another good QB at that time, a SB would have been very likely.

Sanchez hasn't been a bust entirely...he has four playoff wins, and he played well in those games. His first-year numbers were dreadful, but that's not that uncommon for guys who become starting QBs in their first year. His postseason performance is by far the strongest part of his resume to date...his regular season numbers are pretty bad, especially in this era. He has now thrown for more picks than TDs, and all of his other regular numbers are not good.

Sanchez hasn't been a bust entirely...he has four playoff wins, and he played well in those games. His first-year numbers were dreadful, but that's not that uncommon for guys who become starting QBs in their first year. His postseason performance is by far the strongest part of his resume to date...his regular season numbers are pretty bad, especially in this era. He has now thrown for more picks than TDs, and all of his other regular numbers are not good.

Sanchez was successful because he had an OC that understood his stregths and weaknesses and didn't put him in a position to fail. I know the Jets fans don't want to hear this but Schott's game plans in the playoffs were brilliant en route to the AFC championship games. The team just didn't have the talent to go one more level.

Has there been a QB in the last twenty years that regressed as badly as Sanchez and gotten it back together? I can't really think of one.

Has there been a QB in the last twenty years that regressed as badly as Sanchez and gotten it back together? I can't really think of one.

He has his work cut out for him for sure...my point was that, in spite of some of the fugly numbers Sanchez has put up, he's not a total bust YET...when I think pure busts, I think guys like Ryan Leaf, Heath Shuler, etc. At least Sanchez has SOMETHING positive in his NFL career (good postseason numbers, and four postseason victories). There are QBs who can't say that.

Others have been worse obviously but it's hard for me to think of one whose numbers are as bad as Sanchez's for four full years that got a fifth season. Alex Smith's the closest comparable I can think of offhand. He had 50 starts in his first six years (hurt for all of one season, started only parts of two others), while Sanchez has had 62 in four.

Smith - 864/1514 - 57.1 comp. pct, 53 total TD (2 rushing), 69 total turnovers (53 INT, 16 fumbles)

Sanchez - 1028/1867 - 55.1 comp. pct, 80 total TD (12 rushing), 89 total turnovers (69 INT, 20 fumbles)

It's actually striking how close the passing/turnover numbers are, not including Sanchez's extra 10 running TD's and the fact he has 350+ more passes in 12 more starts. Of course Smith had Harbaugh come in and I'm not sure any QB guru's going to walk through the door next year for us, certainly isn't Rex.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Alex Smith.......

You could say Rich Gannon pre-Gruden and post-Gruden too.....

Edited by CRASHER

Speaking of strugging QB's, one of the funniest ironies of this offseason is Kevin Kolb's probably praying Reid goes to Arizona, after Reid got rid of him. Unless Reid also brings Vick into Arizona and replaces Kolb with him AGAIN :lol:

Edited by NJDevs4978

Alex Smith.......

You could say Rich Gannon pre-Gruden and post-Gruden too.....

I wouldn't put Alex Smith in that category. Smith never looked completely lost like Sanchez did this year, and it was understood that he was put in a terrible situation from the start.

Gannon was more of a journeyman backup before he got a chance in Oakland, so I din't think that counts either.

The Bills hired Doug Marrone as their head coach. The Bills are hilarious.

I don't know much about him, so hard to judge the hire.

Didn't have a great record at Syracuse, but it shouldn't necessarily be held against him. College success comes down to recruiting, which isn't a factor in the pro-game.

Whatever the case though, the Bills obviously had no success going the retread route, and it was doubtful that a high profile guy like Cowher would ever take that job.

I don't know much about him, so hard to judge the hire.

Didn't have a great record at Syracuse, but it shouldn't necessarily be held against him. College success comes down to recruiting, which isn't a factor in the pro-game.

Whatever the case though, the Bills obviously had no success going the retread route, and it was doubtful that a high profile guy like Cowher would ever take that job.

From all accounts he didn't do that bad a job at Syracuse and who knows- maybe he turns out to be a good coach. But it's typical Bills to go the cheap unknown route, as opposed to hiring a more expensive name coach like Lovey Smith or Ken Whisenhunt, both of whom have coached in Super Bowls recently. Hopefully Marrone blows like every other coach they've had since Levy though.

Well once upon a time Marv Levy was cheap and unknown...and old.

Cowher is an overrate prick. He's looking for a place that give him full control of everything right down to how toilet paper is hung in the bathrooms. He's not good enough to make those demands.

Maybe this sounds stupid, I've said it before and I'll say it again

Cowher is only 55, he might be sending feelers here and their...but he's really quietly hoping to take over the Steelers again. They lost to a mediocre Bronco team with Tebow at QB in 2011, disastrously missed the playoffs this year. If they miss again next year Tomlin could be gone.

So he loses Lee, Ratliff, Spencer, Carter and Ware by the end of the season, and ROB RYAN gets fired?!?!?!?!?!?

Are you fraking kidding me Jerry??? Year after year you keep and promote that inept soulless ginger who's been here close to a DECADE and you actually fire the ONE COACH WHO ACTUALLY DID HIS JOB AND IMPROVED THE DAMN DEFENSE EVERY YEAR?!??!?!?!? *sigh*......I've had it......I can't root for this team anymore until something near fatal happens to Jerry Jones.....thank God I own four XFL jerseys....I'm gonna need them for next year.....

un-damned-believable.........