Shiza! Kariya And Selanne Sign W/Col

Weekes Head

If that contract is really as reported, how angry is the NHLPA at Kariya right now????

Tough sh!t I say. He made them happy for years with that $10M contract.

I agree. But I'm just trying to picture Goodenow out on the ledge. After all, this is the guy who was po'd at Marty for signing an RFA contract for 5 years, $40 million.

He must be going NUTS. :evil::evil::clap::clap::clap:

That and the fact that Marty and Stevens don't use agents. Gotta love it. Maybe he'll quit out of frustration.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this one?

rant2.gif

if ever you want to know this stuff just quote the poster and look at the code!

Or right click properties...that's what I always do.

The ones I use are usually on my personal webspace.

I saw -- sorry i lifted it -- normally I wouldn't do that! it's a great smilie -- I covet it even!

Steal all you want. That folder is full of them, and I add more as I find them.

Thought this was funny (from a ducks board):action-smiley-047.gif

Welcome to the board of the 2003-2004 Mighty Hurricanes, er, Ducks!

"What a GLORIoUS day! Finally PK can have an opportunity to showcase his talent instead of continuosly wasting away his youth in this go-nowhere organization! I can hear the ticket cancellations ringing into the front office as I type! The bandwagon has officially de-railed, and the Mighty Flukes have lost their marquee player... and for a paltry 1.2 million!!! Well, I guess that shows how much "loyalty" Kariya had for these bunch of ice capadeers! "Next year, different outcome.... ON A DIFFERENT TEAM!!!!! Good luck getting to the SCF... yet alone the playoffs, the mother duck has waddled onward to newer, better ponds and left his flock to wither and decay in this rot of a "team". Hey, he'll still get to wear a "C" too, as in "C"olorado and "C"hampion.... beats the hell out of the "C"hump he wore in Anaheim for so, so long!

-D4"

FANTASY SPIN 1000.jpg

http://msn.espn.go.com/nhl/news/2003/0703/1576273.html

In adding Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne to Peter Forsberg, Milan Hejduk and Joe Sakic, the Colorado Avalanche have assembled one of the most potent offensive quintets in recent memory. While draft positions for all five will be a topic of much fantasy debate, an even bigger question is who joins those players if they form the core of the top two lines?

For more on this trade from a fantasy perspective, click here!

Heeheehee just got an email from my husband -- he said re: Kariya's salary

"looks like that Stevens hit did more damage then we realized"

:lol:

Someone pointed out to me that Kariya may be taking one shot to win with the Avs this year, then, since his salary will be below the NHL median and he has 10 years in the league, as long as that provision doesn't change under the CBA he would become a UFA again. Interesting.

Whoever told you that is spot on Sue, I was wondering if there was a clause in the contract that said he would become UFA after this deal, but no.. it's because of the deal itself that he will become UFA.. very interesting.

Donald Audette tried something similar, he wanted less money than the Sabres were offering him so he could get the Group V exception, but they wouldn't do it, so they sent him to LA..

If he's taking that amount to try to win the cup, then I get it, but why can;t he sign a 1 year deal, wouldn;t that make him a UFA????

Something sounds fishy to me!!

He did sign a 1-yr deal. He will become a UFA next July. And if the Floppy one really does retire, he'll probably get a nice chunk of Floppy's current $$$ if he stays in Colorado.

If he's taking that amount to try to win the cup, then I get it, but why can;t he sign a 1 year deal, wouldn;t that make him a UFA????

Something sounds fishy to me!!

Red after this season, who knows whether there will be the same rules regarding free agency with the new CBA.(If there is one.) :unsure:

I think it's the right move.

I don't think Kariya wants a huge payday, but rather he wants longterm security, which he isn't going to get this year. If he signs for 5-8 million this year, he won't be UFA and would have to play out that contract until he became UFA, which would be, barring no labor stoppage, July 1, 2006. That's three more years of being RFA, being subject to arbitration and that hassle.

He gets to play with Selanne, too, and then he gets a payday with longterm security afterwards. And Rock, I imagine all the new free agency rules will have grandfather clauses for at least a year...meaning Kariya will still be able to pull this off.

It's really a win-win situation for Kariya, he gets a chance for the Cup and to play with the player he had the most success with, then longterm contract somewhere else to probably finish out his career.

3 things wrong with that sentence.

#1: He is a RFA looking for like a 110% increase.

#2: A little thing called Goalie Equipment Restrictions.

#3: He isn't the best goalie in the league.

#1 I'm sure he's looking for WAY more that 110%.

#2 This is somewhat bullsh!t, larger pads never helped Snow.

#3 True.

My thoughts -- sorry if they overlap others. I don't have the time to read through 12 pages of thoughts right now. :)

Kariya-Sakic-Selanne is a frightening line, but they do still lack a solid goaltender and their defense is suspect right about now. I could see them trying to swing a deal for a goaltender involving Tanguay and a role player like Messier plus a prospect -- looks like Phoenix is the major frontrunner in that race. And if they sign Leech, I'll be furious.

Kariya did end up playing with Selanne after all -- just in a different sweater.

As far as the Ducks are concerned, I think if they signed Whitney he'd be the perfect straight-up replacement for Kariya. Both are smallish players that excel on the PP, though Kariya's a better overall player. If they could land Whitney and someone like Prospal, they'd be in better shape than this past year theoretically, I'd argue. Plus, now Rucchin can wear the C with pride, like he should have been doing for the past few years.