Chico makes his retirement official

dmann422

I want to congratulate Chico on a great career. He is one of the classiest hockey people I ever met. A true gentleman. I was fortunate to work on Devils games in '00-01 and those were a gem. It definitely changed my perspective. At the end of the day, these are just people who get to play and cover the best sport. It was a great experience.

My fondest memory of Chico will always be when before a Thrashers game during the morning skate, I was studying the stats and noticed that the 2 teams had the most hat tricks in the league. To sum it up, I told him and later on the telecast in the third, he used it. I'll never forget Mr. Resch mentioning me on air when the production truck put the graphic up. That was an ultra cool moment. Between that and getting the opportunity to see the best broadcaster in the business Doc prepare and Stan starting every meeting with a cheesy joke, it was a blast. My last game, I remember saying my goodbyes. It was emotional. Little did I know that a few years later I'd see Chico at MSG for the Rangers first round series in '06. I can still recall him saying, "Pretty big night."

That was Chico. He is one of the nicest people. I am glad the broadcast paid tribute to him. He was the Devils. That part will be missed. Devil broadcasts won't be the same. I loved seeing all the old clips. Great production from a bunch of quality people. I'm glad you all treated him so nicely and chanted his name till the conclusion of the MSG broadcast. He deserved it. At least they'll have Ken Daneyko in the booth. He'll do great.

I took a whiz next to Chico in the old Continental Airlines Arena. That's right, he used the regular people's bathroom. And he obeyed standard urinal rules. No talking, eyes front. No junk peeking. 

His color commentary was always enjoyable, I especially enjoyed the last game, where he completely through away any thoughts of him not being a homer and was outright cheering for Marty throughout the game. 

I said this in the game day thread. I love his passion for this team. Just another reason we need that Devils ring of fire because Chico deserves to be there.

Chico helped to build this team.  He gave this franchise character when it had none and leadership and the few leaders were incessantly traded away.  As CR76 has noted, he was there thru the tough times and helped some of our younger players to grow.  Most of them moved on as well, but many brought us back other assets that became parts of our championship teams, so I don't think it is an overstatement to say that, in his own way, Chico contributed to changing the character of one of the worst sports franchises of its day. 

I, for one, will miss you Chico.  You were my favorite Devil growing up and I hated seeing you in a Flyers sweater (although he deserved a little success before he retired) and I'm going to miss you now.  All the best my friend!

I took a whiz next to Chico in the old Continental Airlines Arena. That's right, he used the regular people's bathroom. And he obeyed standard urinal rules. No talking, eyes front. No junk peeking. 

His color commentary was always enjoyable, I especially enjoyed the last game, where he completely through away any thoughts of him not being a homer and was outright cheering for Marty throughout the game. 

This would make a interesting blog:

People I have taken a whiz next to.....

This would make a interesting blog:

People I have taken a whiz next to.....

I'd need contributors, because I can't think of any other people I have taken a whiz next to.

I think Whizzin' With the Stars would have to be the title. 

I'd need contributors, because I can't think of any other people I have taken a whiz next to.

I think Whizzin' With the Stars would have to be the title. 

Oh, I'll start......

-Doc Emerik

-Ed Too Tall Jones

that's all I got

Oh man, Chico is a legend.  I loved watching him call games.  He was a homer and goalie apologist but that was part of his charm. 

One of my favorite shticks between Doc and Chico is when Chico would make some sort of pro-goalie comment like "Nothing he could have done there, he had no chance on that shot," and Doc would reply with a mocking friendly jab like, "Of course it's not his fault, he's a goalie, most important player on the ice."